Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Oh no, not there again!"...places you hated that you always got dragged to.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Oh no, not there again!"...places you hated that you always got dragged to.

Two top my list.

"Oh no, not the airport!"
    It would have been very different if we were jetting off on holiday. It might even have been different if we were going into the airport for a bit and there was an outside chance of feasting on a Wimpy, but no. The only reason we ever went to the airport was to park up on the road near the end of the runway so we could watch planes going in and out. For hours.

"Oh no, not Dickens!"
    Dickens was the B&Q of its day where I lived. SO BORING. Nothing to do except press all the door bells, walk through all the display doors that were set up as cubes of four so you could walk through them and hide inside, and steal the yellow and red glass blocks off the front of those early 80's fires
    1976 Vintage

Re: "Oh no, not there again!"...places you hated that you always got dragged to.

I will probably go to hell for saying this, but we never much enjoyed going to our Nana's much. She was quite strict and stern, Victorian-like, children should be seen and not heard and all that. We had to be on our best behaviour all the time and we weren't allowed to watch much TV. All the toys she had were really old, probably pre-WW2. We were not allowed to touch many of them because they were made of lead, which people finally decided was actually bad for you.

Comment

Re: "Oh no, not there again!"...places you hated that you always got dragged to.

When on School holidays I often got taken shopping with my Mum, the low point was being taken into Marks & Spencers as my Mum would normally take ages & there wasn't any other section of interest. At least at our local BHS there was a small toy section to browse at.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

One place I hated being dragged to was the Cemetery, yep we'd have to go and visit my Gran's grave every weekend. I'm sure it was when we were quite young and on a Saturday afternoon, as we'd go to Grandad's house on a Sunday afternoon. I hated the 3 miles walk there and same back home - it was torture. I think the reason I hated it so much was because I had such a fear of anything to do with death as a child.

I also hated going out with my Mum while she worked. She was a Home Help and as there was no one to look after us during the summer holidays, she'd take us with us. Some of the old ladies were nice,, but some not. One old lady I remember, my Mum told us she hated kids so much she'd probably eat us, so we got made to wait outside. We believed her too!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          When on School holidays I often got taken shopping with my Mum, the low point was being taken into Marks & Spencers
          Oh yeah, shopping for school uniforms, excruciating. And yer Mum holds up the clothes against you to see if they fit and says "What do you think? Do you like it?" It's a bleedin' school uniform. Of course I don't like it. But you had to pretend that you did.

Comment

The trousers for school unforms always seemed to be really itchy for some reason, my Mum had to wash any new ones before I could wear them as they made me feel like I had ants in my pants.

Comment

My Grans house not to be mixed up with my Nan's flat.

We'd visit Gran, but children were not allowed in the front sitting room, we were confined to the kitchen,with the adults sat in the sitting room with the door shut.
              There were no toys,no books,in fact there was nothing to entertain us and the hours dragged
              Heather

Comment

never liked sunday school.
                was always made to go by the parents sometimes near dragged along to it.
                only was an hours but it felt like half a day.

also an aunts house who was very strict.
                no running,take your shoes off at the door.
                no playing outside in the muck.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  Two top my list.

"Oh no, not the airport!"
                  It would have been very different if we were jetting off on holiday. It might even have been different if we were going into the airport for a bit and there was an outside chance of feasting on a Wimpy, but no. The only reason we ever went to the airport was to park up on the road near the end of the runway so we could watch planes going in and out. For hours.

"Oh no, not Dickens!"
                  Dickens was the B&Q of its day where I lived. SO BORING. Nothing to do except press all the door bells, walk through all the display doors that were set up as cubes of four so you could walk through them and hide inside, and steal the yellow and red glass blocks off the front of those early 80's fires
                  'Dickens Home Improvement Hypermarket!' as the jingle on the advert sang! I hated Dickens too. Not a very child friendly place to go.
                  Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

The cemetery for me too. Every Sunday afternoon. It seemed a very long walk and was always followed by a visit to Nanny's where we always had salmon sandwiches and tinned fruit cocktail which you always had to have a slice of bread and butter with. That was ok-ish but there were no toys to speak off and it was always very crowded as everything happened in the kitchen/sitting room even though there was a vast front room which was "for best". I never did find out when "best" happened.
                    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

About the only people I know who keep their front rooms for best are a great aunt & my girlfriend's Mum.

Comment

For as far back as one can remember,I always seemed to be doing just what I chose to do. When my mum started work I had to go with my dad to work,this meant I was off for weeks at a time in a Daf 2800 up and down the UK and occasionally Europe for most of the school holidays...real shame that.

Frame.
                        "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
                          'Dickens Home Improvement Hypermarket!' as the jingle on the advert sang! I hated Dickens too. Not a very child friendly place to go.
                          I was in Ikea the other day and noticed they have play stations set up around the store to save children's sanity in the boring sections. Great idea!
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

The dentist was where I hated going to most. The dentist himself was very good, but I remember the austere, very 1950s-looking waiting room (tho' this was the early '70s), and the frightening-looking equipment once you were in the dentist's chair, including the drill with all its mechanical pulleys showing.
                            The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

I didn't hate the dentist, but wasn't keen on going. Who is?

Ours was in a big old converted house. I think the waiting room must have been the living room. It was huge and gloomy with a big fire place and the obligatory fish tank. You went up a creaky old staircase to get to the dentist's room. It was like something out of a horror film.

What I remember most is having fillings without being put to sleep or having a gum injection. He just sprayed this stuff on which tasted horrible and did nothing and the pain was terrible! I also had to have a lot of teeth out and I did get put to sleep for that. I remember coming around in a room full of big filing cabinets with everything swirling aroiund and feeling very sick, then wobbling home all off balance. Not nice.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X