Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennis Anyone...?

Maria Sharapova. Nuff said

Not really my cup of Tea, usually just watch the finals, Tiger Tim, more of a ***** cat, or even a kitten........lol

Comment

Re: Tennis Anyone...?

love tennis.

first wimbledon final i saw was when becker aged 17 beat kevin curren in the final.
      been watching it for just over twenty 26 yrs.

watch all the majors.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I can't get into watching the tennis any more. I used to love it back in the day where they were all individual characters and seemed to be a lot more popular...young Boris Becker, dishy Pat Cash, cheeky Henry Leconte, ice cool Stefan Edberg, Andre Agassi with this baggy shorts and flailing hair etc. Nowadays they have no charisma. Last one I liked was Goran Ivanisevic. Don't like Tim Henman or Andy Murray.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

I've been watching Wimbledon since I was about 10. Love it!

My fave players, like Trickyvee, were always the characters like Connors, Leconte, Cash, Nastase, Becker and Agassi.
          My very fave however was Borg (swoon!) and I got to stand behind him when I went to Wimbledon with the school in 1974! I picked one of his hairs from his shoulder very carefully, but later lost it :cry:
          I also met Nastase and got his autograph
          sigpic
          'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I totally agree with the last few comments. All the characters have gone. There's no joy in tennis any more and as for all the grunts and groans, they really get on my nerves! I would never go and watch 'cos you can't turn the sound down if you're actually there. Can't stand Andy Murray and as for the other chappy, he spends all his time picking at his third eye (getting his knickers out his bum!)

Comment

The first Wimbledon final i saw was Borgs first win in 1976. Loved the rivalry between Borg, McEnroe and Connors. Those 3 had some great matches. Lost interest when the robotic Sampras was winning everything. I fear Murray will go the same way as Henman ie nearly man. Can't stand Federer. The man is too arrogant. When he won Wimbledon last year he immediately put on a specially made track suit top to commemerate his 15th grand slam title that had 15 emblazoned all over it in big gold numbers. Talk about rubbing you opponents nose in it.
              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Totally Agree Branny

Comment

i must say i do feel murray will win slams.

never thought henman would win majors but he got the most out of his ability
                  you can't do more that fulfill your potential.

one thing i do miss is serve and volley.

remember the days of evert,navratilova,becker,edberg,wilander etc..
                  to many baseliners for my liking.

don't really feel federer is arrogant myself.

the womens game needs more players like henin,she has such a array of shots,more than any other female player currently playing.players like the williams sisters,wozniacki,sharapova,are baseliners,it ruins the game a bit.
                  to many power players and not enough finesse.

Comment

what do you think of agassi after his revelations in his book that he took crystal meths while playing.

should he be stripped of the majors he won while he was taking it.
                    some people praised him for his honesty some slated him.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      i must say i do feel murray will win slams.

don't really feel federer is arrogant myself.
                      Re Murray. Not if he keeps meeting Nadal or Federer along the way.

Federer seems to have gone off the boil since becoming a father so hasn't got as much to be arrogant about.
                      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
                        Re Murray. Not if he keeps meeting Nadal or Federer along the way.

Federer seems to have gone off the boil since becoming a father so hasn't got as much to be arrogant about.
                        don't forget murray has beat nadal twice in slams in the us open in 08 and at this yrs aussie open.

so that proves he can beat him in majors.

yes he lost to nadal in this yrs wimbledon semi in straight sets but it was so very close only a few points decided it.

i do feel murray is better on the hardcouts at the us open and the plexicushion of the aussie open.

do remember that the grass wimbledon is played on is different to what it was in the becker era.
                        the ball bounced much lower than it does now.

if it was like it was back then nadal and federer would have won many less wimbledon titles.

Comment

Women's tennis was more exciting as well. Or was it just that the players were prettier. 1970s Chris Evert (pre-perm) and in the 80s, Carling Bassett.

Becker's matches were immense. He was usually taken to five sets in the early rounds by some middle ranked player like Wayne Ferreira, often having to come back the following morning after a rain break, but always seemed to find a way through. Having said that, it was his massive serve that paved the way for a serving machine like Sampras to take over. Ivanisevic also played this way, but at least his was a very human story, and you'd have to be a bit churlish, or a Serb, to have begrudged him his eventual title. Sampras just had no charisma, it was impossible to get truly involved in his matches.

Comment

was always a huge becker fan.
                            remember him winning wimbledon when he beat kevin curren aged 17.

been watching wimbledon for 25 yrs and all the other grandslams as well.

fave player nowadays is justine henin,what a player for all the size of her.

i consider her the female fderer because she can play so many differebt shots.

tennis now is all baseline serve and volley has sadly diappeared,look back to the edberg,wilander,navratilovachris evert era.

Comment

I first got interested in tennis around the time of John McEnroe's "You cannot be serious!" outburst.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X