No announcement yet.

anyone have a favourite vinyl record they would love to get on cd ? but cant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have a favourite vinyl record they would love to get on cd ? but cant

i have a 7" vinyl single from a band called bethnal from late 70,s the track is called nothing new and is one of my fave tracks of all time but cannot get it on compact disc anywhere in the world {had a few vinyl transfers that were terrible} but it seems that even the album {crash landing} will ever see the light of day... boooo hooooo :cry:

Re: anyone have a favourite vinyl record they would love to get on cd ? but cant

I have had this problem with rare dance tracks but I've managed to solve this problem one way or another over the years.

Freeez - IOU 12" version. I sold the version I had in the 1980s for some reason and really regretted it, I found it a few years ago on a compilation album along with a few other gems.

Cherrelle - Affair 12" version. I have the album this is from but the 12" version isn't on it. I now have a record player and I have successfully transferred it to my computer.

Re-Flex - The Politics of Dancing. I always wanted the 12" version of this and I found it on Amazon, now happily listening to it as an MP3 but I would have to buy the CD compilation if I wanted true quality.

The Silent Underdog (Paul Hardcastle) - Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag (Electrofunk version). Another one I sold in the 1980s and really regretted but somebody put it up on YouTube and I decided that it wasn't as good as I remember so I won't bother tracking it down on vinyl.

The one you mention is pretty obscure so I'm not surprised it won't get reissued on CD. I just checked Amazon and you could try buying another copy that is on sale there, but no MP3 unfortunately.

Comment

Re: anyone have a favourite vinyl record they would love to get on cd ? but cant

Originally posted by Techno View Post
      Re-Flex - The Politics of Dancing. I always wanted the 12" version of this and I found it on Amazon, now happily listening to it as an MP3 but I would have to buy the CD compilation if I wanted true quality.
      Absolutely top quality tune, like Fiction Factory's 'Feels Like Heaven' it was one of the 'number ones that should have been' when rubbish like Lionel Richie's 'Hello' was getting there. If anyone wants to know what 80s music at its best was like, they should just listen to these two songs instead of all the Adam and the Ants and Wham! that continually gets dragged out by the media to represent the decade.

Comment

Originally posted by stockportyears View Post
        Absolutely top quality tune
        EMI have put the video up on YouTube:

Comment

Originally posted by Techno View Post
          You can get it on a 6 disc compilation called 80s 12". You can pick it up for about £8 from hmv.
          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by dwain-dibley View Post
            i have a 7" vinyl single from a band called bethnal from late 70,s the track is called nothing new and is one of my fave tracks of all time but cannot get it on compact disc anywhere in the world {had a few vinyl transfers that were terrible} but it seems that even the album {crash landing} will ever see the light of day... boooo hooooo :cry:
            If you can find a video on youtube you can grab it as an mpe if you know how plus there are numerous programmes for grabbing the song from your record player and remove pops and cracks.Even little record players that convert to mp3 and have a usb connector to pc.
            sigpic

Comment

It's true that there are a LOT of 80's compilation cd's out there and the same tracks keep popping up with mundane regularity probably due to licencing and publishing restrictions. However there is a huge backlog of tunes that never see the light of day on cd e.g. "Murphy's Law" by Cheri and it was a top twenty hit making it to No 13 in 1982. Perhaps we could start a competition to find the most successfull 80's track that has never been released on cd!??

Comment

There's also a few artists, not just from the 1980s, who have never released a compilation, or before CDs were common.

A few years ago I couldn't find a decent Thompson Twins compliation on CD until I was on holiday in America & tracked down a fairly comprehensive one.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I bought a Thompson Twins 12" collection in 1991 (The Best of The Thompson Twins - Greatest Mixes) which I am quite happy with. It is deleted now though but people are still selling copies on Amazon.

I forgot to ask dwain-dibley whether the poor quality of his transfers is due to the record or the capture. I connect my record player to my DJ mixer, which is then connected to the PC with a phono to USB converter (costs about £20 on Amazon), then the audio is captured using Audacity which can be downloaded for free. Provided the vinyl is still in reasonably good condition the results are very good.

Comment

I've occasionally done some ripping with dMC, which just needs an imput into the sound card. It was once featured on the Gadget Show.

My Dad has a tape transfer device.

Comment

anyone have a favourite vinyl record they would love to get on cd ? but cant

Last summer I transferred some of my vinyl and mixed it together. If you would like to download it please pm me for link.

It lasts about 20 minutes and is 41MB in size. Most of them are 12" versions. Some of these tracks are available on CD and some are not. It was mixed with Mix CD Producer, which is cheap version of MixMeister Express.

Malcolm Mclaren and the World's Famous Supreme Team - Do Ya Like Scratchin'?
                      Jeff Wayne/Ben Liebrand - The Eve of the War
                      Cherrelle - Affair
                      Paul Hardcastle - The Wizard
                      S'Express - Superfly Guy
                      Big Audio Dynamite - E=MC2
                      The Outfield - Voices of Babylon
                      Last edited by HG; 29-01-2011, 23:44. Reason: removing direct link

Comment

I have been looking for a very obscure LP, the JSD Band, with an album called Travelling Days. This was released in 1973 and is fairly widely available on vinyl on Ebay. I have great memories of listening to this album in the late 70's early 80's.

I tried everywhere on the net but nothing. There is very little youtube footage, well sound anyway. I did eventually manage to track this down on a wonderful website and this is being sent to me from a guy in the Russian Federation. This was ordered at the weekend so hopefully should be here later this week

Comment

one id love to have is earth angel.
                          cant think who sang it.
                          but u gear it in superman 3.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            one id love to have is earth angel.
                            cant think who sang it.
                            but u gear it in superman 3.
                            The Penguins

Comment

I've heard that original 45s of Earth Angels in decent condition can be worth a lot, possibly into 4 figures.

Comment

Working...
                              X