Top of the Pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top of the Pops

Top of the Pops, also known as TOTP, was a Music phenomenon when I was growing up. You watched it religiously, every Thursday evening at 7pm. It was broadcast weekly from 1 January 1964 to 30 July 2006. and had always been shown on Thursday evening on BBC One, before being moved to Fridays in 1996, and then moved to Sundays on BBC Two in 2005. Each weekly programme had performances from some of that week's best-selling music artists, with a rundown of that week's singles chart. The way the programme worked in my generation is you had a studio audience who stood behind the presenter, who - to raucous screams and cheers - announced who you had just seen, and what countdown was of the top 40 singles that week. The studio audience always seemed slightly mental to me, they cheered and made so much noise

More...

Re: Top of the Pops

to be honest it needs to b brought back.

it was so good as it was a show where new talent could get noticed.

and it great interaction with the audience

they repeated it late saturday night i think 2am in the morning.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The BBC seemed a bit too hasty to axe it, considering downloading were becoming more popular & making single sales more important.

Just recently there was some news about the BBC thinking about a new music show.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978
        The BBC seemed a bit too hasty to axe it, considering downloading were becoming more popular & making single sales more important.

Just recently there was some news about the BBC thinking about a new music show.
        why was it axed.
        can it have been because ratings had went down significantly.
        no new music show jut bring totp back.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I used to LOVE TOTP! I must admit though, when they axed it, the music was getting pretty rubbish on there, just rave music but that's how the times change I guess...

Comment

I do enjoy TOTP2 as well. That's gone now except for occasional "specials". The voice overs by Steve Wright and latterly Mark Radcliffe added something to it as did the onscreen notes.
            "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

TOTP still has its place in British culture. It should never have been stopped.
              Of course the ratings were going to fall because there has been a natural dilution of viewers by the mere fact that there are so many more channels now and radio stations. It should have been kept even if it only catered for a minority. There are so many Charts and chart shows now for each cable and satellite station and radio network but it has always been the BBC chart that represented 'The Official British Chart' because the BBC is non commercial and isn't owned by commerce it is owned by us. At the time it was axed music was pretty poor but it was relevant for that time.
              TOTP2 was superb and equally should still have a regular place on the BBC.

Comment

Can anybody remember the music that was played during the chart countdown on TOTP in the early-mid 80's? Was is part of an actual song or just generic BBC pop countdown music? I can still hear it now
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Wasn't it Yellow Pearl by Phil Lynott (of Thin Lizzy fame)?

Yes it was.

Comment

I thought it was a whole lot of love

Heather

Comment

That was the intro music Huggie. The countdown music in the 80s was the one in that clip.

Comment

Cheers Jacqueline, you got it!
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74
                          I thought it was a whole lot of love

That was earlier, Yellow Pearl took over in 80s I think. Midge Ure was involved in it too, i think

Comment

Originally posted by Grosh62
                            That was earlier, Yellow Pearl took over in 80s I think. Midge Ure was involved in it too, i think
                            so they did do the actual countdown to it at some point?
                            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74
                              so they did do the actual countdown to it at some point?
                              I think so........ but there was a lot of 'thinking' in my original post so I'm still 'thinking' now..... but I think so

Comment

Working...
                              X