Genius Guitar player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Genius Guitar player

Ive got to agree, it has to be Jimi Hendrix, no one comes close.
    He was totally unique, pure genius, his guitar playing was magical and he was mesmerising to watch.

Comment

For a number of reasons it has to be Les Paul.
      "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

^ Excellent point

Comment

Not guitar again but this gentleman deserves a mention....

YouTube - Amazing Bass Guitar Player!
          "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Yes, Hendrix was the best, but like Lee with martial arts, people don't always recognise the shear hard work they put in...(Hendrix used to take his guitar with him to the toilet - move over Rover).

But Jimi was so good it actually nearly put me off playing guitar altogether.
            Page, on the other hand, was brilliant and you could play some of his simpler stuff to get started (Black Dog, Moby Dick), and good luck with the rest!
            Having said that, there are so many, many times that reviewers talk about a band being like Zep, or playing like Page, but they never are, or can. Page was not only a brilliant guitarist but also a clever producer and sound engineer. He once said he wanted some backwards echo on a track (before it was invented). His engineer said it couldn't be done and Page said, "I've already done it".

Comment

Les Paul, absolutely. Saw a documentary about him a while back. You can see how the legend began, and, yes, respect to Hank Marvin. Didn't the Shadows do Apache?
              Brian May had a unique sound from that hand-built guitar and amp his dad made - with a knitting needle for a tremolo and bottle caps for nobs. That doubling/sustain.
              But now I'm (slightly) done paying respect to all these, let me tell you some of my personal favourites.
              Adrian Legg is a solo, acoustic guitar player you may not know, but who is something else. He sounds like two or three players at once. Genius.
              Bert Jansch and Nick Drake are also amazing players.
              But technical gifts are not always style (see Vai, and contrast with VU's brilliant "I heard her call my name"). One of my favourite songs of all time is "Almost cut my hair" from the Deja Vu album by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. It's raw, and Neil Young and Stevie Stills have a guitar duel that sends shivers down my spine everytime. Both players I really love. Stills is exceptional, but, although Young is not technically brilliant(like Reed), stylistically he has been an inspiration. Anyone who could write the riff for "When you dance"...

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                Whom would you choose as the greatest guitar player ever?

It has to be the one and only Jimi Hendrix
                He is one of my all time greats ,
                Neil Schon from Journey is up there with the best....

Comment

Give Jeff Healey a listen, He's a blind canadian guitarist, probably his best known song is Confidence man.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02bIOr96aiw

Comment

Was..he's dead
                    Saw him live once, he was very good

Comment

Johnny Marr
                      Graham Coxon(Blur)
                      John Squire(The Stone roses)

Comment

What about Satriani and Vai?No one's mentioned them

tulip

Comment

For me Brian May is a great player but as I was a fan of Queen I would say that would'nt I?
                          I also liked Jimi Hendrix who could really make a guitar 'sing'.
                          Another great player was John Williams who made the acoustic guitar sound perfect.

Comment

I'm a tad late in joining in on this one, but my vote has to go to Paul Gilbert (Mr Big) An incredible player and a generally all round great guy!

Comment

Have to agree there.My brother met him.Oh and Bumblefoot!Interesting though,this topic,cos some people seem to think that people who can tank out a wee tune are fantastic!!

tulip

Comment

what about classical guitar?............I remember watching Segovia on the tv when I was a child........I wanted so badly to play like the master himself ............another 40 years and I could be there

Comment

Working...
                                X