Clinging onto your childhood toys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clinging onto your childhood toys

I've got a lot of books and annuals from my childhood. Apart from that, it's just Action Girl, Sindy & Paul, one baby doll and my teddy bear. Oh and a few board games including my favourite ever - "Moviemaker."
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
      The only things I still have from my childhood are my lego and a couple of cuddly toys. Everything else got sold in one of my front gate jumble sales.
      do you regret selling these old things you had tricky.
      maybe you where not so attached to things like me and others here are mate.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

There are a few old toys and games I had as a kid still knocking about, although several have gone via boot fairs or skips when moving house. I still have all of my old toy cars and still occasionally collect new models of old cars I would like to have had toys of when I was younger (although there weren't toys of them when I was young), such as the Corgi Vanguards Hillman Avenger and Ford Cortina Mk3, or the Oxford Diecast Reliant Scimitar.

I have recently powered up my old Tomytronic 3D 'Thundering Turbo' game from the '80s, to find it still works perfectly.
        "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          do you regret selling these old things you had tricky.
          maybe you where not so attached to things like me and others here are mate.
          I've never regretted selling them and I've never bought back anything that I had. I guess I wasn't so attached. I loved my stuff but I feel like it belonged to then and that's enough for me.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Ive bought stuff from the 'bay that I had as a child. Mostly action figure stype stuff like Micronauts which I was hugely into and Mego Planet of the Apes and Star trek figures as well as the Denys Fishers Cybord/Muton toys. I've also bought toys that I wanted as a child but never got.

What's tended to happen with those is that I've enjoyed them and after a good few years I've realized that theyre just gathering dust on shelves, or - worse still, just sitting in a cupboard doing nothing. As I've tended to buy those 70's toys as close to mint condition as I could afford at the time, I've had no trouble selling them on when the time feels right and have usually made a decent amount of money on them so I've had the enjoyment and that nostalgia value and they've also turned out to be a bit of an investment too.

This might seem a little harsh to some but for me it makes sense as at one time I looked at the amount of stuff I'd bought over say, a five year period, and how much it had cost me and how much space it was taking up and realized I was just buying it because I could because I had no other commitments at the time, but was really just hoarding and not getting the enjoyment of of them after a while that someone else might, So selling them on after a few years became a sensible way for me to manage my compulsion to buy this stuff and make some money out of it too.

Comment

if your not getting enjoyment out of the stuff then its understandable that you will sell it.
              thing is though i do still get huge enjoyment out of my old toys games consoles etc.
              in fact i think i get more enjoyment out of them now than i did back then.

thing is i got huge enjoyment out of these toys etc back then.

Comment

Originally posted by sandie76 View Post
                I could never give up some of my childhood toys, they all hold a special memory to me. Kept lots of my cuddly toys which are kept in an old suitcase in the attic, although my daughter has a couple in her room. My husband is always on at me to get rid of them, said it just yesterday when we were putting the xmas decs back up. When I was pregnant, I got rid of a few things I wish I hadn't, like my Cabbage Patch doll, a Sindy doll. I've even put alot of my daughter's toys up the attic, kept the boxes for things she plays with now, along with some Argos catalogues for her to look at when she's older. My OH thinks I'm nuts and just complains how full the attic is lol.

Like you Darren, I've bought a few replacements of toys I used to have - My Little Ponies, Care Bears. Think my Mum would have a clear out, while I was at school, of the toys she thought I was done with. I remember her giving away my Sindy house and all the dolls, I was gutted, even though I had grown out of them.
                I've just re-found my old toys whilst clearing dad's house (the family home where I grew up), and there's no way I would part with them. I was feeling very, very low after losing dad, and I can honestly say, finding my old friends has given me strength to cope and carry on.
                I particularly loved finding Bendy Giraffe (to whom I owe a lot of love and cuddles for making it my mission to tie his legs and neck in knots when I was too young to know any better).

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
                I say good for you mate, I think people are far too quick to grow up these days I really do. I have managed to keep hold of a few bits and bobs, the stuff that really meant something to me. whether it be old figures, games or magazines or even playground fad items like Pogs or sticker albums. Keeping hold of stuff for nostalgic value is all good in my book and I think it's great that there are so many people who do just that.
                Here here!

Comment

i quite often get criticised for keeping toys etc from my youth.
                  im told oh you should grow up and get shot of those toys and other things from your youth.

but these toys are doing no harm and they bring back memories special memories of when you where a kid.

these things are just priceless.

a lot of those old things ive bought again than i got rid off when i was a kid.

i would be really hurt if i lost them or they got stole.

Comment

I had quite a collection of Hot Wheels and Matchbox (Lesney Regular Wheels!) when I was a kid. I don't know what happened to my Matchbox cars but most of my Hot Wheels were such beaters that I sold them to a friend some ten years ago. Here's the only one of my original childhood Hot Wheels I have left.

Meanwhile I've decided to start all over and reacquire the Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars I had as a kid (as well as many I never had!). I recently acquired this one at a diecast model show for £80 -- It's a 1971-72 Hot Wheels Classic Cord which is much sought-after by collectors.

Comment

The paintwork on that green car is lovely.

Also, shotgun shell in the background.

Comment

Aw bless you Tortie. A sad but lovely story.

I'm getting bad for hoarding my kid's stuff. Where possible the boxes for toys go up in the attic wrapped in plastic waiting for the day the kids grow out of them when i'll put it all back together. I do this for their future nostalgia and the fact that the toys hopefully will be worth something when they are grown up.

I am also keeping their old shoes as they grow out of them, the wife thinks im mad but i'll knock up a great 'wall of memories' display one day
                        I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

I'm glad it's not just a "female thing," although from the state of dad's house, I should've known that already

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                            The paintwork on that green car is lovely.

Also, shotgun shell in the background.
                            Strangely enough, I found that old box of shotgun shells among a boxful of other stuff I picked up at a yard sale.

Comment

hi victor im sure you regreat selling all but most of your hot wheels cars.

what made keep the blue one.

i think as we get older a lot of us collect toys we once had and the ones wehave become more special.

a lot of what i have now is stuff i bought again and it means more now than it ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                                hi victor im sure you regreat selling all but most of your hot wheels cars.

what made keep the blue one.

i think as we get older a lot of us collect toys we once had and the ones wehave become more special.

a lot of what i have now is stuff i bought again and it means more now than it ever did.
                                It was my favorite!
                                I was at a diecast model collector's show today and picked up this one:

Keeping company with the Classic Cord

Another one on my want list is a Corgi 1143 (American-LaFrance ladder truck)
                                Last edited by victorbrunswick; 05-03-2012, 04:59.

Comment

Working...
                                X