what did we do on a sunday evenings as kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what did we do on a sunday evenings as kids

I look back with great fondness on my Sunday evenings as a kid.We would of had our sunday dinner at around 1.00pm and then we would visit my Nana and Grandad.Then once we got home if we had been well behaved then we were allowed to playout,until it was time to go in.Once we were in it would be bath time then we would have are Buttys for tea then we would all sit and watch T.V. until it was time for bed.
    If we were good we would be allowed to watch Tales of the unexpected before bed.

Many happy memories not a care in the world just School and playing with your mates,which is what life should be for our Kids........
    sigpic

Comment

hmmm, I remember getting dragged to church Sunday mornings (in an itchy jumper) with the reward of going to the sweet shop on the way home, Kojak chewing gum I used to get I think.
      The day would progress with the usual playing with toys and a Sunday Roast, then bath time and we'd watch the original Star Trek and the Muppet Show (which would have been quite a late night).

As I got older we didn't do the church thing anymore so Sunday was normally associated with soup for lunch while watching Happy Days followed by the Smurfs, which was later replaced by the Fabulous Funnies.

It's wierd really, they must have been composed of a lot more than that but those are the only things that spring to mind apart from trying to get the homework finished which you'd been putting off all week so you could get your homework diary signed.

Comment

Sunday as a kid for me usually consisted of:

Church - almost religiously
        Homework - worst part of the weekend
        Roast dinner - every week, without fail
        Playing out - only if homework was finished
        Taping top 40 - if sister wasn't hogging the tape player
        Bullseye - Sundays wern't Sundays without a bit of Bully
        Bath - cos mum made you
        Juliet Bravo - used to think it was a good show, don't anymore
        Bed - always thought it was too early so would read by the light from the lamp post outside my bedroom window.
        Last edited by SG1973; 05-06-2007, 08:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Grackle View Post
          Sunday night was my least favourite of the week. When I was very small, I hated the fact that my mum wasn't home for my bedtime (she went to church). From the age of about 12, I got dragged into the church routine myself, and I was always bored to tears, and resentful of spending the last few hours of my weekend doing something that didn't interest me - and on top of that I felt guilty that I didn't believe in what I was hearing, and guilty that I didn't like going...

There were also far too many Sundays spent frantically finishing homework by torchlight after I went to bed, because I hadn't done it earlier in the weekend.

That is so similar to how i spend my late infancy.My parents did not go to church themselves,but forced me to go on sunday mornings and afternoons.It was a thing called sunday school i had to attend,and i really did not like it,even though my cousins ran it.Always a last minute rush to do my homework on sunday nights,and always being to tired too finish the last book or two.Sunday nights were always bath night for me.

Comment

bath , any unfinished homework , plate of home cooked chips and Hart to Hart / Family Fortunes with Max Bygraves on the TV ( not by choice !! )
            You cant make a woman love you ... you just have to stalk her and hope for the best !!

Comment

I remember:
              the charts run down,
              Sunday tea - sandwiches, cakes, viscount biscuits etc,
              bath,
              and my all time Sunday night memory was the horrible feeling I had when those cartoon captions came up at the end of "That's Life" showing all the hilarious things they had talked about that week, as that would mean it was bed time and the end of the weekend and it was a school day tomorrow!!!!
              sigpic

Comment

I have vivid memories of Sunday nights in the first house that we lived in (age 0-12) but not so much after that. We didn't have a bathroom in the first house so it was bathtime in a blue plastic bath in front of the gas fire (my mum still has the bath). Bubbles courtesy of Matey and hair washed with ICI lorexane 3 (head lice prevention shampoo). TV was Sunday night at the Paladium and one of the "Doctor" series starring Robin Nedwell. My grandad lived 2 doors down ad would drop off supper (usually a home made potato pie with huge crust and large dollop of piccalilli).

The only Sunday night that really stood out from our 2nd house was World cup final night from 1982, Watched the final and it was followed by the first airing of Alien, which i was allowed to stay up and watch. I was 14 at the time.
                "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Memory number 1 - Sitting in the back of our family car, in a very sleepy state after a day out , with the evening coming in, and listening to The Mike Sammes Singers on BBC Radio 2 ? - This is a 1973'ish memory - lovely.

Memory number 2 - As said in previous posts, That's Life was on the TV and I remember being very worried about school the next day, not so lovely.

Comment

Wasn't keen on Sundays. We got dragged to church then Sunday school In the mornings. Afternoon we always walked up to grandad's and spent the afternoon there. Did have fun there - I used to play in his car, was told to put a brick behind both rear wheels to prevent it rolling down the drive way if the handbrake were to fail (eek), must have been 7 or 8 at the time. Also used to get 50p from my grandad for cleaning the inside of the car. Would go along to Spar or the corner shop for some sweets.

He used to have a big larder in the kitchen, with about 20 glass bottles of bon-accord juice. The drinks lorry used to come round and replace all the empty ones for him. I remember picking up a bottle with a drop left in it, thought I'd finish it and it turned out to be Brandy - yuk.

Sunday evenings were bath night and we'd watch Howard's way, open all hours, julliet bravo etc. Much prefered Saturday nights as my Mum would always get a pick 'n' mix from Woolies, to eat in the evening while watching all the great game shows and tv we used to get on sat nights.

Comment

Sunday chart rundown in the 70s was Tom Browne with an oh so posh voice - 'nember two in the chets'.
                      Other Sunday night favourites were Return of the Saint, also Hart to Hart, who could not love Max? ('it was moyder'). In the 80s yes, That's Life, followed by Bergerac. At some point in the 80s we must have switched from being an ITV house to a BBC house. The Bergerac theme brings me out in a cold sweat as there was always a French vocab test at school on Monday morning that I dreaded.

Comment

I spent most of sunday doing my homework ready for school and then watched "Sunday Night at the London Palladium" on ITV.
                        The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

Sunday teatime onwards really depressed me as a kid. Onedin Line on TV and No shops open...anywhere! It felt like the world went into suspended animation on Sunday....so different to theses days.

Comment

I remember watching Londons burning at 9 i hated that show but it was better than going to bed, it was very similar to Casualty at the begining it would show you some people and you knew then they were most probably going to have a Car crash or burn to death, Spitting Image used to be on at 10 as well that programme was very hit and miss.

Comment

i would have watched last of the summer wine they did my homework and got to see london's burning if i was good.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X