No announcement yet.

50 Years of decimalisation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think that Britain will officially become "100% decimal"?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I'm so glad we kept Sterling and not had the Euro as our currency

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        Do you think that Britain will officially become "100% decimal"?
        The crown coins, along with the gold sovereigns and half sovereigns are the last vestiges of the pre-decimal currency today.

Crown coins can only really be demonetised if the 25p commemoration coins are demonetised along with them.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
          I'm so glad we kept Sterling and not had the Euro as our currency
          I agree - I might have wanted to stay in the EU by voting Remain in the 2016 Referendum but I would never have voted to adopt the Euro.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I agree - I might have wanted to stay in the EU by voting Remain in the 2016 Referendum but I would never have voted to adopt the Euro.
            My mother said that the consequences of a Remain victory would be far reaching. Britain may well have to kiss goodbye to Sterling and other EU 'opt-outs' - like the zero VAT on food and public transport - in less than 10 years from the EU Referendum.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978
              Looks like the reality is far worse.
              ????????????????????????????????????

Comment

Can we stay on topic please and leave Brexit out of it, thanks.
                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                  Can we stay on topic please and leave Brexit out of it, thanks.
                  All I can say that when we went decimal back in 1971, we thankfully didn't have to worry about that sort of thing happening for obvious reasons.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978
                    I heard our government looked at the campaigns Australia & New Zealand ran when they switched to decimal currency a few years earlier.
                    I believe it was South Africa, which changed to a decimal currency in 1961.

The British government had been looking into a decimal currency as far back as 1824. The proposal was put forward in 1847, and in 1839 the first 2 shilling coins were minted with the words "One Florin - One Tenth of a Pound". The half crown ceased production a year later (but remained legal tender) as it did not fit into a decimal currency. The proposal seemed to have been abandoned in 1874 when the half crown resumed production.

It wasn't considered again until 1961 when the government launched the Committee of the Inquiry on Decimal Currency, whose 1963 report resulted in the government agreeing to adopt a decimal currency on 1 March 1966.

It was noteable that computers had difficulty handling calculations in pounds shillings and pence because it was a very awkward data type. Many British computers from the 1960s had extra circuits in the CPU to handle the pounds shillings and pence data type in order to eliminate having to code it into software. American computers did not have these extra circuits.

Comment

I believe that Britain was even thinking about decimalisation in the 19th century as well, as early as Gladstone's time.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I believe that Britain was even thinking about decimalisation in the 19th century as well, as early as Gladstone's time.
                        A Royal Commission was set up in 1838 by the Chancellor of the Exchequer Thomas Spring Rice, leading to the creation of The Decimal Association in 1841.

During the 1840s and 50s a decimal currency was opposed by the banker Lord Overstone and the Governor of the Bank of England John Hubbard.

When William Gladstone became Chancellor, he opposed a decimal currency because he thought that it would be nearly impossible to educate the public about it.

Comment

Working...
                        X