Old fashioned butcher's shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old fashioned butcher's shops

We had a butcher's down our local shops with sawdust on the floor and all the huge carcasses hanging up on the back wall right where the customers stood. It would never be allowed now! I remember the raw smell, kicking around the sawdust and probably giving the meat a poke out of curiosity. The butcher was your typically jolly, wise cracking butcher-type fella but even as a kid I thought he was too in-your-face and I didn't like him, poor guy.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Old fashioned butcher's shops

I was just talking about these recently to a friend. Yeah, I remember kicking the sawdust, making wee piles of it...and all the carcusses hanging up. My friend became vegetarian after getting a good close up view of a pig's carcus being carried into the shop. I wasn't a bit bothered, don't think it dawned on me they were real dead animals.

Comment

I remember a butcher's shop just like that my mum used to go in.
      There was a stuffed front of a bull's head on the wall with the two horns that used to fascinate me.
      sigpic
      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Did you see Cook It, Kill It, Eat it?
        I won't go into the best details due to this being a family forum and they might put people off.
        You don't see many indeopendent butchers round these days but if it came down to loyalty to one chain of butchers, it has to be GABBOTS FARMS. This is something internet shopping can never do, prepare a carcass for your specified needs and hand it to you fresh let alone put fresh meat out right in front of you.
        WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

We had a traditional butcher's shop at the bottom of a really long ginnel from high school in the 70's. I used to call in once a week and ask for a bag of pork scratchings. They were free and they filled a small carrier bag full (prob equivalent of 30 packets of Pub Pork scratchings). If you were lucky you would find the odd nipple in there!... I miss those days. They are 70p for a small bag of dried up pig skin now.

Comment

we stlll have proper butchers shops where iam.

although i can see butchers shops disappearing due to supermarkets selling meat.
            i hope the proper butchers shops dont completely disappear.
            the ones in my area do a great trade.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember the old shops with the sawdust on the floor.
              But i still remember to this day the butcher for some reason gave me a pigs eye!
              As a young boy i thought it was amazing lol

Comment

Originally posted by old git View Post
                I remember the old shops with the sawdust on the floor.
                But i still remember to this day the butcher for some reason gave me a pigs eye!
                As a young boy i thought it was amazing lol
                My uncle worked on a fish quay when I was young and often had loads of whole fish in the back of his van. I liked to poke the eyes
                1976 Vintage

Comment

The butcher shop I remember from when I was a child recently closed last year. Although I'm now a vegetarian, I used to love going in with Mum. She'd order the meat and give me the ticket to take over to the hatch to pay for it. The same faces worked in it until it closed.

The shop also had a butcher's van, which would come round once a week about 8.30am, before I went to school. He'd park right outside the house, I used to go in the wee door at the back to get the order, which included a large bone for the dog.

Reminds me of the Fishman, he'd park down the next cul-de-sac, but we could see him from the house. Always remember seeing him with the backdoors open of his van and 3 or 4 of the neighbourhood cats sitting beside him, patiently waiting for some scraps.

Comment

I remember my mum sending me to the local butchers when I was a kid to get a pig's head. She told me to ask the butcher to make sure it still had it's eyes in. Well, it did have to see us through the week.

Comment

The butchers shop near where I grew up always had a pigs head on display in the window.

Comment

Where I am the closest thing to traditional butcher shops are mainly found in the predominately ethnic areas but even there the supermarkets have taken hold.

Comment

Thankfully we up here still have plenty of 'wee butchers shops'.

In my town, I am spoiled, with about four small local, long standing butchers, all superb quality. In fact I ordered my turkey, stuffing, chipolatas and my New Year steak pie from my favourite just an hour ago!. And saved myself £15 as opposed to shopping in M and S or Tescos. And its great quality, and importantly, local produce, putting money back into local farmers and businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by ann22 View Post
                            I was just talking about these recently to a friend. Yeah, I remember kicking the sawdust, making wee piles of it...and all the carcusses hanging up. My friend became vegetarian after getting a good close up view of a pig's carcus being carried into the shop. I wasn't a bit bothered, don't think it dawned on me they were real dead animals.
                            I was never bothered by it either and I knew fine well that they were dead animals hanging up. I was intrigued by them more than anything else. Mind you, the other day I walked past an old fashioned butchers as they were opening the back of a van outside and was met with the sight of about 10 pig's heads looking back at me. That gave me a bit of a start!
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

Ah yes, the local butcher was a jolly bearded man and used to make lovely pork beef and sage sausages. All the meat used to come from local farms and he used to sell rabbits and pheasants and good cheese. He had a machine called a Crypto Rotabowl which was a mixer with a mincer attached to the side and the bowl used to swing out to catch the minced meat! He was in business until the late 1990s. And guess what? Yes, a big supermarket put him out of business and his old shop is now a hair and tanning parlour.

Comment

Working...
                              X