Wales in the 70s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wales in the 70s

What do you remember about Wales in the 70s.
    The Wales rugby union side winning triple crowns & Grandslams.Famous names JPR Williams,Gareth Edwards,Barry John,
    The 1978 Film Grand Slam filmed about the French trip to Paris
    Sunday school trips to Barry where the beach was packed and fun at the fairground,ice cream cones,bag of chips.

Re: Wales in the 70s

We went to a caravan site in Oxwych (near the Gower) in the 70s. I won 14 shillings on the bingo! That's about 3 million pounds (adjusting for inflation) today!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
      We went to a caravan site in Oxwych (near the Gower) in the 70s. I won 14 shillings on the bingo! That's about 3 million pounds (adjusting for inflation) today!
      Oh wow 14 shillings ha

Comment

Big win!!!

Comment

Blaenau Ffestiniog !!! - school trip....sleeping in a slate building with sheep outside, and SLATE quarries EVERYWHERE u looked......grey slate EVERYWHERE.
          Mountains of slate.
          Wouldn't have missed it for the world ....'mind you'

Comment

And Wales being MUCH tidier and NEATER than England....as soon as you passed the border it was lovely looking.

Comment

I went to Swansea Uni in the early 80s - rained like a mother every day of my 1st term..

Comment

Trips to Tenby lovely part of West Wales fab beaches & coves

Comment

One thing I remember about Wales in the 70s, only three TV channels. Come Saturday afternoon, BBC1 showing Grandstand, ITV showing World of Sport, BBC2 showing an old film that creaked with age.
                  Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                    One thing I remember about Wales in the 70s, only three TV channels. Come Saturday afternoon, BBC1 showing Grandstand, ITV showing World of Sport, BBC2 showing an old film that creaked with age.
                    My Aunt used to like watching wrestling on the box on saturday afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by DSCOMAN View Post
                      Blaenau Ffestiniog !!! - school trip....sleeping in a slate building with sheep outside, and SLATE quarries EVERYWHERE u looked......grey slate EVERYWHERE.
                      Mountains of slate.
                      Wouldn't have missed it for the world ....'mind you'
                      Yeah, I remember this place too. From our rented caravan in the early 70's we would take a train from Rhyl for the day. I remember going through a tunnel that was miles long to get there. My brother found a £5 note there and it paid for our family to have a slap up dinner in a cafe, that was 2 adults and 6 kids, mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by Toothgrinder67 View Post
                        Yeah, I remember this place too. From our rented caravan in the early 70's we would take a train from Rhyl for the day. I remember going through a tunnel that was miles long to get there. My brother found a £5 note there and it paid for our family to have a slap up dinner in a cafe, that was 2 adults and 6 kids, mind you.
                        Talking about 'value for money'... I recall going to cubs in the 60's then calling into the chippy afterwards and getting fish and chips and getting change from 2 shillings / 10 pence !!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X