Top Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Cat

Hey Officer Dibble! A Hanna-Barbera tv production that began in the early 60's. They were alley cats who were always getting into trouble with Officer Dibble for making such a racket with their makeshift band.These were some of the characters:Benny the BallChoo-ChooBrainFancy-FancySpookOfficer DibbleOther Hanna-Barbera productions included: The Flintstones, The Yogi Bear Show, The Jetsons, Wacky Races, Scooby-Doo & Huckleberry Hound.

More...

Re: Top Cat

In the UK it was known as Boss Cat as Top Cat was a brand of cat food. I don't think they went as far as changing the title song to reflect this, though.

Some of Top Cat's gang, including TC himself, were inspired from characters in The Phil Silvers Show.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
      In the UK it was known as Boss Cat as Top Cat was a brand of cat food. I don't think they went as far as changing the title song to reflect this, though.

Some of Top Cat's gang, including TC himself, were inspired from characters in The Phil Silvers Show.
      Yes, I remember "Boss Cat". I always liked Benny, who was clearly based on Doberman.

Comment

I think the character of Officer Dibble may also have been inspired by Officer Krupke from West Side Story

Attached Files
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
          I think the character of Officer Dibble may also have been inspired by Officer Krupke from West Side Story

I never considered that, but there is a similarity between the characters

Comment

Always loved Topcat, when walking or running anywhere he would pass the same background scenery 50 times!, officer Dibble had nothing better to do than chase moggies out of an alley when he should of been arresting murderers and litter louts. Have to say i prefered Scooby doo (post scrappy era) when it was always old man withers wot dunnit...he would of got away with it too if not for them pesky kids!
            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
              Always loved Topcat, when walking or running anywhere he would pass the same background scenery 50 times!, officer Dibble had nothing better to do than chase moggies out of an alley when he should of been arresting murderers and litter louts. Have to say i prefered Scooby doo (post scrappy era) when it was always old man withers wot dunnit...he would of got away with it too if not for them pesky kids!

Scooby Do was far superior to Top Cat imo--excepting when Scrappy was bringing it all down. I am old enough to remember the run of the original Scooby Do series on British TV--coming home from school and watching it was a highlight of the week. It might have been shown on fridays. In the earlier series, there would be a musical interlude when an original pop song would be played usually when Scooby, Shaggy etc were being chased by that week's villan. Later series also featured guest stars. I recall the Harlem Globetrotters and Mama Cass turning up. And I will admit that I had a crush on Daphne.

Comment

The Globetrotters has their own series for a while
                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Scooby Do was far superior to Top Cat imo--excepting when Scrappy was bringing it all down. I am old enough to remember the run of the original Scooby Do series on British TV--coming home from school and watching it was a highlight of the week. It might have been shown on fridays. In the earlier series, there would be a musical interlude when an original pop song would be played usually when Scooby, Shaggy etc were being chased by that week's villan. Later series also featured guest stars. I recall the Harlem Globetrotters and Mama Cass turning up. And I will admit that I had a crush on Daphne.
                  Agreed, Scooby doo followed closely by Wacky races!

Comment

BBC 1 ANNOUNCER: "Now on BBC 1 - Boss Cat"

THEME TUNE: "Da-da-da Top Cat..."

I know that the Flintstones and Scooby swapped sides from BBC to ITV and back again - I have always wondered if TC (or BC) had made it to the ITV regions, whether they would have called it Boss Cat rather than its original title. No doubt that they wouldn't have been able to show Top Cat food adverts around it...
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Scooby Doo seemed to switch between BBC & ITV a few times over the years, but I don't remember any other Hanna Barbera cartoons switching.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Clare View Post
                        Yes, I remember "Boss Cat". I always liked Benny, who was clearly based on Doberman.

Played by the same actor, no less.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                          The Globetrotters has their own series for a while
                          Yeah i remember this,also have a vague recollection of a Beatles cartoon?

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                            Yeah i remember this,also have a vague recollection of a Beatles cartoon?
                            Yes there was, but it was mostly intended for the American market & not shown in the UK for years.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I saw a Top Cat animated Movie DVD at the weekend at a flea market!

Comment

Working...
                              X