The golden years of gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The golden years of gaming

from the Atari 2600 'woody', thru Mega Drive (saw Desert Strike playing in Currys shop window circa 1991 and HAD to have it!), to SNES,Jaguar (Alien v Predator top game...esp when the Pred cackles), PS1, PS2 (Tomb Raider series, Vice City.... Ico..anyone rmember that?)

now? PC games esp the online Call of Duty series....but most recently I have been on the 360 full time! Fable 2 , Gears of War, Bioshock, and right now I'm obsessed with Fallout 3, what a game!!

I also keep nipping back to my PS to play Tomb Raider 1, and to the Mega Drive to play Landstalker..fab game!
    sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Rossobantam, nice one for mentioning ICO, I actually ended up getting a copy because everybody said how good it was and the gaming press couldn't praise it enough. I'm really glad I listened to their advice because ICO is an absolute classic, incredibly beautiful but terribly haunting at the same time. What I love about it is the fact that it leaves so many questions unanswered and lets you use your imagination to fill in some of the gaps, a prequel of sorts was released a few years later called Shadow of The Colossus and I recommend it highly.

An interesting thing about ICO is that the first versions released on the PS2 in a cardboard sleeve and with free art cards can go for very high prices today.

Comment

Nearly everything that i own that runs on electricity is made by Sony. I had a PS 1 and loved playing Resident evil 1,2 and 3 but most of the other games i found to be quite linear (die hard, alien trilogy) so I decided to go for an x box when the next generation was released and wasn't disappointed. I now have a 360. Unfortunately my 17 month old demands that I have little time to use it.
        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
          Rossobantam, nice one for mentioning ICO, I actually ended up getting a copy because everybody said how good it was and the gaming press couldn't praise it enough. I'm really glad I listened to their advice because ICO is an absolute classic, incredibly beautiful but terribly haunting at the same time. What I love about it is the fact that it leaves so many questions unanswered and lets you use your imagination to fill in some of the gaps, a prequel of sorts was released a few years later called Shadow of The Colossus and I recommend it highly.

An interesting thing about ICO is that the first versions released on the PS2 in a cardboard sleeve and with free art cards can go for very high prices today.
          Mainly because Sony didn't think it would sell, so they didn't make too many. Thankfully, when Colossus came out, Sony rereleased Ico - just before they did, I tried to get a copy from France, but Amazon Marketplace is useless overseas.

Comment

for me the golden age of gaming was the late seventies and the entirety of the eighties,and the ninties to some extent.

gaming in those days was fun.
            a lot of the games where very basic.
            games like pac man and space invaders.

i loved the way games took asges to load.
            the old cassette game consoles like the c64 and speccy.
            some games like untouchables loaded after each stage very odd.

you could make your dinner and eat it by the time a game had loaded.

i have modern consoles.
            but rarely play them.
            instead i play my snes and nes and my speccy.
            some days its jsw other days its link to the past or megaman.
            i even love the silly mistakes they made in games back then.

who remembers double dragon 3.
            instead of the brothers being called billy and jimmy as they should have been,they called billy bimmy.
            even games on the n64 where fun like dk 64 and oot.
            two of the vey best games ever.

another bad poin which i like is in megaman gams when you beat a boss he keeps exploding after he has actually long died.lol.

the gaming industry for me is no longer about fun.
            its all about money.
            first and foremost gaming is meant to be fun.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

here are a few links of such games.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVH1mCc5EvU
              and.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Ao63nmzuE
              and another
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JU0C_l4aac
              and one more.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8zd1ZR-hc
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Get a load of this then!
                WWW.COOLROMS.COM and SNES9X (this DOES work with an XBOX 360 controller). I've tried these and they DO work and coolroms has a forum wehere you can discuss gaming as well, aqs does WWW.WORLDOFSPECTRUM.COM.
                then there's also WWW.SPECTRUMGAMES.NET
                PM me for results..
                WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Just been to see Tron Legacy 3D at the IMAX at the National Media Museum in Bradford. They've moved the gift shop and there is now a games lounge. Loads of old arcade machines, various consoles that can be played, and some oldies like Atari 2600, ZX81 and VIC20 in plexiglass boxes in mint condition. Some game-related gifts in the gift shop eg. ice cube tray that makes ice cubes in the shape of space invaders.

The punters seemed to be enjoying it when I walked through anyway.

The National Media Museum is a great place for retro addicts, if you're in the area.

Comment

Working...
                  X