Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brit movie/tv quiz.

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Fellars and gal remember I am not a Brit. need more staffs.

a wild stab

Punch & Judy Man?

Not the Punch and Judy Man. The leading character works as an undertaker's clerk and it is set in Northern England. In the film version, the leading lady actress was one of the most high profile of the 60s, and had an enormous hit in a big budget film with Omar Sharif.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
      Not the Punch and Judy Man. The leading character works as an undertaker's clerk and it is set in Northern England. In the film version, the leading lady actress was one of the most high profile of the 60s, and had an enormous hit in a big budget film with Omar Sharif.
      Is the great John Mills in this?

Comment

Billy Liar?
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
          Billy Liar?

Correct, Billy Liar. The actress was, of course, Julie Christie. Not many seem to remember the 1973-74 sitcom spinoff that ran for 2 series, but it was a favourite of mine at the time.

I think Donald may be thinking of The Family Way with Hywel Bennett and Hayley Mills, and also starred her father, Sir John Mills. So far as I am aware, it never spawned a sitcom.

Comment

[QUOTE=staffslad;230471]Not many seem to remember the 1973-74 sitcom spinoff that ran for 2 series, but it was a favourite of mine at the time.QUOTE]

I certainly do! The actor who played Billy popped up Drop The Dead Donkey!

Okerly-dokerly - What Oscar did Tom Jones win?

Comment

[QUOTE=zabadak;230492]
              Not many seem to remember the 1973-74 sitcom spinoff that ran for 2 series, but it was a favourite of mine at the time.QUOTE]

I certainly do! The actor who played Billy popped up Drop The Dead Donkey!

Okerly-dokerly - What Oscar did Tom Jones win?

Not sure, but I don't think it has been repeated since first transmission.

Tom Jones...I think it won a few. Best picture and best director for Tony Richardson. Hmmmmm...there were more but not sure. Albert Finney was nominated but didn't win...screenplay? score? special effects? Nope, not sure.

Comment

Best Picture is correct (AFAIK)

You avoided the trap of thinking of the singer and saying Best Song...

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                  Best Picture is correct (AFAIK)

You avoided the trap of thinking of the singer and saying Best Song...
                  Our staffs is a smart lad indeed. Yours mate.

Comment

You gonna post something staffs old man?

Comment

In the classic sitcom Rising Damp, Richard Beckinsale played Alan, Philip's flatmate. Who played Philip's flatmate in the big screen version due to Beckinsale's tragic death?

Comment

In the classic sitcom Rising Damp, Richard Beckinsale played Alan, Philip's flatmate. Who played Philip's flatmate in the big screen version due to Beckinsale's tragic death?
                        Christopher strauli but he played a different character to Alan, dont remember the character name.
                        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                          Christopher strauli but he played a different character to Alan, dont remember the character name.
                          Oh, he was in "Only When I Laugh", wasn't he?

Comment

I saw the movie.. should remember his name but dont.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare View Post
                              Oh, he was in "Only When I Laugh", wasn't he?
                              My bad, yes he was and he was also in raffles, who remembers that?
                              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Yep, it was Christopher Strauli, and I think his character was named John. Yes, I remember Only when I Laugh--Peter Bowles and James Bolem were his ward mates. "I'm H.A.P.P.Y...." etc etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X