When toy guns were fine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When toy guns were fine...

I remember lots of play as a child that revolved around guns of one sort or another:

Spud guns: You pressed the nozzel of the gun into a potato, withdrew it, and fired out the little potato piece.

Cork guns: The barrel of the gun held a little cork on a string. The string was soon removed so that the cork could travel through the air and hit its mark!

Water pistols: These came in many different shapes and sizes. They were great fun, especially if you had an immediate source of reloading!

And, of course...Cap guns: You bought a little curled up spiral or 'caps' and placed them in the toy gun. I think you could get different sizes and that the sound was dependent on the size of gun and cap reel.

These days, I am rather unnerved when I see kids pointing toy guns at each other but in the 70s, it seemed pretty innocent.

Anyone else have any memories?

Re: When toy guns were fine...

Played with and loved them all. I have three brothers so toy guns were a must.
    I remember the potato pellets stang like heck and loved the smell of the caps, to the point we'd buy them gun or not just too through at the ground Now dance
    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
      Played with and loved them all. I have three brothers so toy guns were a must.
      I remember the potato pellets stang like heck and loved the smell of the caps, to the point we'd buy them gun or not just too through at the ground Now dance
      Actually, now you mention it, I think we used to put the caps on the ground and wack them with a stone!

Comment

and those little silver rocket ships, where you put a cap in the nose

need I mention it....Johnny Seven One Man Army gun...one of the greatest toys the planet has seen

not a gun, but what about catapults too..usually made from a Y-shaped twig, but I remember having a beaut of a steel one, with a leather missile-holder (acorns were the best missile IMHO )
        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
          I'd forgotten all about those but you reminded me! I love this forum

need I mention it....Johnny Seven One Man Army gun...one of the greatest toys the planet has seen
          I never had one of these But I've heard people say how amazing they were.

not a gun, but what about catapults too..usually made from a Y-shaped twig, but I remember having a beaut of a steel one, with a leather missile-holder (acorns were the best missile IMHO )
          I recall boys making catapults at school from twigs found under the trees at the side of the playground. They were always swiftly confiscated!

Comment

I had a 4 in 1 gun which fired spuds, water , caps and corks....a metal effort...does anyone remember them?

And i also had "the professionals" gun...a replica from the series, had CI5 on the handle...and flick a lever and the magazine would drop out of the bottom of the handle...thats where the roll of caps would go.

I was always Bodie

Comment

Spudmatic
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Heather74; 20-06-2009, 00:51. Reason: adding picture
              Heather

Comment

When I made my list, I had no idea there were toy guns that were made to include all the projectiles!

Thanks so much for the posts!

Comment

One of my favourites was a snub revolver that took the plastic circle of caps. At least it was until the 4 inch Colt Python lookalike that took .22 blanks.
                  Had the Star Wars ones, but they never sounded right.
                  Then there was my biggest cap gun - made to look like a bolt action rifle. Convinced it was released as an Action Man item, but can't find anything on it.
                  And then the greatest electronic toy ever released, Thomas Salter's Space Command Belt. Also had a space gun that I recently discovered was built by Daisy - makers of the famous Red Ryder BB rifles.

Comment

A range of toy guns in my youth.
                    Earliest I remember were western revolvers that took roll-caps.
                    (ring caps came much later, were rare, and considered expensive per "bang")

Yes, the "spudmatic" multiammo,
                    and the well-known Sekiden BB gun.
                    A Bazooka firing ping-pong balls (Marx? Ideal?)
                    But, most prized and realistic, the Airfix FN rifle.
                    On left, with other memorable toys:
                    http://pws.prserv.net/gbinet.dbjames/tg1975t.jpg
                    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Originally posted by Emettman View Post
                      A range of toy guns in my youth.
                      Earliest I remember were western revolvers that took roll-caps.
                      (ring caps came much later, were rare, and considered expensive per "bang")

Yes, the "spudmatic" multiammo,
                      and the well-known Sekiden BB gun.
                      A Bazooka firing ping-pong balls (Marx? Ideal?)
                      But, most prized and realistic, the Airfix FN rifle.
                      On left, with other memorable toys:
                      http://pws.prserv.net/gbinet.dbjames/tg1975t.jpg

there was of course an Airfix 'Tommy gun' as well...

now let me see, from that picture I have: the Colditz glider, the Hanky Panky Magic Set, the Diving Submarine, the Junior Driver, the Flight Deck (need a replacement really..mine's a bit battered), and a carded set of spare ammo for the FN rifle (but not the actual gun itself..still looking:cry
                      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post

Spudmatic
                        Woooo Huggie, thanks for the pic

Comment

I remember those cap rockets. I had some plastic ones, not metal. They'd got a bit warped eventually from the bashing they got being chucked up high in the air and left to come down hard I see they have already been posted here: https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...ap-rocket.html

I used to have a black pistol of some sort - maybe a colt - which fired little white plastic bullets. My mum chucked it out when there was a big fuss in the media about plastic bullets. Daft woman.

I had two of these, but now only have the one still attached to the comic.

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post

never get tired of posting a pic of one of my fav toys:

although this comes close...

sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Totally amazing pics!!

Comment

Working...
                              X