Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your first library book to read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your first library book to read?

What was the first book you read from the library?

I can remember going on my first visit to the library with my mother. I was about six years old. I had been taught to read long before going to the infants school, so by then I was quite comfortable reading.

The bit that I don't recollect but it was recounted many times by my mother in later years. When the woman stood at the library counter gave my mother a "joining card" to fill in. Mother passed the card to me and I quickly filled it in and passed it back - to the surprise of the librarian.

This was a time when you had a small cardboard folders that were kept in a long thin filing drawer. The card had your name and other details on it. When you chose a book, there was a small book stub in a similar cardboard folder inside the front cover. The stub was removed and placed in the folder with your name on which was then carefully filed away. The book was then date stamped on a flyleaf for when it should be returned.

What I do remember was walking around the library, selecting three books and returning to the counter. The librarian said "You may only choose one book on your first visit." I looked through the three books and decided which one I would take. Then the librarian said "You can only choose books that are located in the children's section." I had chosen my books from the adult section of the lending library.

So, I looked around the children's section. It was in a small side room. There was a fenced off section with small bookshelves. At the time, there was nothing I could find, that I wanted to read. I remember thinking that the books were far to young for me. So mother used one of her library tickets to get the adult book for me. Now the strange thing is - I can't remember what the book was or what it was about. I remember some of what took place at the time. But what I do remember was my older sister took out a book about horses called "Red Conker".

Why after all these years do I remember her book and not the book that I had chosen - a strange quirk of the memory cells. But I also remember reading "Red Conker" before it was returned.

A few weeks later, I went with mother to see the chief librarian. He was sat in an oak panelled office with a huge desk. I was there because mother had requested that I be given access to the adult section of the library. He asked me to read a passage from a book. Then he asked me a few questions about what I had just read. We all went down to the main desk where my "blue" children's ticket was exchanged for three "olive" adult tickets. The strongest recollection that I have of the chief librarians office was the smell of books and leather. It's funny how you can have memories that include smells!

There were also pay-to-read libraries at that time called The Red Circle Library, do you remember them?

Amongst my favourite boys books were the Richmal Crompton Just William series (written by a woman) and Arthur Ransomes, Peter Duck, Coot Club as well as Swallows and Amazons.

I have been messing about in boats ever since.

Regards

Captain Mick

sigpic

Re: What was your first library book to read?

This was a time when you had a small cardboard folders that were kept in a long thin filing drawer. The card had your name and other details on it. When you chose a book, there was a small book stub in a similar cardboard folder inside the front cover. The stub was removed and placed in the folder with your name on which was then carefully filed away. The book was then date stamped on a flyleaf for when it should be returned.

can sure remember what you said above.

Cant remember what the first library book i read was.

good chance it would have been a roald dahl book though.
    i was a regular to my local library and got books out regular.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I don't remember the first book I ever got but i regularly took out the 'what a mess' books by Frank Muir.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        I don't remember the first book I ever got but i regularly took out the 'what a mess' books by Frank Muir.
        Do you remember he used to have a small bird that looked like Woodstock from Charlie Brown and Peanuts nestling atop his head?

I also don't remember my first library book read, but used to read lots of nice books at Primary School - The Big Hungry Caterpillar, Elmer The Patchwork Elephant, The Giant Turnip to name a few...also Meg, Mog and Owl stories, Mog The Cat books - I was particularly moved when I chanced upon the very last story, Goodbye Mog in Waterstones...really bought a tear to the eyes...

I do remember when I was about 6 there were books for schools that had colour coded strips down the spine, front and back covers denoting difficulty of reading levels - gold being the most senior books - can't remember the name of the series but they were used in my school at that time to teach reading...the stories were nice too...

My Dad bought me one of my all time favourites from America when he went over there when I was little - Alonzo Purr The Seagoing Cat - I think if I ever get a cat as a pet - has to be a Scottish Fold as they look like him - I'd call him Alonzo Purr...loved that book. Wish I still had it. I also remember him bringing me at the same time from the USA 'Scuffy The Tugboat', another wonderfully rare book....loved it too.

Comment

Mine was that series with the Witch and her cat. I'm thinking it may be called Meg and Mog, but I seriously have no idea if my mind made that up. I was about 4 or 5 when I could basic read.

I read all the Roald Dahl books from the library, and the Mrs Pepperpot books. I was about 7 when I started reading those. I was one of the first kids in my class to clear all the mandatory reading books and be allowed to read what I want.

It's weird that I read right up until I did my English A levels and then just stopped dead. I've looked at supposedly revolutionary books and though they didn't hold a candle to the old greats.

Comment

Einstein's Theory of relativity

Comment

It would have been one of the school reading scheme books so maybe 'Tom Dick and Jane, with Spot the dog. It definitely had Spot but the other names might be wrong. Would love to see some of those again.

We used to read the book with our teacher during the week and when finished we had to hand it back and wait for the next one to appear on the shelf outside the Head Teachers office. To a 5-6 year old it seemed strange that an adult took so long to put the next book on the shelf but after a few days of checking and feeling disappointment, to finally see the next book with your name written on a card which stuck out the top of the book was wonderful. I guess the teachers were smart and knew how to build anticipation

Comment

So long ago that I cannot remember.I used to go weekly to the library.I poped in a few months ago and it's not the same anymore.I suppose as I have got older the adult reading books are just not so fun to read.Still love reading childrens books especially in recent years the redwall series.Get some strange looks going into the kiddies section to look at those,and even stranger looks booking them out.

Comment

The first library book that I remember was Richthofen -- The Red Baron by Nicholas Fisk (1968),

Comment

my first book from the library was this
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	harry.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	260111

we have a few of the 'Harry' stories in the school library where I work

Comment

My mother took me to the library to get books before I could read, I was about 3 years old. She tells me that the first book I ever took out was one of the original 'Thomas the Tank Engine' stories. I remember I used to love listening to her read them to me and began reading before I started school in the early 70's. I thank her now for my love of books.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                        I also remember him bringing me at the same time from the USA 'Scuffy The Tugboat', another wonderfully rare book....loved it too.
                        Lots of Scuffy The Tugboat books on ebay. One of my first (school) library books was Black Tiger, about a horse. I loved that book and was really reluctant to give it back. Got it on ebay a while ago. The only books I remember getting from the local library were the Mrs Pepperpot series.

Comment

Topsy and tim -go swimming

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

I remember my first time in the library. It was a really old building with thick solid mahogany bannisters on the staircases. The adult library was downstairs and the kids and research libraries were upstairs. It's moved to a newer building now.

It was a rainy dull winter evening and the lights were on inside...I remember the musty smell and the silence. Think I could take two books but can only remember one on this occasion it was about some old lady and her strawberry patch. I progressed quite quickly to Bobby Brewster, Naughty Amelia Jane then later on the Five Find Outers. We already had lots of Enid Blyton at home as my older sister was an avid reader. On our early library visits she borrowed all the Nancy Drews and the What Katy Did books.

I remember the library van coming to our school. When I was in 3rd class our teacher picked a book each for us, much to my disappointment. She picked Brum for me think it was all about a girl and her dog. Despite my initial boredom I did enjoy it, there was quite an exciting bit in it where a tramp attacked the girl and the dog saved her.

Comment

Working...
                            X