Petrol station adverts featuring the Smurfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol station adverts featuring the Smurfs

At the start of the 1980s (and I think that a Look In annual referred to it as well, as their strips appeared in the magazine at the time), the Smurfs appeared in one, or a series of adverts for a petrol station company - I believe it is one which is no longer around. The 1978 Father Abraham song tune could be heard in the adverts, I think, and they sounded the same as they did in the song. I heard an audio version on the TV Cream website around 20 years ago.

They may have been originally seen in the Netherlands, and therefore it was a Dutch company, I believe which later no longer traded in Great Britain a la C&A. One cannot quite equate cartoon characters such as the Smurfs with a petrol station unless they were both from the same country, (even if some of them sold them in the shop). Shell, BP, Esso, (or any other company that you can type on a calculator upside down or with a mirror), fits in. I think it was called National something or other, but cannot be too sure. They disappeared during the course of the 1980s.

I am certain that one or two people on here can remember the name of that company?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Petrol station adverts featuring the Smurfs

It was deffo National. Although I thought it was the late 70s when you got "Service with a Smurf"?

I still have the original ones I got from there and the ones i got later from the shops as a kid.

Comment

Here's one of the adverts:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOlSWmjg9jk

Comment

Cheers - apologising for not returning sooner. I wasn't doing an "I'll get me coat" but my computer was on strike and needed mending, hence my absence on here since last Friday.

Although Smurfs still get mentioned from time to time, the petrol station adverts seem to almost be forgotten - a bit like the Munch Bunch TV series, although the yoghurts that they were based on are still in the supermarkets I believe.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The Munch Bunch were also a series of books, me & my brother had quite a few of them.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Remember this well.. I was a 5 year old when this was out and my Mum used to always get her petrol at National and get me the Smurf collectables, I remember having a National Smurf poster in those days too

Comment

Working...
            X