The 1972 Watershed: 50 Years of Daytime Television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1972 Watershed: 50 Years of Daytime Television

Now is the time to step into a Time Machine and go back exactly half a century. The Big Bang of daytime television occurred at the start of the third week of October back in 1972; all of a sudden, housewives, the retired, the disabled, under-fives and school refusers were given excuses to stay in and watch the box in the corner (or in the last case, another excuse not to go to school).

Watersheds don't just happen after 9.00 pm - they can happen during the day on television, and the autumn of 1972 was one of many examples during the decade which saw the landscape of British television reform from its pre-monochrome status to getting ready for the fourth channel (which had already existed back then, provided that one could pick up more than one ITV station, probably Anglia from Belmont if you lived east of Nottingham, or Yorkshire just two years later from the same transmitter).

You would have to wait until Thursday evening for Top of the Pops, but just imagine songs like Mouldy Old Dough at the top of the charts, deputised by 10CC's Donna. Gilbert O'Sullivan's Clair was entering the chart and Lindsey de Paul's Sugar Me leaving it.

I often regard Monday 16th October 1972 as a watershed of such an example, especially from a commercial television perspective. Although the bigger regions put out the odd film here and the odd lifestyle programme there, by mid-October, scheduling looked more "prominent and deliberate" in a uniform style and more programmes were being networked as a result, even if one or two regions still did not show them yet.

Having a look at the schedules from that precious day looked something like this: firstly, on BBC 1 (Colour), schools programmes at 9.38 am. Countdown (nothing to do with the letters and numbers game which started a decade later) was the first programme; followed by Merry Go Round at 10.00 am and USA 72 following that. A repeat of a Sunday morning educational programme Profit by Control; a programme about production planning, which was followed by in those pre-S4C days by some Welsh programming, let into some of the English transmitters for good behaviour.

After five minutes of news, we have the brand new "afternoon version of This Morning of the Seventies": Pebble Mill (I don't think that it was even called "Pebble Mill at One" back then until sometime later?), which was just as new as a lot of ITV's afternoon programmes, staring just two weeks beforehand, just after the 1972 Olympics had finished. Live from Birmingham in the now-long demolished Pebble Mill studios, the unmistakable tune of As You Please invited us to tune in for 30 minutes of entertainment and lifestyle, and Bob Langley.

Watch With Mother at 1.30 pm gave under-fives Along the River, and that was followed by the history series Look Stranger which ran for the best part of 20 years, mostly repeats. About Britain was ITV's answer to it which was also given an afternoon slot later on in the week - it was always Anglia for some reason...

The schools programmes return at 2.00 pm with Words and Pictures - now, I was familiar with the early to mid 1980s Vicky Ireland version which by 1983 was set in a library thanks to my Infant School, and we also saw it there on Mondays at 2.00 pm as well - a timeslot kept in tact right up until 1990. Yes, I watched how Magic Pencil drawn a small letter "b": top to bottom, up and round...

Words and Pictures was also another relatively new series, starting in 1970; the autumn 1972 episodes were part of a series called Sam on Boff's Island, with an almost "before he was famous" Tony Robinson in the title role, and Miriam Margoyles was involved as well. Michael Rosen was the scriptwriter for this series. Gabriel Woolf presented the previous series and Henry Woolf (any relation?) did the deed later on in the decade. Schools were rounded off by series on work experience and Mathematics up to 3.00 pm.

Moving to children's television, no CBBC in those days, but there was a repeat of Play School at 4.10 pm. the Magic Roundabout and Jackanory followed. Blue Peter saw Lesley Judd "recently" replace Valerie Singleton to work with Messeres Noakes and Purves on the show. And then a one-series wonder, The Long Chase which does sound like a Look and Read series - it was repeated in 1974 on Sunday teatimes.

Some News and some more Nationwide (which I believe 1972 was the first year that it was on Monday evenings and was not replaced by Graham Kerr). Transworld Top Team had Banbury v Halifax (that's the one in Nova Scotia, not West Yorkshire). Z Cars parked up for duty at 7.10 pm with noneother than Geoffrey Hayes himself (ironically on the same day as the first ever episode of Rainbow went out) playing a semi-regular police officer in the series. Of course, DC Dave Scatliff was no longer seen when Hayes got the Rainbow job.

Panorama has an interview with President Josip Broz Tito of Yugoslavia (passed away 1982), with Australian Gold Logie winning journalist Michael Charlton (who is still with us as of October 2022, aged 95) doing the honours. After the Nine O'clock News, a prison-themed Play For Today entitled A Life is for Ever (two words), about a man sentenced for murdering a policeman. A rather late scheduling for the first series of Mastermind, with Magnus Magnusson starting but not quite finishing his stint as quizmaster.

We can thank the controversial sitcom Casanova 73 in this equivalent slot the following year for Mastermind having more pre-watershed prominence and more success - Casanova was more of a Mary Whitehouse complaint vehicle, and so was later put post-watershed in October 1973 in the Play for Today slot - there wasn't going to be a Casanova 74; the year after that there was a showing of The Thomas Crown Affair was in that place. So there was a watershed after all... Some late news, a documentary about Ireland and then it was Closedown.

BBC 2 started with Play School, to be repeated on BBC 1 later on. Nothing else on air until the "University of the Air" (born January 1971) started at 5.35 pm. A programme about Children Growing up at 7.05 pm, repeated until at least 1978, mostly in the afternoons. News at 7.30 pm, followed by western series Alias Smith and Jones, which I thought was "Alas Smith and Jones" at first, thinking that it was amazing that Mel Smith and Griff Rhys-Jones had started out in a comedy series as early as 1972, considering Tony Robinson had also appeared on TV on this day.

In the slot that Call My Bluff would usually be in (and the autumn 1972 series was delayed because of this), there was a quiz series about 50 years of the BBC, a one series wonder called Out of the Box and was presented by Frank Muir's colleague Denis Norden. I assume that it was not too dissimilar to Looks Familiar - this episode looked at Music and the Arts and I believe that celebrities in the ilk of Joyce Grenfell and Beryl Reid were guests. Probably more like a 1970s version of Telly Addicts - I wonder whether the BBC has the series in the archives or whether they had been wiped decades ago? I did ask BBC Archives in 2018 just after Norden passed away but got no response.

The Show of the Week starred Sacha Distel in "Sacha's in Town", and even featured Sid James from the United States, although one could see Sid more on British soil earlier on the other side. Getting late, The Philpott looks for Jesus in a Shepherd for a City. A repeat of John Sebastian in Concert; a five-minute 1972 equivalent of Newsnight at 11.15 pm; and then Late Night Line Up looks at Cole Porter (1891-1964). Line Up was to come to an end at Christmas after eight and a half years being the bedtime cocoa on BBC 2 since the station launched back in April 1964. And then Closedown at midnight.

(Continued...)
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

ITV saw a revolution of television scheduling in the afternoons: first of all, the schools programmes in the morning - smaller stations like Border and Grampian started morning transmissions just before 11.00 am and shown the first hour and a half in the afternoons, moving the brand-new Emmerdale Farm slot into a post-children's and pre-News slot. One could have seen, (with pins and needles sitting on a cold floor); Finding Out; Meeting Our Needs; Evidence; My World; the Magic of Music; and The Communicators.

Then we get the programmes for the under-fives: Larry the Lamb which is followed by a new Thames series called Rainbow and was in response for a new colour schedule to fill lunchtimes and afternoons from autumn 1972 onwards, so what better than a programme that mentions colour in its title?

As Geoffrey Hayes was too busy impersonating a police officer in Z Cars back in 1972, the actor and writer David Cook was in charge for the first two series. In this very first episode, entitled "Shapes" Cook shows a rather scary bear called Bungle about what shapes are and how they are different - cue David demonstrating a circle by drawing around a plate. Zippy looked like a deflated balloon compared to his later facelift (so to speak), and he also had a smaller head back then and wasn't even allowed into the Rainbow House and was demoted to peering in from outside throughout the episode. George the pink cow (because hippos are cows) didn't even make his first appearance until the second series in 1973.

Cook left after two series for concentrate on writing and acting (such as an early autism-themed 9.00 pm drama for a teenage Pauline Quirke just three years later), and thus, Hayes took over. The rest was history for the next 20 years - only a franchise loss would stop it from continuing, and even then it continued in different forms in the mid 1990s.

ITN's first regular afternoon news programme First Report was presented by Robert Kee who would also be TV-am's first newsreader over a decade later after they launched. Kee was also known on the BBC for fronting Panorama. The theme tune was reused for News at One up until Leonard Parkin retired in 1987 and he bulletin became the News at 12.30.

We move onto ITV's new afternoon schedule; I suppose that it does resemble television versions of Radio 4 programmes - Emmerdale Farm is like The Archers and even got an evening slot many years later, with various regions showing it at 7.00 pm or earlier at 5.15 pm. Good Afternoon translates from Woman's Hour; and of course, Rainbow was just like Listen with Mother.

First of all, Mr and Mrs is on at 1.00 pm, and I can easily assume that it was the HTV Alan Taylor version being shown as Border is showing the programme along with the network, while HTV opt out and as a result, would probably give their own version a more peak-time slot with the Helen MacArthur Show (incidentally a Mr and Mrs hostess in later years) in its place.

A new Yorkshire TV "serial" called Emmerdale Farm started at 1.30 pm and is still going half a century later (although the "Farm" bit died in 1989). Of course, it wasn't on six times a week back then and it was certainly didn't have the shocking storylines as it did in later years - just sleepy farmyard stuff and Hovis advert/Open All Hours/Stanley Bagshaw-esque inspirations all over the place. I don't even think that it was called a "soap opera" back then either. All cows, tractors, and horse-riders back then. The Archers on the radio translated as The Sugdens on air - Jacob Sugden passed away in the first episode. The 'Farm shared the 1.30 pm slot with the 'Court - Crown Court on Wednesday to Friday, just over one year after real Crown Courts had came into actual existence.

While Emmerdale Farm (don't forget the word "Farm" back then) is reaching its Golden Jubilee in October 2022, don't forget that Rainbow started on the same day and reached the first two decades of that run.

All Our Yesterdays was Granada's anniversary series - today they were going back 25 years (75 years as I am writing this) to 1947. Just five weeks later, they would have over seen the silver wedding anniversary of the late Queen (then Princess) Elizabeth and her husband Prince Philip - the Monday schedules overseen the wedding anniversary on 20th November. Good Afternoon was basically Judith Chalmers or the late Mavis Nicholson hosting a programme geared towards housewives - Loose Women it wasn't in those days.

An afternoon film commences: ATV and Scottish took the same films for most Monday afternoons in the autumn of 1972 - the Over the Hill Gang was their choice. Children's TV started at 4.25 pm, offering most regions Freewheelers and then a Junior Film 72 - Clapperboard in which I believe that Chris Kelly was involved in it even back then.

Most regions had a "starter" repeat of Bless This House which had started amid the early 1971 colour strike. The movie version was incidentally made in 1972 as well but wasn't premiered on television until the end of August 1978. Then the 5.50 pm evening News (five minutes less than the BBC) and presumably still using Non-Stop as its signature tune. I believe that Gordon Honeycombe was doing at this time what John Suchet did in the 1990s. Then after the region's local news programmes, the Monday evening schedule which flared out of the 7.00 pm slot like a pair of fashionable trousers at time.

Hughie Green got his Clapometer out for Opportunity Knocks! at 6.45 pm (or 6.40 pm depending on which region the listings came from, but more like 6.42 pm). Imperial Coronation Street was at 7.30 pm - episode 1,226 according to Corriepedia. No one shows up for Ernest Bishop's training session, apparently. Maggie Clegg offers a room to Jacko Ford at the Corner Shop. Oh, and Ken Barlow is still called Kenneth for another couple of months at least.

Michael Angelis, the Ringo Starr soundalike and successor to Starr on narrating Thomas the Tank Engine, appeared as a Kevin Keegan-alike "up to no good" Franny Slater (which I thought was a woman's name to be honest). Slater was a villain who robbed Benny Lewis' flat (someone to do with Rita?) and stole £5,000 (a lot of money back then) from the bookmaker. By the early 1990s, Angelis was to become the real-life husband of Helen Worth who played Gail "whatever her last name is this week".

World in Action asks whether the press is biased against the Labour Party. Remember that Heath was in Number 10 at this point. His predecessor (and successor) Harold Wilson, as well as William Rees-Mogg, take part. The final episode of the first series of Love Thy Neighbour is at 8.30 pm, along with the politically incorrect humour and Rudolph Walker bearing the brunt of it. Next week sees a pilot of a new comedy series Spring and Autumn which ran for a few years in the 1970s as well.

Kate was a Yorkshire TV drama starring Phyllis Calvert in the title role as an agony aunt. During her final of three series, this episode was called "Second Time Around". Bob Hoskins also appeared in this as well.

News at Ten was at ten, not surprisingly, and then different programmes in the regions until Closedown around midnight. Some had The Name of the Game - a series seen as late as 1974. And hopefully, they played the National Anthem as well, literally, at the end of the day. Films were on in some regions, although as ATV's film the previous evening was half an hour longer than most other regions, Stanley Baxter's Picture Show which was shown in other regions in what later became the "Spitting Image" slot 15 years later, was shown in the Midlands after News at Ten on Monday evening.

Although I wasn't born until six years after this date, researching newspaper TV guides has invited me to step back in time in an abstract way to see how things were back then. As Emmerdale (and the late Queen Elizabeth's 25 years of marriage) was half a century ago now, I personally feel that it is the right time to research further and write about what we saw back then.
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

ADDENDUM: It's amazing that 50 years ago today, Miriam Margoyles was on Words and Pictures with Tony Robinson - now, exactly 50 years later, she has just made the news due to her profanity on Radio 4's Today programme.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
      X