Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Oh no, not there again!"...places you hated that you always got dragged to.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Oh no, not there again!"...places you hated that you always got dragged to.

Lucky for me my local garden centre was OK to look round as most of it was under cover & there were some interesting things on display.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Re: "Oh no, not there again!"...places you hated that you always got dragged to.

Oh no, not...C&A!!! I absolutely despised that shop, my mum and grandma would spend literally hours sifting through their crummy "clock-house" range, and the store itself was always about 100 degrees, in winter even hotter. Horrible horrible place.

I had a little chuckle to myself when it shut down.

Comment

I didn't have a problem with C&A but Debenhams used to be very boring when I was young, but it's OK these days.

Comment

Can I include the dentist in this one? My childhood dentist was called Dr Ackers...which I immediately equated with "knackers" ( as in hurt ) and he certainly did !!
          Last edited by Cooldeepblue; 23-09-2014, 20:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooldeepblue View Post
            Can I include the dentist in this one? My childhood dentist was called Dr Ackers...which I immediately equated with "knackers" ( as in hurt ) and he certainly did !!
            When I was a child any teeth removed would be by gas it was horrible

Comment

C&A, Debenhams, or any clothes shop for that matter. Normally new clothes where half a size too big (YES!!!! YOU WILL GROW INTO THEM!!!), and generally they were uncomfortable. Pontypridd market on a Saturday. You had to battle your way through. The market is still there, but a pale shadow of its former self. There was another shop in Pontypridd called Thom's, not too bad throughout the year, but the run up to Christmas was murder. Stand in the queue for two eternities before you got to the till. Another eternity at the till!!!! I do remember one year this led to a very nasty argument between two women. It started in the shop then continued out in the street. It went on for quite a while, or so it seemed then, with a large crowd watching.
              Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

A lot of new clothes (especially school uniforms) always seemed to be really itchy, normally when you went back to school in September it was still hot, just to make things worse.

Once my Mum had to wash some trousers a couple of times before I wore them again to try & make things easier for me.

Comment

I can sure agree with you on the itchy school uniforms was it the material or the fact they where new.

Didnt like going with my mom to get new school shoes they where really painful to wear but was told after a while they will stretch which they did and with wearing thin grey/black socks the back of my feet hurt so much.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
                  a lot of new clothes (especially school uniforms) always seemed to be really itchy, normally when you went back to school in september it was still hot, just to make things worse.

Once my mum had to wash some trousers a couple of times before i wore them again to try & make things easier for me.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                    A lot of new clothes (especially school uniforms) always seemed to be really itchy, normally when you went back to school in September it was still hot, just to make things worse.

Once my Mum had to wash some trousers a couple of times before I wore them again to try & make things easier for me.
                    True Richard - this was sure an expedition in August Lol I think the itchy Shirt allways had something to do with certain washing powders too though (hence why I never like Aierial). though for me it was how cold these Shirts where - regadless if you worea T-Shirt etc underneath them - they never got warm somehow (even if you put them on the Radiatar etc at full heat etc too or on a Clothes-Horse too)

Another place, I often got dragged to was cheap shops like Poundland (before Poundland arrived on the scene), we had some awesome cheap shops in my home Town then - may-be not Pound ones but still cheap with a great array of goods on sale I recall. Another too was the trusted old-fashioned Menswear Shops like Greenwoods, that are sadly fading away now at a "rate of knots". Even in my home-Town until recently we had 2 ... but sadly no-more (even if one was an outlet place) it was still great to visit!

80sChav

Comment

I think I had some school shirts that seemed very cold in winter.

My local Greenwoods closed, I never remember shopping there, though I think my Dad did at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        I think I had some school shirts that seemed very cold in winter.

My local Greenwoods closed, I never remember shopping there, though I think my Dad did at times.
                        I totally agree here with you Richard - they where cerazy in a ay ... when I think iof Winter mornings (it feels like yesterday thinking about them as so)

No wonder people wore thins like T-Shirts/Footy Shirts under their Shirts - though I have always been more of afan of those "Crispy Type Shirts" for warmth far far more!

80sChav

Comment

Flower nurseries (shudder)
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Your parents liked those places eh.

Sunday school was another i didnt like between 3 and 4 it was.
                            Went until i was 16 i think.
                            U had to be smartly dressed too.

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                            flower nurseries (shudder)
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post

No me hated sunday school was glad when I didnt have to go again at 13years

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post

I went there once or twice but they didn't have many Schools in Church's which made Children go though Darren.

I recall one of my earliest memories seeing an Auntie's friend in the Midlands - she was like very rich but that was one the first times I was "ordered" to dress smart to make an impression (which is a sort of irony about the thread I had not thought of eg visiting friends - which I guess I would not have done had you not mentioned Sunday School)

It is ironic though that even at nearly 40 I find myself enticed to look at smart Menswear Shops - that my Grandad and Dad had an obsession with at say just 5 years older than I am now - it really is strange indeed looking back and even 5 years since I'd of not wanted to be seen in them let alone semi-casual Market Stalls at like Blackpool and Fleetwood which was another place I was "dragged to" when on holiday (being both menswear and womenswear)

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                                X