Chrysler/talbot alpine car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chrysler/talbot alpine car?

Didn't production run down towards the end?

There were loads in the late 70s but I think following the sale of the Chrysler European arm to Peugeot in 1982 the Peugeot 205 was introduced and promoted as the main group car.

The Talbot brand limped on for a while but discontinued at C-reg and they quickly became obsolete and unpopular.

Think some early 205s used the old (rattly-sounding) Chrysler engine from the Alpine (originally from the Simca?).
    ....What Happened To You, Whatever Happened To Me, What Became of Those People, We Used To Be....

Comment

In France, the Chrsyler/Talbot Alpine was originally badged as a Simca 1308.
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3087.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	259791 Here is Albert the Talbot!

Comment

Wow Flying Saucer that looks in great condition!! My Aunt used to have one of those. I think it was a pale metallic green colour .
          Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I love 70s cars, I own a Morris Marina which is perhaps the most bashed of the lot from the 70s. Your talbot looks in really good shape! I did see a Lotus sunbeam a month or two ago.

My Morris starts really easy even in the cold and is a doddle to work on, and in fact it has never let me down unlike my VW Polo! The morris does not stop (drum brakes all round), or go around corners mind .

Thinking of a Cortina Mk2 1600E or a Austin Maxi sometime in the future (I also adore the Maxi) a mk1 Granny 3.0 litre would be nice too, but I doubt I could afford to feed such a beast!. I just do not like modern cars either they all look the same to me.

Comment

I well remember the Talbot / Chrysler range- there was the Sunbeam, the Alpine and the Solara. The Sunbeam was actually in production up until '85, when Peugeot bought Talbot out. Apparently, the Peugeot 309 was originally a Talbot design, but the company folded before they could release it on the market so Peugeot ended up producing it under their own badge. But it has British origins, nonetheless.

Comment

Sounds right to me ROXXY, the 309 was the replacement for the Alpine, a decent car too (outmoded by todays fanciful standards) and in production until 1993 when the Peugeot 306 stepped in, (I remember the launch at the Dealership where I worked)

I must start him up and give him a blast!

Comment

Albert the Talbot looks in cracking nick! Nice one!
                  If it's lasted this long, it's worth keeping!

Comment

Well thank you! He has had problems, like the core plug going in the heated manifold, but I reckon these old uns (so long as you can get the spares) are easier to work on than all this modern, dealer oriented "so called" modern rubbish.

Comment

As long as his problems are all taken care of then I'm sure he'll last! Definately, older cars have more class. And who in 20 years time will be saying "Eeeeh, You know I wish i'd kept my Daewoo Matiz or that lovely Espace!"? In my Polo the "Service required" light has been on for the past 3 years, yet I do a full service on it at least once a year, usually twice. I like electronics in cars, and electronics is a hobby of mine, but I think it should be more Citroen / Austin Maestro electronics, where it's not needed but makes it quirky rather than needing a software routine to start an engine.

A few years back I met this bloke at a classic car show who had a Vauxhall Victor FD. When he got it, it was an absolute shed, everything knacked and it had been sold as a rolling shell for scrap value. If I recall he fitter a Rover V8 from a scrapped Landie, Jag rear axle and the prop shaft from a Sierra along with I think Sierra brakes too to get it up and going again. Fair play to the guy, it came out great! And to think he only bought it for a few panels too!

Comment

Well we do our best by him, but I suppose these cars were not meant to last as long as they are doing? Auto electrics are a Logical science in itself, and if you intend to keep something like Albert of "whatever car" on the road, then we need to obtain dealer workshop manuals, wiring diagrams and the like to enable us to beat the system of buying new, new ,new?

Comment

Every time I go to a carboot sale and see a manual of a car I even vaugly like, I snap it up immediately, Have a shelf full of Haynes, Autodata and Inter-Europe manuals. Found a digital copy of the Triumph Stag dealer manual so thats now safely on a memory stick! I hate making up new wiring looms, it is the single most depressing and frustrating thing on the planet. It's not so much the blisters you get from crimping and threading new wiring through, but the stickiness of the old loom to have to dis-assemble in the first place! Done it twice so far, only motorbikes but I hated it! :P

Comment

Keep up the good work!

Comment

*Sticky work! :P

Comment

Sorry for double posting, forgot to refresh the page and thought I'd typed a comment but not posted it.

Comment

Working...
                                X