Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early - mid 90's fantasy/monsters magazine

Hi all,

This is going to be pretty vague but I hope someone can help me.

Back when I used to be about 9 or so there used to be a bi-weekly or monthly magazine that was published that eash issue used to feature a different monster that a group of "heroes" used to encounter.

I remember one of the issues featuring a big green swamp monster type thing, who was featured on the cover, and also to keep all the issues that were collected there was a cardboard folder that was supplied that I think had a picture of this evil metal mask, that if I remember correctly, you could also find the same metal mask hidden in the pictures featured inside the magazines. I think he was the main antagonist of the books, like a kind of Sauron from LotR figure.

The artwork was very beautiful and detailed, and I would be really happy if someone could identify the series of magazines for me.

Thanks for any replies

Re: Early - mid 90's fantasy/monsters magazine

Hi
    I have something what sounds like what you described, it is called 'The Ancestral Trail', which was published by Marshall Cavendish in fortnightly parts. The first issue came in a large folder that the first part you open reveals a black horned mask on a red/black back ground, then when the folder is opened more there it is nicely illustrated with a wizard called golan talking to a young man called Richard about some legend. Inside the folder is a illustrated flap that contains the first issue of 'The Ancestral Trail', this issue is called 'The Moss Beast - In the grip of the slime river ghoul'. The magazine is nicely illustrated throughout. I used to have several issues but as far as I am aware I only have the first issue and folder now. Hope this is of some help.

Comment

Retro's info led me to this blog where you can view several illustrations http://ancestraltrail.blogspot.com/
      Heather

Comment

Thank you very much Retro Ghoul and Huggie74, you've hit the nail right on the head

So nice to see some bits and bobs of it again, just wish I could have all the magazines now.

Again thank you!

Comment

Thanks to Wiki I've found a site that features all the cover artworks, and seems to provide all the text in each issue under the cover :O

http://www.theancestraltrail.com/New...ction/site.php

Comment

So pleased to be of help and great to hear that you have found those sites on line, should bring back a lot of fond memories for you. Have you tried looking on ebay for any issues?
            All the best

Comment

Working...
            X