Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the worst band you ever saw live

Originally posted by Falco View Post
    That'd have to be Whitesnake at Donington, Monsters of Rock 1990. Top of the bill, but everybody else there was better - even Poison, who, after getting clonked on the head by plastic bottles of pee, swore they'd never play the gig again(!). Whitesnake sounded washed out, with stand-ins for Steve Vai and the bass player, who just couldn't deliver anything like the sound. Got bored, and made for the exits before half of humanity decided it was time to leave.
    Ha I was also there for 1990 MoR.
    Although Steve Vai did play as he did a solo spot in the middle of the gig where he played "For the love of god" I'd been hoping he would play it, and when he did it just sent shivers up my spine.
    The song ended on a long, long note that just didn't stop and then Steve's mirror'd guitar shot up in to the air spinning with the spotlights on it.
    In fact I seem to remember it being a pretty good gig, even Adrian Vandenburg the second guitar player was there after missing out on recording the album after injuring his hand.
    Granted Posion were a bit rubbish but Aerosmith made up for it!
    sigpic

Comment

Really? Could have sworn they said Vai wasn't there. Oh well...lol...then it sucked for me even with him in the mix ;o) Yeah, agree about Aerosmith - blew the doors off the place for me. And I enjoyed everybody else on the bill, having never heard the Quireboys or Thunder before. Was just all hyped up for Whitesnake, and felt like in the end I was watching some out-of-shape tribute band...but then I left before they'd finished, so never got the Vai experience you mention. Cool to get another perspective on it though - thanks Paulos.

Comment

Donnington90 was probably one of the first gigs i really wanted to go to ...but couldnt..too young at 16 and the day my gcse results would be released..gutted. big aerosmith and poison fan too.

With regards to whitesnake, daves voice seems to have got really bad over the years, saw them with def leppard in 2008 i think and i was really underwhelmed..here is my video i took..it sometimes sounds like daves teeth are stuck together and he is singing through them...shame really. Thunder are still brilliant live though.
        http://youtu.be/OmyKxPVZFfA

My personal worst gig would be Korn at Wembley arena...totally souless arena for starters, no crowd interaction at all,no korn drummer,no decent support band..washed out sound too. waste of money

Comment

Originally posted by RetroAEROSMITH View Post
          Donnington90 was probably one of the first gigs i really wanted to go to ...but couldnt..too young at 16 and the day my gcse results would be released..gutted. big aerosmith and poison fan too.

With regards to whitesnake, daves voice seems to have got really bad over the years, saw them with def leppard in 2008 i think and i was really underwhelmed..here is my video i took..it sometimes sounds like daves teeth are stuck together and he is singing through them...shame really. Thunder are still brilliant live though.
          Apparently Whitesnake have a new album out!!
          Underwhelming tour coming your way soon!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, nearly bought it a couple of days ago, then decided to listen to snippets on iTunes...
            So, that's a tenner saved...

Comment

Easy, I only went to impress a girl and the tickets were a real pig to get but Simply Red at Wembley Arena, late 80s/early 90s was the longest night of my life, bloody awful!

Comment

uote
                With regards to whitesnake, daves voice seems to have got really bad over the years, saw them with def leppard in 2008 i think and i was really underwhelmed..here is my video i took..it sometimes sounds like daves teeth are stuck together and he is singing through them...shame really. Thunder are still brilliant live though

I saw Whitesnake in Glasgow around 2007 and was still impressed with Coverdales vocals. At one point he asked to band to stop playing. he walked to the front of the stage and asked the audience what they wanted to hear. he then sang a few verses of a few songs un accompanied, stunning vocals.

Agree about Thunder seen them a few times and they are excellent

Comment

Shocked to read that Blondie circa 1980 were poor.

Too young (born 1970) to have seen them live then, but have some bootlegs from that era and they sound great. Might have been an off night.

I could forgive Debbie Harry (circa 1980) anything.

Comment

As a Fish fan of many years, i can assure you that John Otway and Wild Willy Barratt have never played with him. You must be mistaken.

Fish had some vocal problems a few years back, and if you look on his website, he admits his singing wasent up to standard, they then found a problem on his vocal chords, after an operation and 6 months rest, he is back to sounding like he did in his Marillion days. Fish gigs are legendry for being very good. you wont get a better performer. He does not live in the past either, by belting out 80's hits on these awful tours that are full of people like sonia.

Comment

I don't think the poster was suggesting Otway played as Fish's backng band,
                      But Otway has deffo supported both Marillion and solo Fish, at Aylesbury Friars venue

Comment

He also wasn't suggesting Fish was bad, rather Otway & Barrett

Comment

Originally posted by dickyhart View Post
                          As a Fish fan of many years, i can assure you that John Otway and Wild Willy Barratt have never played with him. You must be mistaken.

Fish had some vocal problems a few years back, and if you look on his website, he admits his singing wasent up to standard, they then found a problem on his vocal chords, after an operation and 6 months rest, he is back to sounding like he did in his Marillion days. Fish gigs are legendry for being very good. you wont get a better performer. He does not live in the past either, by belting out 80's hits on these awful tours that are full of people like sonia.
                          sorry dickyhart i just looked back to my post and i said " backing him" , i of course should have said, supporting him. They really was rubbish though, but Fish , as always, was superb. Hope that clears things up
                          WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

Went to a three day festival ,Feile in Cork in 1995.There were some great performances from Blur,The prodigy,Moby et al but the one everyone looked forward to were the Stone Roses on the final night.However they were a major disapointment,there was no energy and they came across like they just dident want to be there.It was all the original line up with the exception of Reni.I suppose they were well past their 89,90 prime at this stage.

Comment

I walked out of last Friday's Sydney Roxette concert after about 20 minutes. F-ckin dire.

sigpic

Comment

Terence Trent D'arby in 1988, the support act was far better.

I think the venue does have a lot to do with it sometimes, I saw The Mission in Exeter in 1990, they were dire but 2 days later in Bristol, they were amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X