school milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: school milk

I was 15 in 1990 so my school life was near over.

Maybe in some parts of the country bottles of milk where still given out.

I thought school milk in the small bottles was done away with by 1990.
    School milk i assume was only available for kids in primary school.
    Man i loved it so much.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

They still have milk in primary schools but it now comes in cartons in my area and its semi-skimmed rather than full fat. An internet search has revealed that the glass bottles were still being used in primary schools in South Tyneside and Leicester as recently as 2007, but I can't find any photos or videos of them. I have no idea where else in Britain primary schools got their milk in glass bottles after 1990 but it's possible that there were several other places.

Comment

I was milk monitor once, back in the carton days!
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Yes, Milk Monitors used to give the milk out didn't they ?

I used to drink the carton, or 'FREE' milk at school, and one time had 'seconds'......BIG mistake.
          It was horrible tasting and teacher told me to go and pour it away.
          I left the classroom and went to the BIG old porcelain sinks they had in primary schools (looked like horse troughs) - and poured the 'milk' out - well the sight of the curdled yellow blobs and the stench !
          Put me off milk for life....never drink it now AT ALL

Comment

Little bottles (250mil I think) & there was a nerdish class milk monitor who used to hand them out to as kids

I used to grab a second bottle

Nowadays school milk is still delevered to schools & nurseries in pint poly bottles

My brother-in law is a franchisee of Dairy Crest & he delivers these poly bottles of milk to a few nurseries but not to infant/primary schools. Perhaps it is not deemed to be needed in schools nowadays. I reckon it should still go on as kids nowadays buy fizzy drinks from Coke vending machines at school because the machine is provided free and the school makes money on each can/bottle sold
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I well remember school milk. 1/3 pint bottles. In the infants school, everybody had a bottle. In junior school, only the four youngest in the class. I was one of them. What the reason was for this, I have no idea. I had a right telling off in the first year of the junior school for not drinking it one day. The problem being, I didn't always want it. Another telling off in the fourth year by the headmaster for not drinking it. The telling off got a bit hot under the collar when I told him I was not drinking it if I didn't want it. To be fair, most days I did enjoy it. It was usually cold. When I got to the comprehensive, that was the end of milk. By then, I did not miss it.
              Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Infant school sounds like nursery school.

Jnr school u mean primary school mate.

strange only the 4 youngest got a bottle.
                When i was in primary school everyone got a bottle of milk everyon
                e in every class got one.
                I was a good boy i drank up everyday.:d

well i love how cold it was it kinda give me a sore head cause it was cold but just for a few seconds.

Originally posted by marc View Post
                i well remember school milk. 1/3 pint bottles. In the infants school, everybody had a bottle. In junior school, only the four youngest in the class. I was one of them. What the reason was for this, i have no idea. I had a right telling off in the first year of the junior school for not drinking it one day. The problem being, i didn't always want it. Another telling off in the fourth year by the headmaster for not drinking it. The telling off got a bit hot under the collar when i told him i was not drinking it if i didn't want it. To be fair, most days i did enjoy it. It was usually cold. When i got to the comprehensive, that was the end of milk. By then, i did not miss it.

Comment

In my LEA milk is only available to kids in nursery, reception class, and KS1 in primary and infant schools. It is not available to KS2 kids in primary and junior schools.

It was possible on rare occasions for a KS2 kid in my primary school to have a bottle free of charge if a reception or KS1 class was on an all day school trip or if some other reason it wasn't attending that day because the order was set for the entire term and wasn't reduced for day to day absences.

Comment

Darren, back in the '70s, it was called infants school and junior school. It is the truth, only the four youngest in each class got milk.
                    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Infant school sounds like nursery school.

Jnr school u mean primary school mate.

Yes that's right
                      sigpic
                      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Nope, infants! Post-nurseery and pre-primary
                        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

In England:

Infant school is reception class to Y2
                          Junior school is Y3 to Y6
                          Primary school is reception class to Y6

Separate infant and junior schools are uncommon nowadays but they still exist.

Comment

Cheers for that mate.

Well its quite a jump from just the 4 youngest getting milk to everyone in the class getting milk when i was at primary school from 79 to about 85.

Originally posted by marc View Post
                            darren, back in the '70s, it was called infants school and junior school. It is the truth, only the four youngest in each class got milk.

Comment

it was always the same 2 swotty kids getting to be milk monitor at our school. One would pull the little trolley in from the corridor and the other would temporarily remove his knuckle from his nostril and stick the blue straws in the top then hand them out. I always put my hand up to be milk monitor but I'm sure they thought I was going to run off with it like some kind of milk maniac and sadly that ship has now sailed. It really smelled like plimsoles and warm sick as far as I can remember.

Comment

The straws were always blue and very thin at my primary school. I would have preferred thicker bendy straws like they use nowadays with the cartons. Kids weren't allowed to swig the milk directly out of the bottle and had to use a straw. The school had hole punchers for the straws that looked like a large plastic bottlecap with a spike on the inside.

Comment

Working...
                                X