Top 3 Favourite Consoles Ever !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top 3 Favourite Consoles Ever !

Yeah you are exactly right there Sly with the point about the PS2 hype effectively killing off Dreamcast. I never owned a Dreamcast but my mate did and he had some cracking games for it, infact I don't think he ever had one that was really that bad. Funnily enough I did and still do own a PS2 and I have to be honest, I don't rate the PS2 era highly at all. I think if I had to think about it I would come up with only around 4-5 PS2 games which I felt were truly great. The Dreamcast on the other hand, where do you begin, so many great games.

Comment

The PS2 had a lot going for it. It never really won me over though. I own a PS3 and hardly play on it. I won't be getting a PS4, I'm going PC mainly next gen.

Comment

I loved my ps1 and ps2 equally. I never had the same feelings about the ps3. I enjoy a level or 2 of 'portal 2' now and then, and i use it for Blu ray, but most of the newer games just don't hold my interest for long. Maybe it's my age.

Not sure i will be bothering with the next gen, either. Will stick to retro gaming.

Comment

never had a megadrive but did have a dreamcast many many yrs ago back in the eighties.
          it really did have some cracker games.

dreamcast only sega console i ever had.

never had a megadrive but im trying to put that right now.
          as well as get some of those i never had.

ive a Japanese Snes which came with its original box near mint and the games for it are superb a lot of which never got a release over here.
          fantastic artwork on them as my Jap Yoshi's Island an example.

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
          Good choice Barry, I love my Megadrives (I have several) plus the Mega CD & 32X.
          Masses of great games, and gorgeous artwork on the Japanese games. Although the UK & US covers were horrible.
          It didn't make my top 3, but it's probably my most played console of all time.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I appreciate the input guys, but this particular thread is consoles only.
            Make another selection, if you don't mind.
            Cheers.
            probably the SNES then, in place of C64

Comment

Originally posted by Moondog View Post
              probably the SNES then, in place of C64
              Cheers Moondog,
              The SNES is getting a lot of love here.
              I can still remember the first time I saw one, I played Super Mario World & Super Tennis, it completely blew me away.
              Within a week I had sold my Megadrive & all it's games to buy a SNES. (I did buy another Megadrive a year or so later).

However, I seem to be the only person here who has voted for the Vectrex & the PC Engine.
              I know that in 2013 these consoles are fairly obscure, but they are truly amazing pieces of kit.
              Surely one of you must have owned & loved these classic consoles.

Comment

I've seen more Virtual Boys than I have PC Engines.

Comment

yeah PC Engine was rare in the UK, never seen one in my life, or a Vectrex lol

Comment

Stuff like that should be museum pieces, from a cultural standpoint of someone who plays videogames some of these systems are stories of legend seeing as they're not readily available and are only going to get rarer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                      I've seen more Virtual Boys than I have PC Engines.
                      Although most people seemed to hate it, I really liked the Virtual Boy.
                      OK, the games were rather simple, and it could give you a bit of a headache, but it was a total one off.
                      Some Nintendo innovations work & some don't, but at least they have always been true originals.

Comment

Also I should add, my choice of the PC Engine is with the CD rom drive.
                        Some absolutely incredible games were released on CD only,
                        Games like Akumajō Dracula X Chi no Rondo, Alzadick: Summer Carnival '92, Gain Ground SX, Gate of Thunder, Image Fight II, Popful Mail, R-Type Complete, Rayxanber II, Rayxanber IIl, Seirei Senshi Spriggan, Space Fantasy Zone, Spriggan Mark 2: Re Terraform Project, Star Parodia, Summer Carnival '93 - Nexzr Special, plus many other awesome games.

These can all be emulated on your PC with emulators such as Magic Engine or Ootake.
                        It's definitely worth spending the 5 minutes it takes to setup the emulators because some of these games are amazing.

Comment

none of these ive played or even heard of.

but ill agree some wonderful games have been released on CD mate.

Also I should add, my choice of the PC Engine is with the CD rom drive.
                          Some absolutely incredible games were released on CD only,
                          Games like Akumajō Dracula X Chi no Rondo, Alzadick: Summer Carnival '92, Gain Ground SX, Gate of Thunder, Image Fight II, Popful Mail, R-Type Complete, Rayxanber II, Rayxanber IIl, Seirei Senshi Spriggan, Space Fantasy Zone, Spriggan Mark 2: Re Terraform Project, Star Parodia, Summer Carnival '93 - Nexzr Special, plus many other awesome games.

These can all be emulated on your PC with emulators such as Magic Engine or Ootake.
                          It's definitely worth spending the 5 minutes it takes to setup the emulators because some of these games are amazing.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            none of these ive played or even heard of.
                            Seriously mate, you should try the emulators I linked to.
                            Or even better, buy yourself a console.
                            I guarantee that you won't be disapointed.

Comment

spectrum 48k
                              mega drive
                              ps1
                              THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                                spectrum 48k
                                Cool choices, but the Speccy can't go here, this is for consoles only, computers will go in another thread.
                                I love the Spectrum more than anybody, but it isn't a console.
                                Make another choice dude.

Comment

Working...
                                X