Toshiba msx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toshiba msx

The Toshiba msx 64k, for all computer geeks out there. Produced by Microsoft Japan, it played both tapes and cartridges and the graphics were quite good. It was the precursor to home entertainment systems by Nintendo and Spectrum

More...

Re: Toshiba msx

Originally posted by www.doyouremember.co.uk View Post
    The Toshiba msx 64k, for all computer geeks out there. Produced by Microsoft Japan, it played both tapes and cartridges and the graphics were quite good. It was the precursor to home entertainment systems by Nintendo and Spectrum
    Well, the MSX had a stripped down version of MS Basic and Microsoft were involved in the whole MSX plan but the machines weren't produced by MS Japan. They came from a variety of familiar Japanese companies - Sony, Toshiba, Yamaha, Panasonic etc. but the MSX system meant they could all run the same software even though there were some specialities in the actual machines (the Yamaha had some extra music stuff built in). A neat idea and the machines were a decent spec for the day but they came too late to make an impact. I'm not sure what 'precursor to home entertainment systems by Nintendo and Spectrum' means. If you mean the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, then that computer (and definetly not a home entertainment system) was already well intrenched and successful by the time the MSXs arrived. As for the NES/Famicom from Nintendo, it's a whole different type of machine.

I've still got a Sony Hit-Bit MSX 1 (there were more revisions - MSX 2 - 2+ and TurboR - before it died) at home. A cool, well made, little machine. It's even got a built in SCART socket!

Comment

Re: Toshiba msx

I never remember anyone having one in the 1980s, but some computer games mentioned them in the instructions.

Many years ago I spotted a Panasonic one in a electronic components shop that sold 2nd hand equipment (mostly old DJ stuff), they also had an Acorn Atom at one time.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
      X