Re: 1974

west germany won the 74 world cup.
    beating holland 2-1
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

1974 -

Watergate Scandal
      Ali knocks out Foreman in 'The Rumble in the Jungle' in Zaire (DR Congo now)
      Penelope Cruz & Robbie Williams were born
      The 3-day week - a nightmare for me when I couldn't play my 45 rpm's

No:1 hits that year:
      Annie's Song - John Denver
      Kung Fu Fighting - Carl Douglas
      Rock Your Baby - George McCrae
      Waterloo - Abba

Comment

In 1974, I was allowed for the first time, to have a 'grown up' birthday party. I was 13 and I chose to have a disco. All the furniture was moved out of the room and the spooled tape player was started. 'Love Me for a Reason', 'Rock Me Gently', 'Sad Sweet Dreamer', 'Sugar Baby Love', 'Honey Honey', 'Seasons on the Sun', 'Billy Don't be a Hero', 'School Love' and Hot Chocolate's 'Emma', poured through the speakers. I remember the evening very well. All the boys stood at one end of the room and the girls at the other. Eventually, there was a kind of meeting.

Comment

The first number one of the year was You Won't Find Another Fool Like Me by New Seekers and the last was Lonely This Christmas by Mud.
          The best number one is probably Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas, but it was a great year for music imho.
          sigpic
          'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
            The best number one is probably Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas.
            NO.1 the day I was born
            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
              NO.1 the day I was born

LOL!

Well of course 1974 must be remembered on here as the year Our Hugs was born

sigpic
              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Jon Pertwee ended his time as Doctor Who & Tom Baker took over.

The one-off drama Regan was first shown, which was developed into The Sweeney.

After winning the league with Leeds United Don Revie replaced Alf Remsey as England Manager.

Brian Clough replace Revie at Leeds, but didn't last long.

Liverpool beat Newcastle in the FA Cup final, which was the last competitive game managed by Bill Shankley.

In the charity Shield Kevin Keegan & Billy Bremner were both sent off for fighting & were banned from playing for a few weeks.
                Last edited by Richard1978; 22-01-2011, 01:31.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Planet of the apes.
                  Streets of london - Ralph McTell
                  "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

The Eurovision Song Contest came from The Dome, Brighton, UK on Saturday 6 April.
                    • 17 countries took part.
                    • The voting system which had been used in the past was re-introduced: each country had 10 jury members who each awarded 1 point to their favorite song. It was the last time this method was used.
                    • France were going to participate with "La Vie A Vingt-cinq Ans" sung by Dani, but withdrew last minute as the French President, Georges Pompidou, died in the week of the Contest. This was their first ever absence, having participated each year from 1956 to 1973 inclusive.
                    • Sweden won with "Waterloo" sung by ABBA, scoring 24 points (I know that sounds low, but that's how the voting system worked). It subsequently became number 1 on the UK singles chart.
                    • The UK's entry "Long Live Love" sung by Olivia Newton-John, finished 4th with 14 points.
                    • Greece entered for the first time. Its entry "Krassi, Thalassa Ke T'agori Mou" sung by Marinella finished 11th with 7 points.
                    • No-one got nul points; four countries (Norway, Germany, Switzerland, Portugal) finished joint last with 3 points.
                    • The interval act featured The Wombles.

The 10th FIFA World Cup, was held from 13 June to 7 July 1974 in West Germany (including West Berlin)
                    • Out of 99 countries which entered, only 16 countries (including hosts West Germany and 1970 champions Brazil) qualified for the final tournament.
                    • England failed to qualify.
                    • Scotland qualified, and were in Group 2, but finished 3rd and were thus eliminated at the end of the first round.
                    • Hosts West Germany were up against newcomers East Germany in Group 1
                    • Within Group 1, East Germany won and West Germany were runners-up.
                    • However in the second round, East Germany finished 3rd in Group A (and thus knocked out) whereas West Germany won Group B and thus went on to the final.
                    • Hosts West Germany won the final against Netherlands on 7 July 1974 (Netherlands 1 West Germany 2).

Many changes to local government in England and Wales came into effect on 1 April 1974.
                    • In England some new counties such as Avon, Cleveland and Humberside were created.
                    • Various other boundary changes occurred in certain other parts of England.
                    • The whole of Wales was radically altered; including groups of old counties merged to form larger new counties (e.g. Cardiganshire, Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire together became Dyfed).

The UK had two general elections that year:
                    • 28 February 1974 General Election resulted in a hung parliament. Eventually Labour formed a minority government (Prime Minister Harold Wilson).
                    • 10 October 1974 General Election resulted in Labour winning a narrow majority of just 3 seats (Prime Minister Harold Wilson).

Other UK number one singles included:
                    • Mud - "Tiger Feet"
                    • Terry Jacks - Seasons In The Sun"
                    • The Three Degrees - When Will I See You Again"
                    • The Osmonds - "Love Me For A Reason"
                    • David Essex - "Gonna Make You A Star"
                    • Barry White - "You're The First The Last My Everything"
                    • Mud - "Lonely This Christmas" (Christmas 1974 number one)
                    I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

William Purry was born on the 28th August. Scooby Doo was on followed by Jackanory Playhouse.

Comment

The Lords of Flatbush -- Set in 1950s Brooklyn this film starred a couple of unknowns named Sylvester Stallone and Henry Winkler who was a sort of proto-Fonzie.

Comment

Working...
                        X