Shampoo and soaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shampoo and soaps

We sometimes got that lemon soap, zest I think it was called and I'm pretty sure there was a similar sort of fresh-type soap out then too, but not lemony. Was it called Shield? My memory thinks it was light blue and a bit streaky. Nanna had a block of carbolic at the kitchen sink. I still love that smell.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
      We sometimes got that lemon soap, zest I think it was called and I'm pretty sure there was a similar sort of fresh-type soap out then too, but not lemony. Was it called Shield? My memory thinks it was light blue and a bit streaky. Nanna had a block of carbolic at the kitchen sink. I still love that smell.
      I had totally forgotten about Shield! It was blue and white in a streaky effect! Smelled very strong too. If I remember rightly Shield and Zest were marketed as 'deodorant' soaps. (whatever that means! lol)
      Pears and Palmolive soap were always popular in our house in the 70's. Sometimes we had Imperial Leather soap with the paper sicker on the bar!
      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Does anyone have any memories of the shampoo sprays used for washing your hair in the sink or in a basin?
        "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

Re: shampoo and soaps

camay, dove, palmolive. shield where the ones i most remember our lot using.

i can also remember us using that lemon zest one i tend to like the stronger soaps.

head and shoulders shampoo would have been by far the one we most used.
          there where others just cant think of them.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

lol i got a story about vim...........i was about 3ish and was in the bathroom of my mum's best friend while they sat downstairs having a coffee .............while i was tipping her vim all over the bath, sink, loo, shelves and floor

now back to the soap and shampoo........we used imperial leather, lux and sometimes pears ...............as for shampoo i can only remember vosene, i still love the smell today
            Last edited by shilton dipper; 15-01-2013, 22:58.

Comment

thanks mate for mentioning vosene that was the other shampoo we used.
              very strong and a nice smell.

and yes imperial leather we used as well.

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
              lol i got a story about vim...........i was about 3ish and was in the bathroom of my mum's best friend while they sat downstairs having a coffee .............while i was tipping her vim all over the bath, sink, loo, shelves and floor

now back to the soap and shampoo........we used imperial leather, lux and sometimes pears ...............as for shampoo i can only remember vosene, i still love the smell today

Comment

Just bought some Palmolive shaving gel and it smells and feels really soothing when you lather it up!

Comment

Imperial Leather soap (still use it to this day).
                  Don't recall any specific shampoos although I do remember using washing up liquid when we'd run out of shampoo.

Comment

Originally posted by zip55 View Post
                    Don't recall any specific shampoos although I do remember using washing up liquid when we'd run out of shampoo.
                    i still do that if push comes to shove! I always thought they were more or less the same thing but from experience the washing up liquid is a bit harsher on the hair. It still does the job in an emergency though.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

on the odd occasion if we ran out of shampoo id use soap to wash my hair.
                      and to be fair it does a good job.
                      only thing is its hard to get a comb or brush through it.

Originally posted by zip55 View Post

Comment

What I'd like to know is, what date was Amami shampoo still available up to?
                        'Friday night is Amami night'.
                        "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

Re: shampoo and soaps

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                          Blimey, shampoo in sachets. No seen that in years
                          Vosene had a vile smell, we used Three Wishes,Shield and Camay
                          I loved the smell of Vosene, I was stunned when i was shopping a few months back and found out that they changed the bottle

Comment

Re: what happened to ?

Who remembers body shop novelty soaps? For a time no Christmas went by without me getting a selection from an aunt. Shaped like fruit and very scented but a bit small to be practical. I used to keep them for ages just to smell them.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

Re: what happened to ?

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                              Who remembers body shop novelty soaps? For a time no Christmas went by without me getting a selection from an aunt. Shaped like fruit and very scented but a bit small to be practical. I used to keep them for ages just to smell them.
                              Yeah I remember it, you could buy it like pick n mix, I use to keep it in my clothes drawers, smelt wonderful.
                              Heather

Comment

My sister once had a job lot of soaps of The Body Shop, they seemed to be adding fragrance to her room for a good few years.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X