Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1977, queens jubilee

No,not PC,just tight fisted LOL.
    The actual party at the youth club,was not just for one street now i recall,it was for an entire council estate.The actual organisers of the youth club celebrations,were not council tenants,but people who lived along the street who owned private houses.

Comment

I can remember the 1977 Jubilee, I was only 6, but I can remember the street had ribbons going back and forward across the street, tables and chairs going from one of the street to the other and this was on nearly every street in my area. Everybody in the community rallied round and made it a day to remember.

I can remember that tables were placed at both ends of the roads to close the road off.

I can remember in 2002, there been similar events planned, but our now politically correct society and ludicrous bureaucracy put a stop to it before it even got started
      Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
        I can remember the 1977 Jubilee, I was only 6, but I can remember the street had ribbons going back and forward across the street, tables and chairs going from one of the street to the other and this was on nearly every street in my area. Everybody in the community rallied round and made it a day to remember.

I can remember that tables were placed at both ends of the roads to close the road off.

I can remember in 2002, there been similar events planned, but our now politically correct society and ludicrous bureaucracy put a stop to it before it even got started
        You will find loads of red tape trying to close a road off for a street party plus you have to get public liability insurance .police/council permission etc.....such bull!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by memoman View Post
          You will find loads of red tape trying to close a road off for a street party plus you have to get public liability insurance .police/council permission etc.....such bull!
          I agree it is such bull. Bring back the days when we lived in a non red tape and a non no win no fee sueing society.
          Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

All I can remember about the 1977 Silver Jubilee is being at infants' school, and some very excitable kid called Dorothy (her parents must have been Wizard of Oz fans) singing: "It's the Silver Jubilee! Red, white and blue! It's the Silver Jubilee".

I have a vague recollection of Anglia Television having an on-screen clock with the 1977 Silver Jubilee insignia on it. I'm sure I wasn't imagining this.

Comment

I was thirteen during the Silver Jubilee. I remember our teacher telling us that the Queen had very kindly given us a day off school for the event. Then he said, "So if you don't like the Queen or the Jubilee, you'd better come into school tomorrow!"
              I wonder if he knew that 'The Queen' was our nickname for the headmistress?

We watched it on telly, and at one point they told us what the Queen was having for lunch. We were having beans on toast, and we wondered if the Queen had ever eaten beans on toast.

No patriotic celebrations for us London cynics!
              The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Originally posted by marillion View Post
                no patriotic celebrations for us london cynics!
                lol

Comment

I had my youngest son during this year. A new pub was built on our housing estate, they called it the Jubilee.But most memorable of 1977 was Star Wars came out!
                  The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

Ahh the Silver Jubilee. A great event in Kersal Flats where I lived as a small child in the 1970s. I was 8 at the time. It was a big event and the whole of the estate had a party. I should add that Kersal Flats were a group of 12 flats in Kersal (Salford, Greater Manchester). Oddly enough for flats they were surrounded by green and the beautiful Kersal Dale.

The jubilee was a huge community event. All the mums organised collections etc for months in advance to ensure there was plenty of food and drink for all. Everyone brought their tables out so people could have a party outside and the road was closed off. A great day. I have attached some pictures below.

There is more on my site www.kersalflats.co.uk

Last edited by HG; 03-11-2010, 18:59.
                    For a local history website with lots of photos and videos from the 1970s, 1980s and earlier goto

Comment

For a local history website with lots of photos and videos from the 1970s, 1980s and earlier goto

Comment

I was only 5, but I remember going to a party held at the local community hall. I also remember owning a toy Matchbox bus in silver with '1977 Silver Jubilee' down each side.
                        "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
                          I was only 5, but I remember going to a party held at the local community hall. I also remember owning a toy Matchbox bus in silver with '1977 Silver Jubilee' down each side.
                          I had one of them as well, maybe still have somewhere in my mam & dads house. If my memory serves me correctly, it was a double decker.

Comment

which one where you in those pics kersal.

i was only 2 on the queens jubilee.

can anyone tell me where there medallions silver i think, you could buy to celebrate the jubilee.
                            my um swears she bought me one.
                            that is 33 yrs ago and she still cannot find it.
                            other tihng i remember about 77 virginia wade won the ladies singles at wimbledon
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

1977 The day of The Queens Silver Jubilee, I was on holiday in North Wales, so missed any street parties. I remember sitting in a snug little pub, they had union jack bunting up. But nothing of any significance took place in there. No free drinks or food.! Bit of a let down really. Should have planned my holiday at a more appropriate time.

Comment

What do you expect from the Welsh?

Comment

Working...
                                X