Blue Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Monday

The third Monday is January (since 2005 at least) has always been known as Blue Monday - which researchers and scientists have claimed that it was the most depressing day of the year based on one thing or another in quantum physics. The combination one assumes of the cold and wet weather, dark mornings and evenings, the post Christmas blues which makes Christmas feel like a long time ago, and the debt that one is trying to pay off from December, purchasing all that food and Christmas presents, although I do still have some biscuits stored in the fridge, mostly because I received so many of them over the festive period.

I have always said that getting back to normal is just as refreshing as Christmas and New Year was itself, and I think that Blue Monday is when the "honeymoon" ends and it feels as it has been "normal" all the time, except that "normal" is a different normal to last year or the year before for obvious reasons. It's all a very British thing at the end of the day, isn't it?

It wasn't too bad for myself though - in recent years my new TV Licence always comes in the post on Blue Monday, and this year was no exception - there it was in the box with the TV Licensing logo on the envelope. At least it's one worry off my mind that the men might come knocking just in case - I pay by Direct Debit anyway. Television is what we need to keep in touch in this COVID world for the latest information - and the Downing Street press briefing was interesting as well - thank you Matt Hancock for our Blue Monday briefing! Apart from that, it would probably be the Daily Service on Radio 4 DAB which would be foot for thought in a current climate as we are in at the moment.

And of course, where would we be without the Indoor Bowls from Hopton-on-Sea in Norfolk, seen on BBC 2 in the third week of January each year? - it sees that it's the only time that bowls gets shown on terrestrial television these days (Freesports, anyone?) , and goes nicely with the daytime sport trilogy which kicked off the first three weeks of the year, knowingly known by myself as the "bulls, balls and bowls" - the darts from Lakeside; the snooker from Ally Pally (MK this year due to COVID) and of course, the bowls.

The first food delivery of the year came this afternoon courtesy of Iceland - the freezer was full up when it was last done just before New Year. Tesco still had no slots available for the remainder of the month - frustrating, not just for loss of Clubcard points. But at least I could make some toast thanks to the bread arriving, and relax with some apple juice. At least I won't starve or dehydrate. No, I think that Blue Monday has been fine this year - blue has always been my favourite colour, and Monday has always been the start of the week as far as I am concerned rather than Monday. It does put you in a Burt Bacharach mode methinks.

Has Blue Monday 2021 been a normal day, or has it been better or worse for you?
    Last edited by George 1978; 19-01-2021, 01:01.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Never liked mondays Friday always seemed so far away when I was working.Been a miserable day with rain and more rain with storm Christopher on way.Have you tried Morrisons home delivery you get morrisons more points.I hate January and February but we are in 3rd week of the month only 28 days next month.Then hopefully spring on the horizon.Im sure none of us can cope with having another winter of this virus being around.

Comment

There was a miserable storm
      The storm was named as Christoph
      It caused a lot of damage
      And got me really... Annoyed.

It's like Blankety Blank on acid...

(And yes, I briefly used Morrisons just before I moved to where I am now).
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I never seem to get anything from the postman on Valentine's Day (an indication to one's own social situation nevertheless, but it is otherwise a coincidence) - the fact that it will be on a Sunday this year will take most of the pressure off as a result. I will avoid Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs on Radio 2 as well. Mind you, Valentine's Day 2006 was the best one for me when I was matched up with this woman who I am still in touch with now, although it has been a platonic "over the phone" relationship instead since back then.

I hate the lighter evenings when the clocks go forward at the end of March because I have got used to the darker evenings - its the other way round at the end of October when I have got used to daylight hours.

I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Have noticed iits getting a bit lighter in the morning
          Also the evenings are opening up.
          There are plenty of things to do in the garden weather permitting by February.I want to be able to have a cup of tea or coffee outdoors watching the birds in the garden.

Comment

One thing that was good about this week was seeing that the inauguration of Joe Biden - at last, for the first time in four years a proper person to run the United States!
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
            X