RIP Nick Kamen - model and singer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Nick Kamen - model and singer

The 1980s model and singer Nick Kamen has died at the young age of 59 - I know that he had featured on the front cover of Look in magazine in around 1987, and I also recall taping one of Kamen's songs from Radio Trent's Top 30 one Sunday lunchtime around the same time which also got a second play on David "Kid" Jensen's Network Chart Show a few hours later, no doubt.

Most people remember him appearing in the classic Levi's advert where he enters a launderette while wearing jeans - he takes his jeans off and puts them in one of the washing machines and sits down sans trousers, to the tune of Marvin Gaye's "Heard it Through the Grape Vine". It was so popular and memorable that Carling Black Label parodied the advert a year later. (In real life, who actually goes to the launderette to actually wash the same clothes that they were wearing when they come in to the place? - anyone who would do a "striptease" inside a launderette would raise a lot of suspicions, no doubt!)

As I mentioned before when I had started the "Carling Black Label Adverts" thread on here back in 2018, the first 25 seconds of the Carling advert parody a year later looked similar to the original until the last few seconds where we were surprised by the following: "I bet he drinks Carling Black Label", which gave the response: "No, he doesn't wash his underpants", yet the irony was that the Carling advert parody was seen more often on British television. My memories of it a bit more prominent, and I believe it was probably because it was British in origin, and I believe that it was still seen almost to the end of the 1980s. Marvin Gaye's hit also got back into the charts as a result.

I believe that it was also Kamen who was also in another Levi's advert where he goes into the bath while still wearing his jeans, making a point about the fact that they shrunk when they got wet, which I believe doesn't work in real life as I had experimented myself many years ago and it provided a horrible result to those actions - I actually made a point about this when I started the "1980s Men's Jeans thread" on here just after I joined back in 2017. Cue Sam Cooke's Wonderful World "don't know much about history" etc, playing in the background - again, Sam Cooke's hit re-entered the British charts for the first time in years as well.

They say that only the good die young, and in this case, it was quite true.

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Has he been forgotten by everyone on here? - I thought he had such a big profile back in the 1980s.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

He was huge in the 80s wasn't he, a real pin up of the times. I seem to remember his modelling being better/more popular than his pop career though?

Comment

VERY SAD TO HEAR THOSE LEVI ADS HE DID ARE SOME OF THE MOST ICONIC ADS EVER.
        R I P N.K

https://youtu.be/zhkqGn91VAM
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
        X