• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1977

anything like these?

Heather

Comment

Hi Geoff, take a look at this thread it may have some pictures on there We have other catalogie page threads too if you do a search, hope you find them

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...ogue-toy-pages

bloody huggie lol
      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Heather

Comment

I was about to be conceived or in my Mums tum.

Comment

1977: Standing in a long line to see Star Wars at the cinema. I was in middle school at the time and Star Wars even came up as a question on the weekly quiz in our Current Events class!

Comment

Punk at full pelt,jubilee year,Elvis.Brings back a lot of memories.Long hair quickly vanished and spike hair and tatty tartan and safety pins suddenly appeared all over the place.Kids suddenly sorta became aggresive towards the establishment.I great year to live through.I have always felt that it was from about 1977 that the country changed for good,noticably peoples attitudes towards each other was never quite the same again.Possible it was part of the punk mentality that worked its way into most classes within a few years of 1977.

Comment

I was 13 in '77 so there was really no chance I could escape the pull of Star Wars. Bought the double soundtrack LP months before I even saw the film and I still have a scrapbook full of cuttings culled from newspapers and Look-In.

I remember punk being about but it never really affected me and I didn't like the music.

Comment

The Eurovision Song Contest came from the Wembley Conference Centre, London, UK.
                  • Originally it was due to take place on 2 April, but due to a strike by cameramen and technicians, it finally took place on Saturday 7 May.
                  • 18 countries took part.
                  • Sweden returned and Yugoslavia withdrew.
                  • Tunisia were due to enter for the first time ever, and perfrom fourth in the line-up, but withdrew.
                  • The rule requiring each country to sing in its national language was reintroduced. However Germany and Belgium were allowed to sing in English as their entries were chosen before reinstatement of the rule.
                  • France won with "L'oiseau Et L'enfant" sung by Marie Myriam, scoring 136 points. Interestingly they performed last in the line-up. This was their fifth win in the history of the Contest, but most recent to-date.
                  • The UK's entry "Rock Bottom" sung by Lynsey de Paul and Mike Moran, finished 2nd with 121 points.
                  • No-one got nul points; Sweden finished last with 2 points: "Beatles" sung by Forbes.

Tuesday 7 June was Silver Jubilee Day, and therefore a UK bank holiday.
                  • Over a million people lined the streets of London watching the official procession to and from St Pauls Cathedral.
                  • Other Jubilee celebrations took place all over the UK.
                  • Celebrations where I lived were: 1) morning serivce at Holy Trinity Church, Long Sutton, Somerset (where I, like other children, received my Jubilee mug), 2) lunchtime street party in Knole (near the bridge), 3) maypole dancing on Long Sutton playing field in the afternoon.
                  • Meanwhile that same day, the punk band Sex Pistols performed their controversial version of "God save the Queen" from a boat on the River Thames in London. Although radio stations were banned from playing the single, it reached number 2 in the UK singles chart.

The BBC Look and Read story "The King's Dragon" had its first ever run in the spring term 1977 (10 episodes, 11 Jan 1977 to 22 Mar 1977 inclusive).

ABBA continued their success
                  • In January they began a tour of Europe. This was follwed by tour of Australia in March.
                  • They had two more number ones on the UK singles chart: "Knowing Me Knowing You" and "Name Of The Game".

Elvis Presley, "King of Rock 'n' Roll", died aged 42 on 16 August at Memphis, Tennessee.
                  • Two days later his funeral was held at Graceland.
                  • His single "Way Down" was released just before 16 August. On 3 September it reached number one on the UK charts.

Other UK number one singles included:
                  • David Soul - "Dont Give Up On Us"
                  • Julie Covington - "Dont Cry For Me Argentina"
                  • Leo Sayer - "When I Need You"
                  • Brotherhood Of Man - "Angelo"
                  • Baccara - "Yes Sir I Can Boogie"
                  • Wings - "Mull Of Kintyre (Christmas number one)

Finally Friday 30 September was my birthday - I was 6, and had a party at home with my family plus six of my friends from school (four boys and two girls) present.
                  Last edited by Star Attraction; 11-02-2012, 15:31.
                  I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

Working...
                  X