Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweep

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Twocky61
    replied
    Re: Sweep

    Apparently Sweep squeaked because he was neutered lol

    Leave a comment:


  • George 1978
    replied
    Re: Sweep

    I was only familiar with the character Butch via old Sooty annuals from the 1970s that my family had kept - when did he last appear in the series? I don't remember him appearing by the time Matthew Corbett presented the show without his father.

    Was Calico Joe - a cat character, from the same series as well?

    Leave a comment:


  • Mulletino
    replied
    Re: Sweep

    I seem to also remember a bulldog type character called "Butch" in the 70s Sooty Show, well he was definitely in the live show I saw as a kid.

    Aha, seems he made a few appearances over the years as a supporting actor.

    Leave a comment:


  • George 1978
    replied
    Re: Sweep

    Originally posted by tex View Post
    ...Sooo was sooty giving Sue a portion?
    Her name was spelt Soo not Sue. Even I made that mistake a bit when I was younger.

    Leave a comment:


  • tex
    replied
    Re: Sweep

    ...Sooo was sooty giving Sue a portion?

    Leave a comment:


  • George 1978
    replied
    Re: Sweep

    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought that it was either about: A) the memories of housework and having to sweep things off the floor; B) the memories of the late Dale Winton's 9.25 am game show; or: C) the memories of Sooty's canine pal from his children's TV show. I was correct with the third option.

    I am certain that I keep hearing Sweep's "voice" when I hear the instrumental part of various songs such as Ian Dury's "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" or the Commodores' "Easy Like Sunday Morning". Or indeed anything that needs oiling.

    He even remained monochrome when The Sooty Show went into colour. Does anyone remember Sweep (and Sooty for that matter) bouncing on a trampoline during the Matthew Corbett era of the 1980s, proving that no puppeteer was operating them? Something that would never happen to Zippy and George on Rainbow...

    Leave a comment:


  • www.doyouremember.co.uk
    started a topic Sweep

    Sweep

    In 1957, Harry H Corbett introduced Sweep the squeeky dog to the Sooty Show as Sooty's bestest friend. Sweep played the xylophone and sprinkled magic Oofle Dust everywhichway. Sooty & Sweep made a double-act to rival the very best of British Variety acts.(Oh no, they didn't! - Oh yes, they did!). Sweep was as mad with his incessant squeaking and erratic behaviour and his love of sizzling sausages...all the children loved him.In 1976, the reins of the show were handed over from Harry H Corbett to Matthew Corbett (Jnr.) who brought some welcome vitality to the act. Throughout the 80's and into the 90's the Sooty concept was being constantly developed, embracing new audiences and changing tastes.

    More...
Working...
X