PDA

View Full Version : Christmas past!

nessie
15-11-2009, 21:05
Its that time of year again when i start thinking about christmas (there ive said "the" word!)

So obv i go to ebay for ideas and i saw these decorations which reminded me of the 80s christmas's i had. We had old decorations which time and taste had forgotten!

Cant believe i got rid of all of them when i started working :confused:, so many memories!

Well here are some photos that might take you back to christmas's of the past!

nessie
15-11-2009, 21:06
lot 2

kazboot
16-11-2009, 14:55
https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/attachments/miscellaneous-memories/2367d1258315576-christmas-past-honey.jpg (https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/attachments/miscellaneous-memories/2367d1258315576-christmas-past-honey.jpg)
The main thing I remember from a 70s Xmas is the paper decorations that folded out like the tree in the pic here and also making paper chains to hang on the ceiling every year. Great! :)

ann22
23-11-2009, 19:37
I remember the satin balls and the paper ones...the paper chains that my mam used to hang across the ceiling:)..and the wee trees that you'd open up. I remember we had to make decorations for school for homework one Christmas. I cut out the roundy bits from egg cartons and covered them with tin foil to make little bells:o.

mazzer
23-11-2009, 20:46
Paper chains at school with "lanterns" fashioned from a square of Gloy gummed paper -you folded it in half, made cuts along the folded edge, unfolded it again and stuck it round into a cylinder - the folded cut edge stuck out in the middle with 'slats'. A little strip of gummed paper stuck across the top for a handle!

Tinsel! Loads of it!

Egg carton "cups" painted, filled with Das, with little candles and sprigs of plastic holly stuck in.

Fake "snow" sprayed onto the window, either in"drfts" in the corner of each pane, or stencilled angel shapes.

Richard1978
23-11-2009, 21:11
Fake "snow" sprayed onto the window, either in"drfts" in the corner of each pane, or stencilled angel shapes.

My Mum got some spray like that & used it on all the windows. After she found how hard it was to get off she never used it again.

AmethystWitch
20-08-2010, 21:37
I remember my parents hanging little 'presents' on the tree, basically little cubes of polystyrene (can't spell it lol) just wrapped up pretty and I used to open them all!! lol just incase they were little presents, well you never know! lol :D
We also had little cardboard angels, that were quite detailed, wearing white and gold robes, really pretty :)

FLYING SAUCER
20-08-2010, 22:19
So nice to see all those decorations! That has really conjured up the childish excitement I used to feel, lovely!

Somewhere (yes somewhere! when I can find where I have put it!) I have a large roll of genuine 1970s christmas paper! Many different designs,cheap quality, basic printing (not your glossy posh stuff No!) The sort you could see through if you looked hard enough! And remember the rustly crackle of it on Christmas morning?

I will dig it out and photo some of them if possible.

Trickyvee
21-08-2010, 06:29
At school I remember making paper chains and a little Santa out of a toilet roll tube which hung around under the Christmas tree for years (my friend who works at a primary school says toilet roll tubes are now banned because of health and safety!!!:eek:).

I always wanted my parents to put lights and snow around the windows but they never did. My electrician dad was always bleating on about lights setting the curtains ablaze. On the up side we had about 4 sets of different shaped lights all connected to one plug on the tree :).

I used to love the days when Christmas trees were a mish mash of obscure multicoloured baubles and lights. Mine still is. I inherited mam's ancient decorations when she decided to go posh years ago and have tastefully decorated trees. I always get loads of happy memories from my childhood Christmases when I get those baubles out.

RetroAEROSMITH
21-08-2010, 09:14
Yeah i still have some of those baubles in pics no1 and 4 hanging around too... there were numerous christmas decorations that we used to have that arent popular anymore..have we become such snobs?
These days people ignore decorations unless theyre fibre optic or move but the simple things like those christmas tree chain decorations that spelled out "merry christmas" are the most charming things I remember. card holders in the shape of rudolph and reindeers, santa boot with white cotton wool fur at the top containing sweets/toffees and my fave of all..those chains that used to go from each corner to the centre of the room then youd put 4 hanging decorations in the gaps created.

branny
21-08-2010, 23:41
I used to love the fold out paper decorations. I'm sure my mum must still have some, she never throws anything away. Another memory is the cadbury chocs that you used to hang on the tree. They always had a kind of bell shape.

Marine Boy
21-08-2010, 23:43
Hey, I recall the chocolate bell shapes! I think we had angel shapes too; not to mention the chocolate money in little net bags.

Jacqueline
22-08-2010, 08:16
Oh yes the big, flat, thick Cadburys chocolate bell Christmas decorations! My dad used to hide them in his inside pockets and pretend he'd forgotten to bring them but us kids always knew he wouldn't let us down! They WERE bigger and thicker back then weren't they?

FLYING SAUCER
22-08-2010, 11:43
Snobs! you are right, some folk just want to be as impressive and lavish as they can dont they? It's not Christmas it seems to be a crass vulgarity show for some?

I remember going to J. C. Smiths (now Debenhams) when I wa 4 or 5 and having a "Cracker Tea" sandwiches a jelly and bottle of pop called Zing and a cracker, pink of blue crepe paper with a silver embossed santa and silver cuffs on the ends of the cracker! I loved it! They had the best Santas Grotto too! Part of the storerooms upstairs all hung with black cloth and lit with blue red and green subdued lighting, even had little fountains and running water to give the real grotto effect. Each year it had a theme, and at the end was Santa! Great Christmases simpler times.

Richard1978
22-08-2010, 15:00
I made a bit list of things I remember from past Xmases here:

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/threads/7865-Xmas-When-You-Were-Growing-Up

zip55
23-08-2010, 00:32
Unfortunately I am old enough to remember real candles on our Xmas tree, before fairy lights came in ...

Grosh62
15-09-2010, 23:46
WOooooh!

Grosh62
15-09-2010, 23:50
Christmas in 1970s Dewsbury W.Yorks before the bad press was great. Santa came round the villages on a low back truck to collect letters from the kids. He went back to his Grotto in J&Bs department store and gave out Matchbox cars just for telling him what you wanted for Christmas. life was so simple then.

Megawitch
11-10-2010, 13:40
Unfortunately I am old enough to remember real candles on our Xmas tree, before fairy lights came in ...

Me too! A H & S no no nowadays!

As a child we had a big box of tree decorations that was kept all year on top of the wardrobe in Mum & Dad's room. The baubles were all glass then and very fragile. one of our favourites was a clear glass ball with a panda painted on it. My sister once went to get something from the wardrobe and pulled it over onto herself. Many of the baubles got broken in the fall but luckily not Panda. I don't know what eventually happened to him as we all grew up and left home.

RetroAEROSMITH
11-10-2010, 15:32
One of my faves was a wind up church/chapel that played "the first noel" i think...and if you looked through the window which i had broken you could see the mechanics that created the music...it was one of those rollers that had spikes on at intervals that struck on the relevant strand of metal and created the tune...it was amazing to me, not sure where it went though. When i sit down and think of all the things id cherish if i still had them these days compared to when i did have them and thought they were tat i could scream. These days things are so disposable, year after year I/we replace decorations that have nothing wrong with them for newer ones just because "this year i want a black tree with all red decorations"..its crazy.

tulip
12-10-2010, 14:06
I can confirm that toilet roll tubes are now banned which I think is a piece of nonsense.We have to use a cut down kitchen roll tube,which is not the same,I admit to using a toilet roll tube from time to time.We used to make a snowman from a toilet roll tube,ping pong ball and wait for it......yet another thing that is banned.A meat tray!!!!!!!!He was lovely,did that with gran.I remember all the glass balls too that cracked in your hand and we had a white christmas tree,which I posted here somewhere before.

tulip

Austin Maxi
01-12-2010, 12:50
Probably the most memorable Christmases for me were from the early '80s. I recall the crepe paper-type paper chains which came rolled up in several joined-up colours and you had to unroll them and twist them round a few times to create the pattern before hanging them up on the ceiling - hard to describe them accurately, but if you find a 1970s or '80s Giles cartoon with a scene of the Giles family at home at Christmas, there's usually a few of those decorations depicted. Our tree was always a fake one, no need to hoover up pine needles when the decs came down, and it had a decorative gold star on top, and plenty of tinsel, baubles and lights on it (as most did).

Back then the Christmas TV consisted of stuff like Roland Rat Christmas specials in the morning, and The Two Ronnies or a repeated Morecambe & Wise from the '70s later in the day. Usually there was an early 'Only Fools And Horses' Christmas special on as well.

I remember getting a large yellow plastic sledge as one of my presents one year, which was handy because it snowed later that winter and I was able to put it to good use on the paths which ran from the top of the close I lived in down to an underpass which lead to the back of the junior school I went to until '83.

stockportyears
01-12-2010, 16:12
Back then the Christmas TV consisted of stuff like Roland Rat Christmas specials in the morning, and The Two Ronnies or a repeated Morecambe & Wise from the '70s later in the day. Usually there was an early 'Only Fools And Horses' Christmas special on as well.

I was a huge Two Ronnies fan growing up, particularly Barker, and watched anything they were on, even in the middle of Christmas Day. Strangely enough, although I love them now, through tv repeats and You Tube vids of sketches, I didn't really appreciate Eric and Ernie at the time, I kind of thought they were more for my mum, who didn't like the Ronnies but loved Morecambe and Wise - it was a bit of a generational thing.

Only Fools and Horses at that time appealed to everybody. 'To Hull and Back' was one of the funniest tv specials ever, that was when the show really peaked. I think they should have given up sooner than they did to be honest, the last two or three 'specials' really weren't up to much, and even when the show went to an hour in about 88-89, although there were some hilarious moments, like the blow-up dolls and the 'Groovy Gang' episodes, at times I think they were more interested in telling us a story about Del and Rodney's love lives than making us laugh.

darren
01-12-2010, 16:49
I can confirm that toilet roll tubes are now banned which I think is a piece of nonsense.We have to use a cut down kitchen roll tube,which is not the same,I admit to using a toilet roll tube from time to time.We used to make a snowman from a toilet roll tube,ping pong ball and wait for it......yet another thing that is banned.A meat tray!!!!!!!!He was lovely,did that with gran.I remember all the glass balls too that cracked in your hand and we had a white christmas tree,which I posted here somewhere before.

tulip

what is wrong that toilet roll tubes are banned.

a kitchen roll tube is not the same.

stuckinthe80's
01-12-2010, 17:59
Toilet roll tubes are a bit unhygienic for kids to be playing about with I would think.

stockportyears
01-12-2010, 18:15
Toilet roll tubes are a bit unhygienic for kids to be playing about with I would think.

In third year infants, our teacher gave us her old cigarette packets to make things out of!

stuckinthe80's
01-12-2010, 18:22
In third year infants, our teacher gave us her old cigarette packets to make things out of!
LOL!! Thats brilliant!!

smiles7964
14-03-2012, 19:27
RetroAEROSMITH, my parents still have that church! Only ours played silent night, and it lit up. Don't think it does anymore. They still have loads of old xmas decs that come out every year! From before the 70's even! I'll try and take some pix this year to post! : )

darren
15-03-2012, 02:59
cant the see rhe problem inusing using loo roll tubes..
cant believe they got banned.
yes i also made a snowman from a toilet roll tube.

tulip

bakermuk
17-11-2012, 20:35
We had three "Father Christmases" - small (about 3 inches tall) little rotund figures that always sat on the mantlepiece. There was a red, white and green one. Each held a tiny sprig of tree in a hand - which was actually coloured pipe cleaner.....!!I wonder what heppened to them!

xmark1234
18-11-2012, 10:27
best christmas past got be the crackers the toys inside but we loved them how cheapy do they look now i have a bag which i saved in loft i was up there a bit ago hideing the kids prezzys lol and came across them looking at wha they get now in crackers is great i got a torch last year and still use it lol

battyrat
18-11-2012, 14:47
Today christmas appears to be all bling and people trying to outdo everybody else with their outside lights.When I was little(toddler) in the late 60's early 70's the only sparkly thing was a piece of tinsel or the baubals.Everything else was paper and card.paper hangings and fold out paper and card bells and balls hung from the ceiling.The amount of home made decorations possibly equalled the amount of shop purchased ones.One of our neighbours used to spend a lot of the year making craft items which were seasonal.We brought from her at a local craft fair some little dolls she had made with off cut felts and a baubal for the head.They were very nice looking tree decorations and lasted for years.Mum always used to make the christmas cakes each year and as a kid we used to love to help decorate them.Then she used to make the christmas puddings and a good stir was always needed.I suppose it was a bit cheaper then to make your own,thesedays it cheaper to buy a pud for a single pound.
Our primary school used to do the annual play,then some local farmer would come forward with a tractor and trailor which was decorated with straw bales and other seasonal things and the play members would then be taken around the estate singing carols.We used to have a santa coming around the streets in an open top wagon or van each year throwing sweets out to us kids.Always remember the fights between the kids as other tried to get the sweets from the unlucky few that managed to grab them.Red hard boiled sweets too if I remember right.Not very nice at all.The main thing that strikes me is that compared to when I was a kid christmas seems to start far too early these days.I never really knew it was christmas till about a week before hand,now we hear about it constantly from the start of November.
Several memories come back each year,one was waiting for the postman to bring letters and cards and sitting by the door.The stamps if I remember right were the old 4d and 5d chrismas stamps from 1970,and later the first(3p) and second(2 half p) post stamps from 1971 and 1972.Family members dropping around on christmas eve and nans new year christmas partys every year.Nearly all of those people are long gone now or moved well away.Christmas brings back memories of them and freinds and family that are no longer around to share it with.Not being able to sleep on christmas eve was another memory and being awake too early for my parants on christmas day.

80sChav
19-11-2012, 21:42
I still adore and love Xmas like I always have done, but not in the same way (but still to a certain degree) as it's too much about Money etc now I think and too much is made of it of it before October. Though I recall many happy memories of watching Cartoons on Xmas day as i'd got up as Kids too and the Afternoon's always used to be Special just like the Xmas Meal but I guess it is as you get older and family passes's away - which if it ever occur's i've no family ... i'll just up-root to a hotel instead for Xmas.

I guess thing's never will be the same - more so as an Adult thinking back to a being a Kid at Xmas, but sure those memories of Xmas for say my first 17/20 years are so special as are other's in differing way's too as well (in some instances - visiting ailing relatives in Hospital sometimes too). Though i'm glad i've got the memories though I doubt they'll ever occur as so again.

80sChav

darren
20-11-2012, 01:04
must agree its too much about money now mate.ad yes i think the whole christmas thing starts way to early lke october dont get it.

sad to hear u have no family mate.

but yes i still enjoy it but not as much due to 2 things getting older and the money side of christmas.

nothing beat watching all those christmassy shows on christmas day.
programmes are not as good on that day have not been for more than 10 yrs i have really noticed it.

but nothing beat my first 15 christmas days.
the excitement of christmas eve night not being able to sleep.

I still adore and love Xmas like I always have done, but not in the same way (but still to a certain degree) as it's too much about Money etc now I think and too much is made of it of it before October. Though I recall many happy memories of watching Cartoons on Xmas day as i'd got up as Kids too and the Afternoon's always used to be Special just like the Xmas Meal but I guess it is as you get older and family passes's away - which if it ever occur's i've no family ... i'll just up-root to a hotel instead for Xmas.

I guess thing's never will be the same - more so as an Adult thinking back to a being a Kid at Xmas, but sure those memories of Xmas for say my first 17/20 years are so special as are other's in differing way's too as well (in some instances - visiting ailing relatives in Hospital sometimes too). Though i'm glad i've got the memories though I doubt they'll ever occur as so again.

80sChav

bakermuk
10-12-2012, 21:36
In 1998 I sat down with my Nan, and tape recorder running, I recorded her memories, as a young girl in the 1900s thru the two world wars to 1945. She talked of Christmas's way back.....1914 ish. She told me of her and her siblings receiving an orange, maybe some nuts in their stockings, and maybe, if they were fortunate, a comic. Mainstream toys werent often received. She talked of church on Christmas Eve and Day (except for my Great Grandad who refused to go!). She talked of having a tree, mince pies and thrupenny bit puddings...though she always suspected the pudding was never cooked with them in, her Mother pushed them in after! She talked of making the decorations from paper and the excitement that went thru the house on Christmas Eve. I have made 1/4 of those tapes into video representations and will donate her tapes to the Suffolk archive when I leave this earth. Treasured memories - and she will always hopefully be heard and remembered by people.