John Craven's Newsround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Craven's Newsround

The frenzied bongos were generally my signal to switch over, but catching an episode of JC's newsround was sometimes inevitable.

I like this clip. John Craven WITH BLACK HAIR and talking about the start of channel 4, musical 'pass the douchie' youth going back to school and a report by the long forgotten Paul McDowell, man of my dreams aged 6!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUEZv...eature=related
    1976 Vintage

Re: John Craven's Newsround

I used to watch it regularly, I had no choice as my dad used to watch it, guess he liked news broadcasts.

I always thought John Craven looked old but looking back now he didn't
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Lol our perception of "old" changes as we get older. I could never decide between John Craven and Michael Rodd as to who was most dishy as an "older man".

I liked Newsround cos I could usually understand it whereas the 6 o clock news (straight after The Magic Roundabout) used to confuse me.
      "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
        I liked Newsround cos I could usually understand it whereas the 6 o clock news (straight after The Magic Roundabout) used to confuse me.

Well lets face it, it doesn't take much Jacqueline

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
          Well lets face it, it doesn't take much Jacqueline

It's alright for you young whippersnappers...

Anyway, back on topic. Did John Craven do anything else inbetween Newsround and Countryfile? Am I becoming so dotty that I've forgotten? (No comments from you HG!)

Comment

According to wikipedia no, he left Newsround in 1989(!!!) to join Countryfile

Comment

See. I'm not dotty after all. Thanks for checking that for me.

Comment

Wow, that was really terrible. I can remember why I never watched it now!
                John Craven looks like he has plastic moulded hair and he has such a long face. His looks also improved with time as did his presenting skills!

Comment

Such a great clip to see again. John had such a friendly manner. I remember a particular Newsround in the late 70s when John reported on the launch of the Voyager spacecraft. I recorded it with my newly aquired tape recorder and microphone. Yes, ...honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
                    See. I'm not dotty after all. Thanks for checking that for me.
                    Course not, you're welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                      Such a great clip to see again. John had such a friendly manner. I remember a particular Newsround in the late 70s when John reported on the launch of the Voyager spacecraft. I recorded it with my newly aquired tape recorder and microphone. Yes, ...honestly.
                      That reminds me, I used to do that. I remember recording an episode of M*A*S*H where Radar was looking into someones (The Colonel's?) ear and they said "What can you see?" He replied "It's like a little nativity play..." My brother and I still quote that to one another if we see an ear examination (which admittedly doesn't occur THAT often...)

I'll get my coat.

Comment

Incidently, the tingly bongo opening theme to 'John Craven's Newsround' is the first 12 seconds of 'Johnny One Note' by Ted Heath.
                        "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
                          Incidently, the tingly bongo opening theme to 'John Craven's Newsround' is the first 12 seconds of 'Johnny One Note' by Ted Heath.
                          Who knew it was a real tune? And it screams 1967! Should have guessed with the bongos. What a laugh.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enq32...eature=related
                          Last edited by Trickyvee; 14-01-2011, 20:39.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

Great to hear that. So imagine the ending theme has a different origin. "Dub a diddly dum, dub a diddly DUM!" ..using a kind of fret-base sound.

Comment

The ending is the last few notes of New Worlds, recorded by John Baker at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ba...ic_musician%29
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X