School dinners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School dinners

there might already be a thread, but i thought i would ask what you remember of school dinners.

Manchester Tart, sloppy semolina

Re: School dinners

Bananas in custard,chocolate pudding in mint custard,prunes in custard...
    Weird curry with beetroot..turned the rice purple.
    All pretty nasty stuff really although I always liked the sausages they served.

Comment

never had the mythical mint custard at my school, sounds well yummy.

Comment

Pink custard, chocolate sponge with brown custard, GORGEOUS mashed potatoes (ours must have been the only ones without lumps LOL!), and later on when I went to a boarding school, huge trays of un-nameable slop, including lemon meringue pie with filling SO yellow it glowed, and tasted like washing up liquid! Yak!!

Comment

Luckily I never had to have them

Comment

I remember irish stew, cheese pie n beans, sheppards pie, "concrete" cake and mint custard,Ice cream roll wrapped in paper,with red jelly,and the gold water jugs.
            Last edited by Heather74; 06-02-2007, 11:03.
            Heather

Comment

Stew and Dumplins, prunes, mince, prunes, pink custard, prunes,fish in milk,prunes, lemon tart(a fav) prunes and er.....prunes
              The eyes have it!
              sigpic

Comment

I was also lucky at Primary school where my Gran was a dinner lady, our table always got a bit extra or any seconds going.

At Secondary School a whole different ball game. We sat at mixed age tables and when you are a first year you only got what the older lads didn't want. Off course you did the same as you got older.

The School then changed to a Comprehensive and they upgraded the canteen to self service, with 3 sittings. First sitting good choice but small portions, second sitting less choice good portions, 3rd sitting no choice pie and chips or sausage roll and chips but whopper portions. Ah the good ol days
                The eyes have it!
                sigpic

Comment

My fave was mince'n'spuds'n'onions in gravy, our school did a bread'n'butter'n'jam pudding in custard that was dee-licious !
                  At day schools I got black banana sandwiches and a bottle of milk.
                  Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

LOL sounds like you went to the same school as me...prunes everywhere you look
                    Originally posted by pedro View Post
                    Stew and Dumplins, prunes, mince, prunes, pink custard, prunes,fish in milk,prunes, lemon tart(a fav) prunes and er.....prunes

Comment

Artic roll, cheese pie and cheese whip, always liked the fish in junior chool it was batteret but shaped like a sausage. Spam, **** sald, jelly with fruit in or blancmange with one little jelly sweet on the top. went onto packed lunches in secondaray school or went down my nans for lunch.
                      "Raggy dolls, Raggy Dolls, dolls like you and me" "Raggy Dolls, Raggy Dolls, made imperfectly"

Comment

Originally posted by ruby View Post
                        LOL sounds like you went to the same school as me...prunes everywhere you look
                        "Please, sir, may I go to the toilet ?"

Comment

If anyone remembers mr Taylor from ashby junior school 1972, Please tell me where he lives so I can go round his house make him eat custard till he is sick while constantly telling him to 'just try it, its really nice' in a patronising voice and then i want to punch his face in for making me 'just try it' for three years (not continuously obviously!) I hated custard then and i still hate it now!
                          There, rant over, (been dying to get that off me chest for 37 years. I'm psyhcologically scarred!)

Comment

But Leethev, custard is really nice, esp with bread'n'butter pudding. Believe me, if suggesting that you eat custard is the worst thing a teacher ever did to you, your school days weren't so bad....

Comment

Aidan, custard, nice, the next thing you'll be saying is that your next door neighbour is a mister taylor, used to work at a school in the midlands years ago, gets people to try his custard and hes a really nice bloke!!

Comment

Working...
                              X