Clinging onto your childhood toys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clinging onto your childhood toys

I have about 6/7 large boxes of toys/books from my childhood in the attic...and another 2 boxes of my cuddly toys (I couldn't imagine EVER losing these) also in the attic.
    I rarely look at them - but it's nice to know they're there

Re: Clinging onto your childhood toys

there is no harm in keeping these toys etc.
    u actually think its a very good idea.
    after all they are a big part of your younger days.
    they hold special memories.
    i have bought old toys i used to have when i was younger.
    and ill never part with them.
    they are more than just toys.

people tell me grow up and your to old t o have them etc.
    but why should we grow up i never will.
    im a kid at heart and always will be.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I could never give up some of my childhood toys, they all hold a special memory to me. Kept lots of my cuddly toys which are kept in an old suitcase in the attic, although my daughter has a couple in her room. My husband is always on at me to get rid of them, said it just yesterday when we were putting the xmas decs back up. When I was pregnant, I got rid of a few things I wish I hadn't, like my Cabbage Patch doll, a Sindy doll. I've even put alot of my daughter's toys up the attic, kept the boxes for things she plays with now, along with some Argos catalogues for her to look at when she's older. My OH thinks I'm nuts and just complains how full the attic is lol.

Like you Darren, I've bought a few replacements of toys I used to have - My Little Ponies, Care Bears. Think my Mum would have a clear out, while I was at school, of the toys she thought I was done with. I remember her giving away my Sindy house and all the dolls, I was gutted, even though I had grown out of them.

Comment

its true a lot of adults think its real silly keping childhood toys.
        they just do not understand it.

but for me and you they are more than toys they are a link to our youth when we where kids.
        thing is memories fade eventually but having these toys keeps those memories alive for me and you.

i even buy things from the time of my childhood that i never had and wanted.
        for example i bought the original masters of the universe cards by mattel a few months back.
        if anyone threw them out.

Comment

Originally posted by sandie76 View Post
          I could never give up some of my childhood toys, they all hold a special memory to me. Kept lots of my cuddly toys which are kept in an old suitcase in the attic, although my daughter has a couple in her room. My husband is always on at me to get rid of them, said it just yesterday when we were putting the xmas decs back up. When I was pregnant, I got rid of a few things I wish I hadn't, like my Cabbage Patch doll, a Sindy doll. I've even put alot of my daughter's toys up the attic, kept the boxes for things she plays with now, along with some Argos catalogues for her to look at when she's older. My OH thinks I'm nuts and just complains how full the attic is lol.

Like you Darren, I've bought a few replacements of toys I used to have - My Little Ponies, Care Bears. Think my Mum would have a clear out, while I was at school, of the toys she thought I was done with. I remember her giving away my Sindy house and all the dolls, I was gutted, even though I had grown out of them.
          this is for sandie.
          http://www.cabbagepatchkids.com/shop/ -

and this also for you sandie.

i even liked it myself.
          and im not ashamed to say so.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP_rIAkb_v8

Comment

I wasn't allowed to keep any toys when I grew out of them down to lack of space. The majority went to our next door neighbours kids. I toyed with the idea of collecting Dinky and Corgi again but the prices are just ridiculous. I did buy a load of 40th anniversary Action Man stuff a couple of years back but most of it is just stuck on top of a cupboard unopened.
            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

My parents sold ALL my toys as soon as i reached 11 years old.Plus i used to collect old comics they all got burned on the fire.I Had the lovely job of doing my own laundry and stuff like that instead.
              sigpic

Comment

I too have very little toys from my childhood, a lot of them I actually sold myself when I was a kid by putting them in my parents shop window!
                The one thing I still have is my big metal tonka tractor that my 3 yr old son now has in his toy chest, it's lovely to see it being used like that again!

I've bought a couple of items on ebay, but this website has un-earted loads of stuff I had that I'd completely forgotten about and so now I haven't got the real things (or the space for them with all my kids toys in the house) but do have a nice collection of pictures of some of the things I had as a memory.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
                  I too have very little toys from my childhood, a lot of them I actually sold myself when I was a kid by putting them in my parents shop window!
                  The one thing I still have is my big metal tonka tractor that my 3 yr old son now has in his toy chest, it's lovely to see it being used like that again!

I've bought a couple of items on ebay, but this website has un-earted loads of stuff I had that I'd completely forgotten about and so now I haven't got the real things (or the space for them with all my kids toys in the house) but do have a nice collection of pictures of some of the things I had as a memory.
                  hi mate.
                  hawkins bazarr that is advertsed here would have some of toys you had.
                  if you really want to buy them go to hawkins bazarr.

Comment

Yes I still have my Barbies and accessories, Tiny Tears, Kiddle Kologne amongst a few other things, but a lot of things have sadly gone one way or another over the years.
                    sigpic
                    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      there is no harm in keeping these toys etc.
                      u actually think its a very good idea.
                      after all they are a big part of your younger days.
                      they hold special memories.
                      i have bought old toys i used to have when i was younger.
                      and ill never part with them.
                      they are more than just toys.

people tell me grow up and your to old t o have them etc.
                      but why should we grow up i never will.
                      im a kid at heart and always will be.
                      I say good for you mate, I think people are far too quick to grow up these days I really do. I have managed to keep hold of a few bits and bobs, the stuff that really meant something to me. whether it be old figures, games or magazines or even playground fad items like Pogs or sticker albums. Keeping hold of stuff for nostalgic value is all good in my book and I think it's great that there are so many people who do just that.

Comment

for example i know someine in there fifties and he still has every toy,book,comic,record he ever got for christmas and birthday.
                        and i know from seeing his stuff its far more that mere toys to him.
                        its something that has real meaning to him as mine do to for me.
                        these toys etc are a part of my childhood and id be so upset if i lost them or something happened to them.
                        some people are to quick to get rid of things from there childhood
                        --------------------------------------------------------------
                        for example i have a small table i made in school back in 1990 ad this one thing id never part withmas well as all the other stuff.
                        some people say get rid of it its time to grow up.
                        is there a law that says we must grow ip.

im 35 and im still a big kid i can be seen watching bananaman,superted etc in the morning and loving it.

Comment

Most of my childhood toys vanished due to being played to death, or several house moves, including abroad.

I have re-acquired a few of the most evocative. And a couple my cousin had that I was always jealous of.
                          Toy fairs and latterly eBay.
                          "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

The only things I still have from my childhood are my lego and a couple of cuddly toys. Everything else got sold in one of my front gate jumble sales.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

It's more books than toys I have kept from my childhood, all my toys got chucked away after I gave them to my nephew. I do look at things and think oooh I had that but havent bought any, I have bought books though.
                              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Working...
                              X