Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Cat

Default Top Cat

Hey Officer Dibble! A Hanna-Barbera tv production that began in the early 60's. They were alley cats who were always getting into trouble with Officer Dibble for making such a racket with their makeshift band.These were some of the characters:Benny the BallChoo-ChooBrainFancy-FancySpookOfficer DibbleOther Hanna-Barbera productions included: The Flintstones, The Yogi Bear Show, The Jetsons, Wacky Races, Scooby-Doo & Huckleberry Hound.

More...

Default Re: Top Cat

In the UK it was known as Boss Cat as Top Cat was a brand of cat food. I don't think they went as far as changing the title song to reflect this, though.

Some of Top Cat's gang, including TC himself, were inspired from characters in The Phil Silvers Show.

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    In the UK it was known as Boss Cat as Top Cat was a brand of cat food. I don't think they went as far as changing the title song to reflect this, though.

Some of Top Cat's gang, including TC himself, were inspired from characters in The Phil Silvers Show.
    Yes, I remember "Boss Cat". I always liked Benny, who was clearly based on Doberman.

I think the character of Officer Dibble may also have been inspired by Officer Krupke from West Side Story

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yellow-dog-gee-officer-krupke-1978-s.jpg  
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    I think the character of Officer Dibble may also have been inspired by Officer Krupke from West Side Story

I never considered that, but there is a similarity between the characters

Cool Re: Top Cat

Always loved Topcat, when walking or running anywhere he would pass the same background scenery 50 times!, officer Dibble had nothing better to do than chase moggies out of an alley when he should of been arresting murderers and litter louts. Have to say i prefered Scooby doo (post scrappy era) when it was always old man withers wot dunnit...he would of got away with it too if not for them pesky kids!

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Always loved Topcat, when walking or running anywhere he would pass the same background scenery 50 times!, officer Dibble had nothing better to do than chase moggies out of an alley when he should of been arresting murderers and litter louts. Have to say i prefered Scooby doo (post scrappy era) when it was always old man withers wot dunnit...he would of got away with it too if not for them pesky kids!

Scooby Do was far superior to Top Cat imo--excepting when Scrappy was bringing it all down. I am old enough to remember the run of the original Scooby Do series on British TV--coming home from school and watching it was a highlight of the week. It might have been shown on fridays. In the earlier series, there would be a musical interlude when an original pop song would be played usually when Scooby, Shaggy etc were being chased by that week's villan. Later series also featured guest stars. I recall the Harlem Globetrotters and Mama Cass turning up. And I will admit that I had a crush on Daphne.

The Globetrotters has their own series for a while
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Cool Re: Top Cat

Scooby Do was far superior to Top Cat imo--excepting when Scrappy was bringing it all down. I am old enough to remember the run of the original Scooby Do series on British TV--coming home from school and watching it was a highlight of the week. It might have been shown on fridays. In the earlier series, there would be a musical interlude when an original pop song would be played usually when Scooby, Shaggy etc were being chased by that week's villan. Later series also featured guest stars. I recall the Harlem Globetrotters and Mama Cass turning up. And I will admit that I had a crush on Daphne.
    Agreed, Scooby doo followed closely by Wacky races!

BBC 1 ANNOUNCER: "Now on BBC 1 - Boss Cat"

THEME TUNE: "Da-da-da Top Cat..."

I know that the Flintstones and Scooby swapped sides from BBC to ITV and back again - I have always wondered if TC (or BC) had made it to the ITV regions, whether they would have called it Boss Cat rather than its original title. No doubt that they wouldn't have been able to show Top Cat food adverts around it...
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).