Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
    Too long ago. I would hazard a guess that it was probably an employee of the prison.
    The mind boggles as to who it could have been - as prison security is as tight as a sardine can, it must have been some "in house" member of staff.

I used to attend a group at the Nottingham City Hospital in the mid 1980s, and I know (in recent years anyway) that the Father Christmas in the children's department was actually one of the doctors! To think that someone has studied several years in medicine at medical school to become Father Christmas at the end of the year makes you wonder!
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
      Christmas has definitely changed for me since having my own family, plus being in a different country where Christmas is in the middle of summer (which is hot) takes some getting used to. It never feels as "christmassy" here to me as it did back home.
      As you are in Australia, I was wondering at the moment whether the bushfires are affecting you where you are? I believe that it is affecting the postal service over there because I usually get a Christmas card from someone who lives in Victoria and it hasn't arrived if he has received - I know that it's not exactly down the road from Great Britain, but I usually get one from him by now and I believe that the bushfires are the result of the delay.

A case of "I'm dreaming of a hot Christmas" methinks.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
        Well I certainly wouldn't have been getting up this early on Christmas Eve to go shopping in the supermarket by 6am.I mean we used to look forward to some nice luxuries at xmas a fresh Turkey from the market box chocolates shell nuts etc, not same anymore queues in shops traffic jams customers moaning 45 mins queuing at the checkouts,swearing in front of children in Hamleys toy store in London because a woman couldn't be bothered to wait in line for a lift to the upper floors absolutely disgrace had my rant of day really looking forward to venturing out
        I did my lot on Saturday as I mentioned before, while I got the stuff that I either forgot or wasn't available yesterday.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

It took me an hour to go round Morrisons more or less straight through at the checkouts no queuing.Lots of empty shelves staff were re stocking a few things I didn't get.No goose fat roast potatoes,no jelly shots,no wax cheeses,no Turkey gravy,no Turkey foil.Called in Home Bargains on the way back lots of empty shelves,no toiletries gift sets,no Turkey foil.You would swear that there is a food shortage,no sprouts in Asda on the Welsh news

Comment

Tried to have a glass of sherry at midnight, but couldn't open the damn bottle. I'll see if the relatives can open it on Boxing Day.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              Tried to have a glass of sherry at midnight, but couldn't open the damn bottle. I'll see if the relatives can open it on Boxing Day.
              How frustrating I can remember when some bottles of wine were ruined in the past because you couldn't get the cork out lol

Comment

Originally posted by Danniella View Post
                I'm the opposite, my late father had 15 siblings, so i have tons of cousins and second cousins, there's loads I've never met and probably never will.
                Growing up I was never that close with my uncles, aunts and cousins. But now I have a large sort of surrogate family whom I spend holidays with and their family gathetings are quite lively.

Comment

I was close to my uncle. He take me to see Chelsea FC in the mid 70s and even took me to see the bond films in the mid 70s event hough they were rated AA

Comment

Have you tried the trick with a match/lighter? My friend once did it and it works!

Comment

Have you tried the trick with a match/lighter? My friend once did it and it works!
                      Health and safety would not permit it.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I finally received a Christmas card from a friend of mine in today's post - 7th January when I have taken all the cards down yesterday!

I know that today happens to be the Orthodox Christmas Day but that is probably just a coincidence!
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I finally received a Christmas card from a friend of mine in today's post - 7th January when I have taken all the cards down yesterday!

I know that today happens to be the Orthodox Christmas Day but that is probably just a coincidence!
                          Send the card back! Only joking. :-)

Comment

Send the card back! Only joking. :-)
                            I could think of it as being early for next Christmas... just like those hamper adverts on the TV...
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                              Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

How frustrating I can remember when some bottles of wine were ruined in the past because you couldn't get the cork out lol
                              I will not buy Croft Original again as a result - I am going back to Harvey's Bristol Cream instead.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Everything that has been said previously in this fine thread and...the Christmas party at primary school and seeing that pretty girl you had a crush on in a party dress.

Comment

Working...
                                X