milk in a can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milk in a can

In the early 90s (i think) I remember being able to get UHT milk in a can in the newsagents. It was kept in the fridge with all the cans of soft drink and was about the same size, perhaps a little bigger. The 'can' was blue and white with a bumpy bottom. It might have actually been plastic but it had a metal top and ring pull. Can anybody remember if it had a brand name? Or was it just called milk?
    1976 Vintage

Re: milk in a can

It may have been called 'Milkcan' but I could be wrong. I do remember it though because I used to like drinking milk and it was an interesting innovation, and the milk wasn't that bad either.

When I was at college in the early-to-mid '90s you could also get cartons of milk from the refectory which were a third of a pint. I used to drink those as well.
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I know, lots of people heave at milk, especially UHT but I've always loved it. I got those cans quite often and now I have to get cartons. I get some funny looks at work when I buy one to drink with my lunch. Want to say "What? It's not just for tea and coffee and cornflakes." No osteoporosis for me lol.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I don't remember ever having seen milk in a can but as a small kid in the early '70s I used to be fascinated by tiny cans of what seemed to be orange juice in the freezer cabinets of supermarkets.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
          I know, lots of people heave at milk, especially UHT but I've always loved it. I got those cans quite often and now I have to get cartons. I get some funny looks at work when I buy one to drink with my lunch. Want to say "What? It's not just for tea and coffee and cornflakes." No osteoporosis for me lol.
          cant remember cans of milk mate.
          i so remember cartons of milk though.
          i can never find them where i live.
          it mostly big supermarkets where iam.
          and they so not sell them.

but yes i have brought bottles of milk in to woel and i got some odd looks.
          and it was uht milk as well.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Anyone remember pyramid shaped milk cartons???

Comment

I remember the cartons of milk these were used at primary school for ages after i left instead of the ickle bottles.I also remember every day the teacher would choose a certain kid to hand out the bottles of milk and on the days when one of the odd kids who smelt of wee and had snot icicles hanging from there face was chosen no one would ever drink it in case they caught something.

Comment

Low Fat Milk Can – 250 ml UHT Semi-Skimmed Milk in a plastic ‘can’ with metal ring-pull lid, Cool Country, Western Road, Bracknell, Berks, 1986.
                Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  In the early 90s (i think) I remember being able to get UHT milk in a can in the newsagents. It was kept in the fridge with all the cans of soft drink and was about the same size, perhaps a little bigger. The 'can' was blue and white with a bumpy bottom. It might have actually been plastic but it had a metal top and ring pull. Can anybody remember if it had a brand name? Or was it just called milk?
                  I remember some drinks that came in a plastic container with a ring pull, like the one Trickyvee described. Some were standard fizzy drinks & others flavoured milkshakes.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post

Low Fat Milk Can – 250 ml UHT Semi-Skimmed Milk in a plastic ‘can’ with metal ring-pull lid, Cool Country, Western Road, Bracknell, Berks, 1986.
                    This is very similar to what I remember, but it was certainly later than 1986 that I came across them. I suspect it was the same company using slightly updated packaging. Must have taken them ages to come up with that snappy name musn't it!
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                        Now you're talking! Heather you're a star!
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by lk_ie View Post
                          Anyone remember pyramid shaped milk cartons???

Believe it or not, the pyramid shaped milk cartons are still available in individual sized cartons; usually in those baskets next to the coffee machines

Way back in the seventies the larger ones were in vending machines
                          sigpic
                          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
                          X