X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elbmek
    replied
    Re: Live Aid - Biggest mistake of my life

Sadly true, a lot of bands could not perform live as they relied on electronics to make them sound 'good'.

Leave a comment:

• scotchmist
    replied

I was glued to the telly for most of the event, twas very exciting because of the live element and you just did not know what was going to happen next. I was very much into the Thompson Twins at the time and when they eventually came on stage I photographed them off the telly screen!! I've still got the pictures but unfortunately they sounded awful and I was so embarrassed and some of my work colleagues slagged me off about how terrible they sounded.

Leave a comment:

• chrisredditch
    replied

Originally posted by chilligrape View Post
    i can't stand dylan, maybe people cover his songs cos they know they will sound better singing them.
    Search out a song by BD called "Hurricane" it might change your opinion to how good he really is.

Leave a comment:

• chilligrape
    replied

Originally posted by Dr. Hfuhruhurr View Post
    Fair enough.. but Dylan was an original, hence his lasting fame and the amount of people covering his classic songs.
    I know he can't sing..HE knows he can't sing, but the songs are fantastic.
    I don't get it.. hate Dylan, but love Oasis?? a band how have never had an original musical thought in their entire career??
    From the ripped offPistols/T-Rex riffs to the Lennon sneer.. they are plagarists

I like a lot of music from 60's 70's 80's and 90's, I have a very varied musical tate. i can't stand dylan, maybe people cover his songs cos they know they will sound better singing them.

Leave a comment:

• sixtyten
    replied

Fair enough.. but Dylan was an original, hence his lasting fame and the amount of people covering his classic songs.
    I know he can't sing..HE knows he can't sing, but the songs are fantastic.
    I don't get it.. hate Dylan, but love Oasis?? a band how have never had an original musical thought in their entire career??
    From the ripped offPistols/T-Rex riffs to the Lennon sneer.. they are plagarists

Leave a comment:

• Kiop
    replied

I watched all of it, some on the main TV downstairs and the rest on my portable in my bedroom when the family went to bed. I was about to switch it off in the early hours of the morning and go to sleep, but while I was considering it a huge thunderstorm broke so I stayed up and watched the rest figuring I wouldn't be able to sleep because of the storm anyway.

Leave a comment:

• chilligrape
    replied

Originally posted by Dr. Hfuhruhurr View Post
    Dylan WAS great..not anymore, and not at Live Aid.
    Dylan does nothing whatsoever for me, in fact I can't bear him!!!

Leave a comment:

• sixtyten
    replied

Dylan WAS great..not anymore, and not at Live Aid.

Leave a comment:

• chilligrape
    replied

Originally posted by Lord Clod View Post
    Shocked and stunned...shocked and stunned....
    I'm with you....how anybody can deny the greatness of the performers at live aid is beyond me....mind you Daz does state that Dylan was great...each to their own.

Leave a comment:

• kazboot
    replied

I watched most of it on tv that day in between having a barbecue, it was a beautiful day.
    It was an amazing event, but now all I can really remember is Status Quo kicking off with 'Rockin' All Over The World' and the unforgettable Freddie Mercury performance with Queen. Magic.

Leave a comment:

• Derekflint
    replied

I missed most of the early part - I was watching Planet of the Apes for the first time - 'Damn you all to hell!'

I love that movie.

Leave a comment:

• agfagaevart
    replied

Originally posted by Lord Clod View Post
    Its still one of my biggest regrets...
    Don't worry man. If you had gone, you would've missed ol' Bob Geldof's rant about not going down the pub. And when David Hepworth said he'd like to read out the address, Bob replied "F**k the address!" This shocked even poor Sarah Green.

Leave a comment:

• Elbmek
    replied

It was one of those gigs I was glad I never went to, if I had to listen to Geldof crying one more time, I would SCREAM!!!!

Leave a comment:

• RogerMoore
    replied

Watched it all day on TV - i still remember the shock of Bob Geldof saying the F word live!

Leave a comment:

• curmudgeon
    replied

I was there. It was hot, sweaty, the sound quality was apalling, the performers were, in the main, average, but the spirit was phenomenal. I have never before or since been in such a large group of hot uncomfortable people in which nobody lost their temper or got in the slightest bit shirty. A wonderful day. Got home at about midnight, gatecrashed a party at the nurses' home and dined out on the 'I was there' routine. Marvellous.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X