This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A trip down memory lane

Underneath it read "made in England by Lesney" iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
      Who as a kid used to play on house demolition sites? Hard to imagine these days but it was always a real adventure for me as a young lad going into the old terraced houses which had been evacuated and earmarked for demolition. During the 60s Manchester and inparticular Salford had a massive regeneration programme as i expect many cities did, we would go exploring these old buildings and invariably we would go home covered in plaster dust and paint....great times indeed!
      I recall me and a couple of mates also exploring an old abandoned boarded up house in our home town. We were probably breaking and entering but that never entered our heads. It was a huge two storey place with expansive rooms all covered in dust and cobwebs. We explored every room hoping to find something.. like hidden treasure or money. Fat chance. All we found were an old shoe and some cracked plates. We spent many hours in there. We even made it our secret meeting place until one day the wreckers moved in. We were devastated.

Comment

Morning DYRers.

Comment

I remember as a teenager finding an abandoned mail van on a piece of wasteland near my school, i approached it cautiously and as i got closer i could see thousands of letters spilling from post bags at the rear doors, i allerted a passer buy who called the police, turned out the van had been stolen just half an hour earlier, the thieves obviously expected to find more than birthday cards and gas bills.Alas i got a pat on the back but no reward.
          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
            I recall me and a couple of mates also exploring an old abandoned boarded up house in our home town. We were probably breaking and entering but that never entered our heads. It was a huge two storey place with expansive rooms all covered in dust and cobwebs. We explored every room hoping to find something.. like hidden treasure or money. Fat chance. All we found were an old shoe and some cracked plates. We spent many hours in there. We even made it our secret meeting place until one day the wreckers moved in. We were devastated.

There were terraced houses near us dating from the early 20th century that were demolished around 1976. After everyone had moved out, I would wander from house to house prior to demolition work starting. My mother had lived in one house and another was the house of friends of my parents. It seemed so strange standing inside houses that were so familiar and held so many happy memories, yet were then so eerily quiet and empty.

Comment

If anyone wants any memory's of me growing up in Cambs then feel free to ask away but I don't feel I'm old enough to add anything of value.
              Always ready for chat.

Comment

It is unfortunate if you are say under 30 as this forum prioritises the 70-90s era. Tho you do scrape into the 90s. Feel free to post anything you wish about your growing up years. There may well be members of a similar age to you that can relate to that time.

Comment

What was your first car? Mine was a Minnie Minor. Blue it was and it was about 15 years old. I could not afford a new one as I worked in a photographic studio in a junior position on a pretty crappy wage. My first few lessons were private then I went to a driving school and passed my test first time. I was kinda proud of that. Some time later while still on my Ps I went for a ride around the streets near my house. We happened to live on a very long, steep road.. this was so steep it was more like a mountain to be truthful. I had pulled out of my parking position and onto the steep road when my brakes failed. in a heartbeat I gained break neck speed.. too fast for my hand brake to stop me. Immediately my life flashed before me. This is it Craig. Gone before you have lived. It was nothing short of a miracle how I survived my ordeal. On my dizzing trip down the mountain I passed thru three sets of red lites. (Below is a section of the same street)
                  Last edited by Donald the Great; 07-09-2018, 09:06.

Comment

It is unfortunate if you are say under 30 as this forum prioritises the 70-90s era. Tho you do scrape into the 90s. Feel free to post anything you wish about your growing up years. There may well be members of a similar age to you that can relate to that time.
                    Indeed - it may spark a "Then And Now" debate!
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

• Re: A trip down memory lane

What was your first car? Mine was a Minnie Minor. Blue it was and it was about 15 years old. I could not afford a new one as I worked in a photographic studio in a junior position on a pretty crappy wage. My first few lessons were private then I went to a driving school and passed my test first time. I was kinda proud of that. Some time later while still on my Ps I went for a ride around the streets near my house. We happened to live on a very long, steep road.. this was so steep it was more like a mountain to be truthful. I had pulled out of my parking position and onto the steep road when my brakes failed. in a heartbeat I gained break neck speed.. too fast for my hand brake to stop me. Immediately my life flashed before me. This is it Craig. Gone before you have lived. It was nothing short of a miracle how I survived my ordeal. On my dizzing trip down the mountain I passed thru three sets of red lites. (Below is a section of the same street)
                      How did you stop? did you have to crash it?.....sounds terrifying!

Comment

1977 my dad taught me to drive in his Morris minor, i passed my test in the same car and as a gift my dad gave me the car, wish i still had it. I sold it for £150

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                          How did you stop? did you have to crash it?.....sounds terrifying!
                          It was mate.. very terrifying. At the base of the steep road is a beach (you can just make out part of the sand in the pic. Incidently I was coming from the opposite end to the pic) Anyway as I reached flat ground my car slowed just sufficiently to drive it up onto a medium strip and the thick undergrowth slowed me. I know it sounds incredulous.. but I swear this is what happened. Without a word of lie. I received devine intervention that day. I was saved for a higher purpose. Am still waiting to find out what that purpose is. It will not surprise you to know that I never sat behind the wheel of a car for six months after that.

Comment

tex this will give you a clear idea of the steepness of the street.

Comment

Jeez, thats one gradient, scary stuff that would put anybody off driving a while.The dog looks like he had enough!

Comment

We actually called Arden Street, where I lived for 20 years of my life the ''Alps of Coogee".

Comment

Working...
                                X