Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top Cat

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Yes there was, but it was mostly intended for the American market & not shown in the UK for years.
    Also The Osmonds, Jackson Five...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
      Also The Osmonds, Jackson Five...
      I remember Motown reissued I Want You Back as a cash-in not long after Michael Released Bad, & the video was a montage of clips from their cartoons.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

There was also Josie and the Pussycats, and the later Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space, which featured a girl group.

The Archies--though not sure if this was ever shown in the UK.

The Bugaloos, a very odd mixture of live action and animation. The main characters transformed into animated insects when they were singing...hope I've gotten that right.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post

The Archies--though not sure if this was ever shown in the UK.
          They had a number one hit called "Sugar, Sugar" in the UK, so I would assume that it was shown at some point. The main singer's name escapes me, but he also sung on the Cufflinks' song Tracy which was in the charts around the same time.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember Sugar Sugar by The Archies being released in 1969. When it was shown on TOTP it showed the group as animated characters as it was taken from the TV series. The thing is that I didn't associate this animated pop group with a TV series, which makes me think that the series wasn't shown in the UK, as I would have been just the right age to have watched it.

The Archies was based on a comic and radio series from the 1940s/50s. Archie Andrews was the main character, with Jughead being his best friend. Neighbour Betty and the posher Veronica vied for Archie's affections in the comic and radio series, and I presume in the animated series as well.

Comment

The Canadian Andy Kim - he of Rock Me Gently fame - co-wrote and featured on this. Also, Ray "The Streak" Stevens did, performing... handclaps!

The Archies also did a song called Get On The Line on an album. This was later covered by The Sweet on one of theirs.

Co-incidentally, The Sweet's first hit, Funny Funny, was an attempt to write an Archies-like hit! It was released on RCA Victor over here, the same label as... Sugar Sugar!

Comment

The Canadian Andy Kim - he of Rock Me Gently fame - co-wrote and featured on this. Also, Ray "The Streak" Stevens did, performing... handclaps!

The Archies also did a song called Get On The Line on an album. This was later covered by The Sweet on one of theirs.

Co-incidentally, The Sweet's first hit, Funny Funny, was an attempt to write an Archies-like hit! It was released on RCA Victor over here, the same label as... Sugar Sugar!
                Dont remember funny funny at all, i always thought coco was the first hit single for the sweet. loved the jamaican steel drums on this.
                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                  Dont remember funny funny at all, i always thought coco was the first hit single for the sweet. loved the jamaican steel drums on this.
                  Yep, reached the dizzy heights of Number 13 on the UK singles chart in 1971

Attached Files

Comment

The same song that makes me think of that mid 1980s Jif cream cleaner advert... I often confuse him with Andy Fairweather Low formerly of Amen Corner, or however his last name is spelt.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                    X