X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open All Hours

what can i say about this show.
    well it starred 2 of the very best comedians ronnie barker and david jason

its a show i remember so well when growing up.
    sadly comedies of today are no mach this one and others of its time.

it was a show i never missed and i was so sad when it finished.
    here is a clip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoP8hc8lZ5s
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: Open All Hours

I use to love watching this series! Nurse Gladys use to make me laugh when she almost use to smother poor GrrrGranville in her ample bosoms
    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
      I use to love watching this series! Nurse Gladys use to make me laugh when she almost use to smother poor GrrrGranville in her ample bosoms

the reason i started this thread was because there was a ronnie barker tribute on bbc 2 earlier.

granville was no complaining i bet.
      all the actors where really good.
      is it really that long ago.
      from now on ill go to the bbc website for info.
      then ill post the link.

Comment

I've got all of these on DVD.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I find it a bit depressing. It reminds me of dark, winter Sunday nights thinking about having to go back to school, trying to do my homework. Bergerac has the same effect.

The subject matter is a bit depressing also. The little corner shop with the grumpy shopkeeper and the repressed employee stuck in the going nowhere job. Not my cup of tea at all, I'm afraid!

Comment

Originally posted by Techno View Post
            I find it a bit depressing. It reminds me of dark, winter Sunday nights thinking about having to go back to school, trying to do my homework. Bergerac has the same effect.

The subject matter is a bit depressing also. The little corner shop with the grumpy shopkeeper and the repressed employee stuck in the going nowhere job. Not my cup of tea at all, I'm afraid!
            Most modern soaps are far worse yet women thrive on them.I suppose seeing people suffer makes them feel better?Open all hours is a classic don't knock it.....
            sigpic

Comment

Open all hours is a classic. I always remember the one where Granville got his fake medallion stuck in the lethal till . I used to like the end as well when Arkwright would be shutting up shop and musing the events of the day to himself.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

G-g-g-g-great comedy!!
                sigpic
                'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  I've got all of these on DVD.
                  Me too. It's my absolute favouritist sitcom. I visited the little corner shop (actually a hairdressers) in Balby, Doncaster where 'Open All Hours' was filmed back in 2002, and it was one of the best days of the year, as it was something I'd wanted to do for years before I got the opportunity.
                  "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I got this on DVD recently and I have to say it's brilliant. I used to live in a similar area to the one OAH is set and I remember corner shops being like that, they sold everything and always used to have people in them sharing gossip. Mine didn't have the finger killer till though, all the money and receipts were written down on paper and kept in a small wooden box.

Comment

My late Dads favourite comedy....I love it too. It really did show off Ronnie Barkers great and varied talent for characters and accents....I also felt sorry for 'Our 'G-G-G-Granville'....There was a rumour that Granville wasn't Arkrights Sisters son but his OWN illegitimate Son....I miss corner shops like that.

The till gag was never ever tiresome - I wonder how they did it....

Comment

I remember on Britain's Best Sitcom it mentioned that the till was closed by on of the special effects team holding a piece of string, at least once Ronnie Barker got his hand caught by it.

I guess the springs for opening the cash drawer & the note clips were tightened up as well.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                          My late Dads favourite comedy....I love it too. It really did show off Ronnie Barkers great and varied talent for characters and accents....I also felt sorry for 'Our 'G-G-G-Granville'....There was a rumour that Granville wasn't Arkrights Sisters son but his OWN illegitimate Son....I miss corner shops like that.

The till gag was never ever tiresome - I wonder how they did it....

it had a fantastic cast all very talented actors and actresses.

it was so sad the day it ended.
                          i remember watching it from start to finish.

that till gag was class never tired of it.

Comment

My Dad used to find the fact Arkright was such a miser so funny....remember the 'Mobile Shop'?, The 'new till'? His 'new suit'?....God it was funny. R.I.P. Ronnie Barker. Lovely man.

Comment

As far as comedies go it's pretty much perfect. The timing is impeccable.

And yeah, the till never joke never tires. It's probably down to the fact that neither Ronnie or David knew if it was going to get them because it was controlled by a 3rd party. I'd probably be scared of using it too if I knew it was possible it could mangle my hands at any second.

Comment

Working...
                              X