The New Avengers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Avengers

Essentially this was very similar to the original 'Avengers' series, but updated for the '70s and somewhat inferior to it's masterful 1960s original. Whilst Patrick macNee remained in his role of Steed, although Joanna Lumley in the role of 'Purdey' replaced Diana Rigg's Emma Peel, and Gareth Hunt appeared (in pre-Nescafe-ad. days) as third agent 'Gambit'.Twenty six episodes were filmed between the October of '76 and the end of '77, written by Brian Clemens and Dennis Spooner and broadcast on ITV. The storylines, although intriguing, were considerably more far-fetched than the original 'Avengers', inclining more towards sci-fi plots and away from straightforward espionage (i.e. humanoid robots, cryogenesis, mind-control etc. etc.) which stretched the viewer's credulity considerably. Originality could also sometimes be lacking -'Gnaws', an episode featuring giant rats in the sewer network, was probably borrowed from a certain Dr. Who episode (although loved by fans of The Stranglers no doubt) whilst 'K Is For Kill' was blatantly lifted from the Charles Bronson film 'Telephone'. Nonetheless, for every rip-off tale there were at least three originals, one of the best being 'Complex' (where the mind of a rogue agent known as 'Scapinia' is downloaded into a colossal computer, based in an office complex in Canada that is entirely digitally-controlled from a central database. 'Scapinia' sets about eliminating anybody who seeks to inflitrate his / it's HQ to switch him off, using all manner of nasty lines in practical jokes such as collapsing lift floors and corridor walls that tip up into an incinerator shaft. Our intrepid threesome soon find themselves in the clutches of this objectionable building).Episode runs were complicated by the fact that regional ITV netweorks failed to stick to the set running schedule, meaning that different parts of the series were shown at different times in varying parts of the country (this didn't matter in practice, since most of the episodes were self-contained, although the much-travelled could often find themselves watching the same episode twice if they found themselves in different ITV regions from week to week). Joanna Lumley later recalled that of all her many TV appearances, making 'The New Avengers' was her most exciting and downright fun role to date.

More...

Re: The New Avengers

It was shown on friday evenings in the ATV region. I can remember how excited I was waiting for the first episode--The Eagle's Nest. Joanna Lumley was perfect as Purdey. Gareth Hunt was also very good as Gambit, and the two had some witty banter. Series 1 was the best. Series 2 was a bit of a mixed bag...the episodes filmed in Canada are generally the weakest imo. Lots of girls emulated Purdey's hairstyle--at least 2 in my class. My favourite episode has to be Last of the Cybernauts.

Comment

By channel hopping you can see this alongside Randall and hopkirk, hogans heroes, I dream of jeanie, mash, Starsky and hutch, The human jungle, Burkes law and if you want some really ancient nostalgia Dick tracy and Zorro,and if you record all these you can fast forward the ads!

Comment

Thanks for highlighting those classic shows--I'd rather watch any of them over what passes for entertainment today.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          Thanks for highlighting those classic shows--I'd rather watch any of them over what passes for entertainment today.
          Staffslad,do you mean you dont watch love island?
          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
            Staffslad,do you mean you dont watch love island?

I've not heard of Love Island. What kind of programme is it?

Comment

I've not heard of Love Island. What kind of programme is it?
              Just the kind of rubbish that passes for entertainment today, believe me you would hate it!

Comment

Indeed, it is rubbish. Watched it for five minutes last year. I hated it.
                Last time I watched any sort of reality programme was Big Brother when Silpa Setty was in the series.

Comment

Well, I was intrigued about Love Island, and managed to find an 8 minute clip on Youtube purporting to be the best bits from 2018. Oh, dear. 2 minutes was enough for me. I don't know if I am getting old, but I cannot for the life of me see why people watch it and the myriad of other reality shows that infest the TV schedules.

Comment

Well, I was intrigued about Love Island, and managed to find an 8 minute clip on Youtube purporting to be the best bits from 2018. Oh, dear. 2 minutes was enough for me. I don't know if I am getting old, but I cannot for the life of me see why people watch it and the myriad of other reality shows that infest the TV schedules.
                    Here,here...well spoken,what is worrying however is the popularity of this kind of nonsense,superficial doesn't begin to describe the people who are happy to have their lives laid out for all to see. What is a "Silpa sette" Moonraker?

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                      Here,here...well spoken,what is worrying however is the popularity of this kind of nonsense,superficial doesn't begin to describe the people who are happy to have their lives laid out for all to see. What is a "Silpa sette" Moonraker?

I would imagine shows like Love Island are aimed at the same audience who would find programmes such as The Jeremy Kyle Show entertaining. At their heart they are all about constant conflict and melodrama. I also suspect that they are cheap to make when compared to drama and comedy.

I believe that Moonraker is referring to an Indian actress who was on Big Brother years ago and was involved in some kind of racial incident. I have never watched BB but it was all over the media at the time and her name has stirred memories.

Comment

Working...
                      X