Things that dont happen anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things that dont happen anymore

I was doing some garden work yesterday and I heard something I've not heard in ages. A mother shouting out the front door at her kids calling them in because it was bath time. It made me laugh because you could hear the kids complaining that they still wanted to play out.

Comment

Stuff that doesnt happen anymore:

+ Waiting ten minutes for a game to load on my commodore 64!

Comment

1) You don't see the kids going into the chippy and asking for 'the scraps' anymore.
        2) The Salvation Army selling the 'War Cry' in the pub on a Friday evening along with the 'mussels and cockles' man.

Comment

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
          1) You don't see the kids going into the chippy and asking for 'the scraps' anymore.
          2) The Salvation Army selling the 'War Cry' in the pub on a Friday evening along with the 'mussels and cockles' man.
          Ha ha they are so true, the fishman as we called him got the same joke very week from one of the lads "Got any crabs on you, co ck?" (not swearing before anyone reports me, co ck used as a term of endearment.)

My parents would sometimes bring home a copy of the War Cry from time to time, it wasn't actually a bad read if I remember rightly.
          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

another thing u dont see now is the milkman coming n his van with all the bottles of milk.

another thing is not seeing the bread man come in his van.
            see back in the late eighties we had a fella called john the bread man.

he came in a blue van and had all sorts of lovely bread.

the brread was sometimes still warm...

i8 can remember the last day i saw him.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think a lot of people have covered a lot here so I'd only be repeating things having read the entire 8 pages so far...All I can come up with are...

You don't see lovely old cars parked here or there, or even on the roads as your walking by - cars like Anglia's, Imps, Mini's, Dolomites, Stags, Cortina MK's 1 - 4 etc, etc...you don't even really see them as second hand even...

Also, kindness and trust amongst people...thats something society's sadly lost. I think one of the best posts in this topic was the one about Grange Hill - I agree, it has a lot to blame for kids becoming mouthy, rude, rebellious and downright nasty...cheers for that Phil Redmond...

I think, overall, our parents and grandparents as consumers are really to blame for the loss of 'local, independent shops' i.e. bakeries, greengrocers, butchers, sweet shops, toy shops etc as they started to love the 'all under one roof' philosophy the big retailers offered them adopted from the USA...I think that its led to a backlash now as its all become staid and identikit all across the UK - you have Tesco, Sainsburys, NEXT, TOPSHOP etc etc EVERYWHERE and all high streets look alike now...consumers now hate corporate greed and hopefully it will lead back to small independents to rise up again - but it all depends on a good economy and benefits for the shops via incentives that allow them to grow and retain business.

Comment

true but I still do mmmmmmmmm gravy n scraps

1) in the pub on a Friday evening along with the 'mussels and cockles' man
                Back in Hull where I used to live up to when I left in the mid 90's the Steam Tavern still had Mr Cockles coming in I always got 10x crab sticks good with a decent pint of a Friday night.

Comment

one thing i dont see anymore is people using twin tubs.

they where basic but boy they held a lot of washing and where indestructable..

Comment

Kids getting their head stuck in railings.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

one would be kids reading books.
                      well it happens much less that it did.

Comment

Comment

Romany....your post reminded me of the following....Saturday Morning Cinema !! Does anybody remember early morning Saturday Cinema? Early seventies as I recall. 1 shilling (5p) to get in at about 10am each Saturday morning. In my hometown of Blackpool it was the huge Odeon cinema. The format was usually...cartoon...followed by the latest Flash Gordon episode...followed by some random feature usually involving The 3 Stooges...finally a film...as I recall probably starring George Formby or Charlie Drake. If the film was boring, the game quickly became " see who can jump on the stage and wave at your friends before the old man in the white coat caught you ". Aaah 2 hours entertainment for 5p...happy days !!
                          Last edited by Cooldeepblue; 11-08-2013, 21:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooldeepblue View Post
                            Romany....your post reminded me of the following....Saturday Morning Cinema !! Does anybody remember early morning Saturday Cinema? Early seventies as I recall. 1 shilling (5p) to get in at about 10am each Saturday morning. In my hometown of Blackpool it was the huge Odeon cinema. The format was usually...cartoon...followed by the latest Flash Gordon episode...followed by some random feature usually involving The 3 Stooges...finally a film...as I recall probably starring George Formby or Charlie Drake. If the film was boring, the game quickly became " see who can jump on the stage and wave at your friends before the old man in the white coat caught you ". Aaah 2 hours entertainment for 5p...happy days !!
                            I use to live in Blackpool, and when I was holidaying there in the 70s I went to see The Amazing Mr Blundell the cinema was in north shore near the prom not far from the grand.......

I recall also watching Flash Gordon, Three Stooges, and Jerry Lewis etc at the morning cinema.....not the one in Blackpool though.

Comment

I've also just remembered the excitement of when the Xmas edition of the TV and Radio Times double week issue came out. Myself and my sister would go through both highlighting with a gaudy hi-lite pen all the yummy programmes we would watch. Sadly due to all the 100's of channels available now that is a pleasure which is no more : (

Comment

Originally posted by Cooldeepblue View Post
                                I've also just remembered the excitement of when the Xmas edition of the TV and Radio Times double week issue came out. Myself and my sister would go through both highlighting with a gaudy hi-lite pen all the yummy programmes we would watch. Sadly due to all the 100's of channels available now that is a pleasure which is no more : (
                                Same here...... we eventually made a jacket for them out of wallpaper so they'd keep better.....after all we had 2 weeks of telly in them...we had to scrutinise the Christmas shows to see which ones we would watch....naturally Bruce Forsyths generation game and Morcambe and Wise was a dead cert....and there was usually a David Lean film to be found knocking around not to mention a BBC ghost story to top it all off.....it certainly was exciting cooldeepblue.

Comment

Working...
                                X