First Aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Aid

When I was at junior school, if we were injured, there really wasn't anyone to go to. It was a case of, 'tell your mum when you get home'.

Did you have a First Aid room at school? If you fell over in the playground, did you have to go inside to be attended to? Did you have a school nurse? How did your school deal with this kind of thing?

Re: First Aid

If something happened the teacher or dinner lady would take us inside to a little room that was used for all the medical type things like hearing tests, dentist, injections, nit nurse etc. In there there was a stash of bandages and plasters and magic cream (aka Savlon) to sort out busted knees and the like. I'm not sure what happened if it was something more serious.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Well,I don't really remember,I think there was a nurse when I started school,but we had a medical room which we were taken to if we fell.If you threw up,you got sent home,I remember being kept in when I banged my head,but dunno what happened if you really hurt yourself.

tulip

Comment

What I do remember is having yellow iodine put on your cuts, grazes or bruises in the medical room in the Juniors.
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
          What I do remember is having yellow iodine put on your cuts, grazes or bruises in the medical room in the Juniors.
          Oh the yellow stuff! I'd forgotten about that. You'd see children walking around the school with yellow knees and elbows.

Comment

We had a sick room where you got sent it you felt ill.
            It had a examining table/bed where you could have a lie down.
            It was also the room the school nurse used to weigh /measure you, give eye tests, hearing tests,injections and check for nits.
            There was also a small sink and first aid kit.
            Its where you'd wait for Mum or Dad to collect you from if you were Ill enough to go home.
            Heather

Comment

Lol, nit nurse! Do they still have nitty norah's at schools these days?

Comment

Nope poor old nitty nora the bug explorer is long gone
                Heather

Comment

Yes we had the same room in secondary school where wwe went for all manner of cuts and grazes
                  the room was not very big hasd all manner of bandages ointments etc had a bed.
                  and i do remember the yellow stuff.

I remember one time we all had to get boosters by the school nurse and this one girl hated needles and she just kept refusing to take it.
                  she was in tears as lots of peeps hate needles.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My secondary school had a full time nurse & a sick bay.

I only needed it twice, once when I accidently cut myself with a kitchen knife & when I had a dizzy spell.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      My secondary school had a full time nurse & a sick bay.

I only needed it twice, once when I accidently cut myself with a kitchen knife & when I had a dizzy spell.
                      you must have been in home economics when u cut yourself mate.

I as far as i remembeer only needed it fior injections which we all got.
                      it was a booster i still have the scar on the top of my arm.

Comment

I remember 2 accidents I had at school at around 12 years old.
                        One was whilst running I tripped over and hit my head into a concrete wall and the other I again fell over and took a chunk out my knee, both incidents were dealt with by looking at me up and down and saying "Well I think you'll be fine, stiff upper lip and all that".
                        I was then sent back to lessons!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
                          I remember 2 accidents I had at school at around 12 years old.
                          One was whilst running I tripped over and hit my head into a concrete wall and the other I again fell over and took a chunk out my knee, both incidents were dealt with by looking at me up and down and saying "Well I think you'll be fine, stiff upper lip and all that".
                          I was then sent back to lessons!!!

the first accident souinds pretty severe.
                          surprised you did not have concussion,
                          did they not make u lie down for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                            When I was at junior school, if we were injured, there really wasn't anyone to go to. It was a case of, 'tell your mum when you get home'.

Did you have a First Aid room at school? If you fell over in the playground, did you have to go inside to be attended to? Did you have a school nurse? How did your school deal with this kind of thing?
                            I recall this often Marine Boy yeah!

Though thankfully not too, too much in my case - but, yeah in mates' cases often .... indeed! What about the School Dentist too lol

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              you must have been in home economics when u cut yourself mate.

I as far as i remembeer only needed it fior injections which we all got.
                              it was a booster i still have the scar on the top of my arm.
                              The Home Economics lessons was popular for the Wannabees at my School, darren in they thought they knew about Hobs/Pans eg and ended up being burnt through not taking note of instructions and ending up in First Aid (I'm recalling now) without doubt/s here

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X