RIP OJ Simpson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP OJ Simpson

A controversial choice for Gone But Not Forgotten, but as I have seen obituaries on other websites, I thought that it would be worth writing one on here: former American footballer and NFL player, Orenthal James Simpson, known as OJ, has died of cancer aged 76. Simpson had a high profile in the mid 1990s by virtue of being controversally cleared of double murder of his former wife Nicole Brown and a friend which gripped the United States at the time, if not the rest of the world. In 2008 he was sentenced to 33 years for armed robbery but was released in 2017.

I think that from a British perspective, what I would mainly associate Simpson for was the exclusive interview for the Granada's shortlived (and more or less forgotten about by now) Tonight with Richard and Judy programme on Monday 13th May 1996; they had booked Simpson with an attempt of a scoop for their new Monday evening chat show for the then incumbent This Morning hosts. It was promised that the full half hour (sans commercial break) would be used to interview him. Madeley and Finnigan interviewed Simpson for the first ten miniutes, and then ended it ten minutes in to make way for the ad break, and in the second half, went ontop some re-recorded coverage of other things, which even surprised Simpson himself. He was paid a £1 nominal fee for his first interview since being cleared of murder the year before, and even Granada paid for his travel expenses for the interview.

No doubt that we not are here to glamourise those who have done wrong, but in the case of Simpson, it has a lot of unique aspects in which 40 years on, still seems fascinating, be it American or not American.

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Sad to hear of his passing but he will always be rememberd for that infamous event..

He was also in the towering inferno with names like richard chamberlain etc etc.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Murderer
      Rot In Hell

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
        Murderer
        Rot In Hell
        It does seem that the media are focusing more on the fact that he was known for reasons other than the fact that he killed someone. The problem is that the international media has tarnished all this and made him a celebrity again, hence the Richard and Judy appearance - I believe that it was controversial at the time in more ways than one. I believe that killers should not be glamourised or made to look like celebrities but the problem is that he had been famous prior to the incident happening, and I doubt that they would ignore it as a result.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
        X