Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crown Court

Default Re: Crown Court

The Americans had a long running show called People's Court, with former judge Joseph Wapner presiding.

It's mentioned in Rainman, especially when Raymond keeps saying x minutes to Wapner.

For a time it wasn't on air, but was revived when Judge Judy started to become popular, I'm not sure if it's ever been shown in the UK.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    I hadn't realised the jury foreman was an actor. I don't think I have seen the series since its original run. Perhaps it will turn up again on a digital channel.
    The Jury Foreman was credited at the end of the episodes because he or she was an actor or actress - even at the end of the week's first and second episodes, even though they didn't get to speak until the end of the third one. No doubt that some famous names, quite often in their "before they were famous" setting were chosen to do the part.

It's a bit amusing when the Judge says to the jury to go to the room and deliberate, and then says "nominate a member as your foreman" or something like that. As if they had any choice as to who would be Foreman, unless there was more than one actor on the jury...

Peter Wheeler often said in his "court reporting" that the jury were ordinary members of the public who lived in the Granada TV region and were on the electoral register, and so would be allowed to do jury service if happened to be a real life court case.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

I used to think of it as ironic when soaps and drama series would do court scenes as of course, TV cameras cannot film in courtrooms.

Now, of course, there will be changes in the law which will allow TV cameras film inside crown courts for the first time for the Judge's verdict - nearly 50 years after Granada did it fictitiously in the afternoons.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

I did see an opening clip of an episode on you Tube recently, which started with a shot of Stockport Town Hall, I'm not sure if it was supposed to be standing in for the court building though.
    The Trickster On The Roof