X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The books I remember

Are:
    The Peter and Jane books.

'Peter likes Jane and Pat the dog. Jane likes Peter and Pat the dog' lol.

Ferdinand the Bull was excellent.

Wilkins Tooth. Can't remember much about that except it was a Puffin book. We used to be able to order Puffin books from school. We were given a leaflet that showed all the books. The excitement when the new books came was amazing lol.

Beryl the Peril Annual.

Blue Peter Annual.

I still have some of my old books somewhere, I'll have to find them and have a read!

Lynn

Re: The books I remember

I remember Peter, Jane and Pat the the big red setter dog. One of my earliest memories is being left alone with a Peter and Jane book and a red pen. I would colour in all the lips. I can remember my mam leaving me alone..telling me that when the big hand would be at the 6 and the small hand at the 12 on the clock, it was time for 'Romper Room', Maybe my dad was in bed...surely I wasn't alone my little feet barely reached the edge of the sofa.

Comment

I too remember Peter and Jane. But the books that made the biggest impression on me from early teenage years, and that I avidly collected, were the 'Target' novelisations of Doctor Who stories. I was so excited by each new release.

Comment

Currently reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to my 6 year old having read the 'Wishing Chair' and 'Far Away' Tree already. Mr Galliano's circus was a real pleasure to reread.

When I was a kid I picked up a copy of Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators. Just loved that book so much that I went on to buy almost the complete series. Today I have them displayed at home and my children read them. I just looking for the 2 missing titles but am really lucky in that there is a first rate 2nd hand book shop close to me. Only a matter of time until I complete the series.

Also collected the Tomorrow People, Professionals, and a series called 'Key Hole Crime'.

Comment

I remember reading lots of the Dr Who books in the early 1990s before I could afford to buy them on video & had no access to UK Gold.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

the book i most remember is the BFG.

must have read tat book tons of times over the yrs.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I recall the Peter & Jane Ladybird books very well. In the older ones, with illustrations from the '60s, the family car was a two-tone Ford Consul, but in the '70s ones I remember they owned an orange Austin Maxi. I recently bought a few new ones on the strength that they still had the same illustrations from the '70s (painted by Martin Aitcheson), and therefore stirred up the nostalgia.

Of course there was also 'Stig Of The Dump' by Clive King - my version had the yellowy cover with photos from the 1981 TV series on it.
              "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I wasn't into books at all as a child. Roald Dahl turned things around for me. Our teacher read us James and the Giant Peach and after that I was hooked. I love books now!
                1976 Vintage

Comment

I really liked Roald Dahl's books a lot, I read most of them & several were adapted for Jackanory.

Rik Mayall's rendition of George's Marvelous Medicine is forever burnt into my mind.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Then there were the (penguin?) paperback joke books - 'Crack-a-joke' and 'The End' ('even worse than 'Crack-a-joke'). To be honest, they were both pretty naff, but for children they were O.K. and prepared you for the much taller series '1001 Jokes For Kids', 'Oh No! Another 1001 Jokes For Kids', etc. etc.
                    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I remember the book club events at school where you could order books at a special price.
                      sigpic

Comment

The books I remember reading as a child were "The Bobsey Twins" several books with different adventures. The two sets of Bobsey twins aged about 9 and 12. Enid Blyton's "Famous Five" and "The Secret Seven" They went camping, cycling trips etc. I also read "Swallows and Amazons" then "What Katy did" and "What Katy did next", and "Little Women" of course.

At primary school we had a teacher who read to us for the last half hour on a friday. Our favourite stories were from Enid Blyton's Enchanted Wood and the Faraway Tree. I have a copy now to read to my grandsons.
                        The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

Working...
                        X