Instrumental on the B side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrumental on the B side

Something occured to me when reading a post about the band, ABC. There seemed to be quite a number of singles in the late 70s and through the 80s that included an instrumental version of the song as a B side. ABC's 'The Look of Love' is a case in point. I played it over an over whilst singing along with the track! I think Soft Cell and Erasure recorded similar intrumentals.

Are there any other hits that people remember as having an instrumental alternative on the B side?
    Last edited by Marine Boy; 21-01-2011, 00:02.

Re: Instrumental on the B side

Ali Campbell's 'That Look In Your Eye' (1995) had an instrumental version of it on the B-side. From later the same year, Dreadzone's excellent 'Little Britain' (nothing to do with Matt Lucas & David Walliams) had both vocal and instrumental versions.
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

It was very common in the 1980s, either an instrumental or a remix. The ones I can remember off the top of my head are Bad Boys by Wham!, Hey You the Rocksteady Crew by the Rocksteady Crew, Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Junior and Wood Beez by Scritti Politti.

Strangely, I've just been through all my seven inch singles to check this but these exact ones are all missing. I think my brother nicked 'em!

On the other hand, the Pet Shop Boys used to make a special effort to put a proper song on the b-side. Eventually they released them on an album called Alternative. One of my favourite albums actually.

Comment

Johnny Reggae - The Piglets. Instrumental version after the original here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lJDeYIh4No Much better I thought.

Comment

Working...
        X