ITN newsreaders and reporters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITN newsreaders and reporters

I was thinking about the familiar names of newsreaders and reporters that used to feature on ITN bulletins in the 1980s while we were watching the News at One, News at 5:45 and of course the old-school News at Ten.

Just before revamped 1992 version of News at Ten became the Trevor McDonald Show, it was double-headed with Alastair Burnet and Sandy Gall. News at One had Leonard Parkin (with Peter Sissons standing in sometimes), and the weekend bulletins just after it stopped using Non-Stop, had Sir Trev on there as well - it was where I learnt about Edwina Currie claiming that the British egg industry was contaminated with salmonella, ironically while I was eating a boiled egg myself. Apart from Easter, I didn't eat boiled eggs for nearly a year! Burnet certainly did have a great journalistic career - although he was known and remembered for being at ITN, he was at the BBC in 1973-1974 to cover Princess Anne's wedding and both the 1974 General Elections, as well as a stint as editor of the Daily Express.

But what about the reporters? Some names I remember were Norman Rees (did the odd weekend bulletin); Ken Rees (presumably not related to Norman - he passed away this year); Anne Leuchers (BBC Radio Newcastle drivetime for a while - I thought her surname was spelt "Lucas"); Laurence McGinty (still going, I think); Jeremy Hands (arrived at ITN after starting his career at Westward and moved onto Border TV, and left ITN to go to Anglia) - he was famous for that "but this isn't Putney, is it?" outtake on It'll Be Alright on the Night - he died in 1999 after catching a virus (not that one of course). Anthony Carthew (mostly Falklands and Royal stuff) There was a Michael George (not to be confused with George Michael of course); and other reporters who graduated to the newsroom eventually. Some regional ITV stations used to "loan" reporters to ITN for national reports.

Watching the YouTube videos of the 1987 storm shows good use that ITN did of using reporters from TVS and TSW where the hurricane made big impact on the night of Thursday 15th October that year, see also 1980s snowstorms making the news as well.

They just seem to be names that are just familiar from watching news programmes back then.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: ITN newsreaders and reporters

I can remember going back there would have been only one reading the news not like today,am talking about late 60s early 70s can see their faces but cannot remember their names also there was no such thing as 24 hr news coverage.

Comment

Richard Baker
      Gordon Honeycombe
      Robert Dougal

Comment

I watch the news ONCE a day at 1.00pm and then avoid it where possible for the rest of the day, i may watch my local Granada news at 6.30pm. I don't need to be updated five times a day about American politics and this bloody virus, it's just depressing!
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
          Richard Baker
          Gordon Honeycombe
          Robert Dougal
          Gordon Honeycombe worked for ITN (I think he did the 5:50 News before it became the News at 5:45), but did Baker or Dougal ever work for ITN? - I always thought they were only on the BBC.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
          X